Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Argh! I just can't win! :( (detailing rant)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Argh! I just can't win! :( (detailing rant)

Ok, so it seems like I just can't win. Some one must really hate me, because I can't seem to get this detailing game down. Keep in mind I'm not talking about polishing or waxing, mainly just drying.

Now, I've been using a regular chamois to dry since I've had my own car (and now truck.) I've tried using things like the Absorber and some other synthetic chamois but nothing seems to pick up water and leave a streak-free surface like a regular leather chamois. The only downside to using a leather chamois is that they seem to crumble and leave behind a lot of debris which is really visible against black paint. This really creates a problem for me as its almost time to polish/wax my truck and I don't want to have to dust off my truck before waxing.

After reading Corey's/Griots Garage page it came as kind of a surprise to me that there are still people out there who dry their rigs with cotton towels. But my question is, how the hell do you dry with a cotton towel? Cotton terry towels seem to leave behind a lot more debris than chamois do, especially when you rub it across a wet surface. Am I doing something wrong here? I've tried both drying without washing them (towels) AND putting the towels through one cycle and they left behind a lot of debris both times. Should I maybe put the towels through another wash cycle to see if that would help? I should imagine that the towels will completely disintegrate if I did.

Phew, glad I got that out of the way.. sorry if it seems jumbled and non-sequiter like.

So, am I really doing something wrong here? It seems to me like I just can't win. I've ordered the microfiber drying towel from Griots Garage to see if that will help, but I imagine there's going to be a lot of wringing in order to completely dry my truck. Anyone have any advice they could offer? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Contributing Member

Detailing

Personally I use 2 Chamois on my car. One to take most of the water off and the other to polish.

I then use some window cleaners scrim to take of the last few marks and it seems to work.

My polishing chamois doesn't drop debris cos it's not ever getting abused. The window cleaners scrim doesn't shed anyway (i think they are made out of woven linen but I'm not sure.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2003, 01:31 AM
Contributing Member

You will be very happy with the microfiber towel. I can dry my entire exterior of my 4Runner with 1 microfiber towel without wringing. For everything else, door jambs and under the hood, I will dry using a 100% cotton towel.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

What exactly is a scrim though?

Its good to hear that about the drying towel though. Unfortunately though its on backorder until the 11th and I was planning on waxing before that. Oh well, I guess it'll have to wait
Old 07-09-2003, 01:50 AM

I will definately back up the microfiber towel comment. They are great, and leave behind no lint or anything else. I can't dry mine with one, it usually takes two or three, but that's no big deal.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with the microfiber drying towel. That thing is the schitz! I actually just ordered another one because it's been taking me a little longer than I want to dry my truck with only one. With two, I can get one soaked, hang it up to dry some, and use the other.

The only downside is it is pretty difficult to wring out because it wants to hold the water. I found if you fold it in half length wise that is the easiest way to wring it out but it works perfectly.

Another tip I got from Griots is to spray on their Speed Shine when drying, to enhance the shine and make the wax last longer. It works great.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:04 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
urusai, I take it you saw my tip for using the Griot's Micro Fiber drying towel on my detail site?

I had used a big 100% cotton bath towel since '75.
Lots of wringing...

Since getting the Griot's towel, I can wipe down the whole rig without wringing it out, and also do the rig in one pass, not two like before.

Another trick I knew about, but had not practiced in years is called "sheeting."

What you do at the very end of your rig wash session is to take the end of the hose off and not use the sprayer.
Just use the hose and let the water come out of it naturally.

Start at the top and work down.
The sheeting method doesn't leave behind all of the little water droplets, and there is virtually no water left behind to even wipe off.

