Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Best way to bolt on bolt on sliders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if one was to use a 1/8 or 1/4 inch plate on the back side of the frame to help prevent crushing it with the bolt going all the way through. Would this be better than the self tapping method? I know it wouldnt be better than the sleeve method but i dont want to go through all that trouble and im not going to be bashing them that hard. Oh and i am going to use the pinch weld too. Do i even need to worry about anything more than the self tappers and maybe an L-shaped bracket?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ssbogger
What if one was to use a 1/8 or 1/4 inch plate on the back side of the frame to help prevent crushing it with the bolt going all the way through. Would this be better than the self tapping method? I know it wouldnt be better than the sleeve method but i dont want to go through all that trouble and im not going to be bashing them that hard. Oh and i am going to use the pinch weld too. Do i even need to worry about anything more than the self tappers and maybe an L-shaped bracket?
Yes, adding large washers or plates to the inner face of the frame is another option. If the bolt is near the bottom or top of the frame rail, you have the added strength of the bottom or top of the frame rail to help with crushing as well. You could use 1 or 2 bottom bolts through the frame this way and leave any other bolts self-tapping.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 AM

Funny thing happend

I was pulling my gas tank on the weekend to do the Fuel TSB and had to remove a slider to do it. When putting the slider back on, I stripped one of the self tappers Fortunately I had a backup plan. So much for the self tappers being infalable.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LarsDennert
I was pulling my gas tank on the weekend to do the Fuel TSB and had to remove a slider to do it. When putting the slider back on, I stripped one of the self tappers Fortunately I had a backup plan. So much for the self tappers being infalable.
For sure, its easy to damage the threads if you are not real careful. That is one reason I drill 6 holes on my mounting brackets for the 4 mounting bolts. If a one hole becomes stripped or otherwise unuseable, another is nearby to use. Or you can tap all 6 holes and use some regular 3/8-16 bolts in the additional ones, or drill through the frame in one or more places.

One of the reasons I'm running sleeved lower bolts on my sliders is that I wore out the tapped holes (I used a regular threading tap when I did mine, cut threads nowhere near as good as the formed threads made by a self-tapping bolt) and ended up wearing out the threads since I had my first set of slider on and off so many times as I was working on the design. The upper holes were still fine, but the lowers wore out. I just drilled through the frame then installed a steel sleeve and welded it in place and used a 2" square washer on the inside.

I also do a non-welded sleeve option on my sliders:

by threading pipe into the bracket and and then you only need to make one large hole in the frame for the pipe to pass through, it get cut to just the inside dimension of the frame rail and when bolted together, the sleeve keeps the frame from crushing.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Roger,

I was talking with a guy who has worked in the automotive industry for many years about using self-tapping screws to mount my sliders and he suggested "dimpling" in the pre-drilled holes before putting the screws in. Basically flaring inward the lip of the hole slightly so that when the screw gets tightened it pulls it back to almost the original position. It made sense to me that this extra little procedure would help prevent any "pull-through" of the screw. What do you think? Also, no one has mentioned anything about pre-tapping the frame itself and then using a normal bolt, is this not a good idea because of the frames wall being too thin?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Never tried dimpling, would take a fair bit of force on the frame rail. The self-tapping bolt form the threads, unlike a tap that cuts them, so they end up forcing the exta steel out inside the frame rail, resulting in a few extra threads than you would get with cut threads.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bobzemuda

"Note: For off-road use, we recommend placing a 1" long tack weld on each frame mounting plate for etra security"

Are there people that put sliders on their trucks and don't off road?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Sure, I suspect a lot of the Xterra and Pathfinder silders I do are more for on-road or very mild off-road use. Many of the customers are more concerned about their functionality as a step than how they work off-road:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...derZ.shtml#NXT
Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 AM

Lately I've been welding them on for people (this is not an offer, just info) who have older trucks and never intend to take them off. That seems to work the best unless you're going to BL which in all cases you have to mod the sliders again. I've found that I probably should have welded mine to begin with as I never take them off.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 AM

Buy Auveco body hardware and fasteners, including tapping bolts.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

I also have a threaded insert for installing sliders now as well. Drill a hole, place the insert into the hole and use a simple tool to compress the insert into place.

Insert to theleft, self tapping bolt to the right:

Self-tapped hole front and insert hole to the back:

Holes pre-drilled, self tap above, inserts below:

Crushing the insert:

All done:

Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Roger,

Do you sell these threaded inserts? If not where can you get them? Several of the bottom tapped holes on my sliders have stripped.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, the inserts run $3/ea. or 8 for $20 (enough for the bottom bolts on all 4 brackets) and the installation tool runs $30.00 (can be returned for a $20.00 refund).

Last edited by 4Crawler; 04-10-2007 at 01:11 PM.