Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bad decision?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad decision?

Hey all, a few of you might remember I had an unusual noise a couple weeks back that couldn't be identified...well, it started howling like a banshee two days ago so I had no choice but to take it in. Turns out is was indeed the water pump. Looks like it wasn't changed when the T-belt was done (big surprise). Of course the tech recommends I replace T-belt, pulleys, tensioners, etc while he's in there. He guesses there's maybe 40-60k since the last change as everything is still in pretty good shape (his opinion, I haven't seen it yet) Long story short, since buying this '97 SR5 4x4 with 125K (less than 3 months ago), I've put in a new starter, flushed all fluids and then got hit on the licensing, tax, etc ...needless to say, I'm pretty tapped out right now and the Wife is threatening divorce if I put another dollar into the toy.

Fortunately she's out of town...for now ;-0

Cost to do everything right is just over $900!!! It killled me to do it, but I had to make the decision to replace the pump only and keep all of the existing belts, etc... Tech feels pretty comfortable with it and said I should be fine for at least another year or so w/ average driving, miles, etc What do you guys think? I really would have liked to replace it all, but I just couldn't swing it at this time. I figure if I have to go back in next year and spend another $500 or so then it's better than spending it when I dont' have it (can't bear to see another $1K on the credit card). I know it's not the best decision, but is it the worst given my situation? Of course it will bug the heck out of me until I go back in and change it all, but I had to do what I had to do...Whaddya' think, am I totally screwed?!?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

You have to make those kind of decisions sometimes based on finances. I think you did the right thing. It is a risk that you had to take.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by iaonbb
Hey all, a few of you might remember I had an unusual noise a couple weeks back that couldn't be identified...well, it started howling like a banshee two days ago so I had no choice but to take it in. Turns out is was indeed the water pump. Looks like it wasn't changed when the T-belt was done (big surprise). Of course the tech recommends I replace T-belt, pulleys, tensioners, etc while he's in there. He guesses there's maybe 40-60k since the last change as everything is still in pretty good shape (his opinion, I haven't seen it yet) Long story short, since buying this '97 SR5 4x4 with 125K (less than 3 months ago), I've put in a new starter, flushed all fluids and then got hit on the licensing, tax, etc ...needless to say, I'm pretty tapped out right now and the Wife is threatening divorce if I put another dollar into the toy.

Fortunately she's out of town...for now ;-0

Cost to do everything right is just over $900!!! It killled me to do it, but I had to make the decision to replace the pump only and keep all of the existing belts, etc... Tech feels pretty comfortable with it and said I should be fine for at least another year or so w/ average driving, miles, etc What do you guys think? I really would have liked to replace it all, but I just couldn't swing it at this time. I figure if I have to go back in next year and spend another $500 or so then it's better than spending it when I dont' have it (can't bear to see another $1K on the credit card). I know it's not the best decision, but is it the worst given my situation? Of course it will bug the heck out of me until I go back in and change it all, but I had to do what I had to do...Whaddya' think, am I totally screwed?!?

Where are you located?

If your in northern VA or southern MD DC area your in luck I have a local ASE certified mechanic who does all my work for me. I got timing belt, waterpump all belts changed for 372 including all parts bought from NAPA. He gest a discount being that he works at a shop and buys al his parts from there.

Find a good local mechanic, use craigslist.org if you have to.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO the work yourslef, and put $600 back in your pocket.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't worry about it. i have 139k on my original belt in my 99...
Old 07-08-2005, 12:38 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
and I have 214k on mine...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

the Wife is threatening divorce if I put another dollar into the toy.
I think I'd be seeking professional counseling from a divorce lawyer
Old 07-08-2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyK
Where are you located?

If your in northern VA or southern MD DC area your in luck I have a local ASE certified mechanic who does all my work for me. I got timing belt, waterpump all belts changed for 372 including all parts bought from NAPA. He gest a discount being that he works at a shop and buys al his parts from there.

Find a good local mechanic, use craigslist.org if you have to.
Hook me up I need a good mechanic in this area...PM me
Old 07-08-2005, 03:23 PM

You belts will probably be fine. It would be more expensive to sell the 4runner and buy another vehicle especially a new one to avoid repairs (think 48 months of $400+). Repairs just cluster sometimes.
Buy her some flowers take her out for dinner or something.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:41 AM

Hey, guys thanks for the replies...Wife got home and took it fairly well. She's just starting to despise the toy a bit, thinking it's a money pit, lemon, etc... I on the other hand have more faith that it will be asolid runner for years to come once I get past a few initial hurdles....It really is a solid truck.

Update: Stopped by the shop yesterday while they has everything apart. T-belt looks brand new, all of the parts with bearings are smooth. I would bet there's not even 20k on everything since the previous owner changed. I feel much better about it now. I was shocked at how big the belt was. Mechanic says it is one of the best, longest lasting belts out there - thank you Toyota for over engineering everything! He assurred me I have several thousand miles left before I'll ever have to crack open the front again. I'm guessing as much as 60k or more...Whew! Cross your fingers for me..I need about a year or so with no probs to avoid the wrath of Mon (Wife's name is Monica) haha Now, how am I going to get her to let me still buy a new stereo, speakers, DVD, brush guard, tires, shocks....oh boy.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, guys thanks for the replies...Wife got home and took it fairly well. She's just starting to despise the toy a bit, thinking it's a money pit, lemon, etc... I on the other hand have more faith that it will be asolid runner for years to come once I get past a few initial hurdles....It really is a solid truck.

Update: Stopped by the shop yesterday while they has everything apart. T-belt looks brand new, all of the parts with bearings are smooth. I would bet there's not even 20k on everything since the previous owner changed. I feel much better about it now. I was shocked at how big the belt was. Mechanic says it is one of the best, longest lasting belts out there - thank you Toyota for over engineering everything! He assurred me I have several thousand miles left before I'll ever have to crack open the front again. I'm guessing as much as 60k or more...Whew! Cross your fingers for me..I need about a year or so with no probs to avoid the wrath of Mon (Wife's name is Monica) haha Now, how am I going to get her to let me still buy a new stereo, speakers, DVD, brush guard, tires, shocks....oh boy.
I'm going through the same thing....this thing has nickel and dimed me to death but runs smoothe now that I have most of the kinks worked out. Everytime something goes out it seems like I just take it in stride while the significant other is in the background flipping it off out the window But it takes time especially for us poor guys when we want the mods. It took me over a year to get new rims and tires and the tax check come in handy for that! You'll get everything ironed out tho
Old 07-09-2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
and I have 214k on mine...
That gives me faith