Give that a try and see if it makes a difference for you also.
It should.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:45 AM

I use a Calf. Water Blade to take most of the water off, then use The Absorber to remove the remaining. The Absorber is the best thing I've found to remove water. Just remember, is has to be wet to start and wrung out 3-4 times during drying, just like a chamois. I have found that different water sources (well, city) can greatly increasae spotting from chemicals. Also the surface needs to be completely cool while washing/drying. Like others have said MF's are great but I think they need to be wrung out way too many times. Condition of paint/polish could also contribute. A great source of info into detailing is http://www.autopia.org/ . Always use the search feature first and you should find more than enough info.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use either Cannon or Fieldcrest 100% new white cotton towels, tags removed, washed and dried three times before first use in a scent and softener-free detergent. Those two towel brands are the ONLY towels that are pure cotton, others (especially "imports") have are an abrasive blend even if they claim 100% cotton. I use the mid-sized towel, about half the size of a full bath towel, available from Bed, Bath and Beyond for $2/ea. I use one to dry the top painted half, another for the lower plastic parts and rocker area, and a third for interior surfaces and glass. They also make excellent polish and wax removers. At the price, you can afford to get new ones every couple of years when the fabric starts to mat. Note: don't remove the sewn edges or they will unravel.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto to what Highland Runner said. I use the California Water Blade and a synthetic chamois to get out all the places I miss. I've gotten so good w/ the CWB that I hardly use the synthetic chamois anymore.

Bob
Old 07-09-2003, 07:50 AM

California Blade followed by microfiber towel. As it was mentioned always remove the tags from the towels and only wash using liquid detergent. Store in plastic bags when dry When using the cotton towels, either cut or fold under the quilted ends.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

I have completely given up on drying my truck. It will NEVER be good enough when I do, and I just get pissed about it. I've tried the Absorber and it is worthless on black paint but seems to work fine on others. I've tried micro fiber towels but still don't get satisfactory results. In the end, my solution is to hit the whole rig with the hot wax and one final rinse, (I have to wash my truck at the DIY car washes since I live in an apartment) and drive around a bit to let the wind blow the water off. When I get home, I take one of the microfiber towels and use the Speedshine type product to get rid of any waterspots remaining and the doorjams. Seems to work okay for me.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:29 AM

after you wash it, take it on the freeway and drive 100mph for about 15mins, *warning try at your own risk* hahahaha
Old 07-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

One word: Microfiber

Simple, yet to the point.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Exactly.
As I mentioned above, I can dry off the big white beast in ONE pass now, and not have to wring out the towel.
It truly works.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

I am in with the California Water Blade and the synthetic chamois.

I also use an electric blower to hit all the trim locations, badges,
lights and gaps. Blow the extra water out and soak it up too.
That method seems to work pretty well.

~Wade
Old 07-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally posted by castrolSi
I also use an electric blower to hit all the trim locations, badges,
lights and gaps. Blow the extra water out and soak it up too.
That method seems to work pretty well.

~Wade
Mr. Griot also recommends the blower treatment.
He also recommends waxing your rig in the nude, but I am not up for that
Old 07-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

He also recommends waxing your rig in the nude, but I am not up for that
So, that what those funny looking swirl marks are from

I wouldn't use those California Water Blades - My neighbor uses
it on his nice new dark blue Ford Pickup and has some serious scratches from it.

I get rid of water stains etc.. from drying by using the Zaino Gloss Enhancer Spray and micro fiber towels. This is the same as using the Griot's Speed Shine spray.

If you keep a good coating of Griots or Zainos on your Rig the water spots should easily wipe off with the "Quick Detail" spray
Old 07-09-2003, 12:50 PM

I use a steady stream of running water ,then use a electric leaf blower to blow off most/all of water.

Lastly I use waffle microfiber towel to dry.

Last edited by ripper7; 07-09-2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ALBPM
So, that what those funny looking swirl marks are from

I wouldn't use those California Water Blades - My neighbor uses
it on his nice new dark blue Ford Pickup and has some serious scratches from it.

I get rid of water stains etc.. from drying by using the Zaino Gloss Enhancer Spray and micro fiber towels. This is the same as using the Griot's Speed Shine spray.

If you keep a good coating of Griots or Zainos on your Rig the water spots should easily wipe off with the "Quick Detail" spray
Scratches aren't from the California Water blade... that thing couldn't
scratch butter, it's so soft...

Quick Reply: Argh! I just can't win! :( (detailing rant)