Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

anyone here in the military

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, also someone said the USCG which used to be DOT, and now is DOHS? and resides under DOD under war times, so right now is it in that situatiopn or is this not really "war" right now?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:44 PM

If you look at this from the USCG's website, you will see how the Coast Guard has been shifted around over time. During both WWI and WWII, it was shifted under the control of the Navy Department. Subsequently it was transferred back to the Treasury Department, then later to the newly formed Department of Transportation.

Finally, it has come to rest under the Department of Homeland Security, as of 1 March 2003.

It's hard to say if now, during an actual "war" if the Coast Guard would align under the Department of the Navy again, since presumably during a war the Department of Homeland Security would need to increase its diligence in defending our nation. It'd probably be best to ask someone actually in the Coast Guard.

As a side note, during Desert Storm I (and in the intervening years) Coast Guard personnel would be assigned to navy ships operating in the gulf to perform maritime interdiction in verification of the embargo and UN sanctions. That was because Coast Guard personnel were considered 'law enforcement' and could legally detain personnel.

~Bill
Old 03-19-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by maddmatt02
oh, and I know there is school in the service but it is what you are gonna do, you dont have to study english and history if you wanna be an AT/ rescue swimmer
On the contrary, if you want to make any rank above E-5 college will play a huge role, regardless of branch.
The way of the dumb high school drop out/convict service member is a thing of the past.
Also you have to think about the future., Trust me I know, I was Infantry for 6 years and was content killing the enemy, but things change, like your body, so you gotta plan accordingly.
Not to mention you have to leave the military some time and leaving without an education (at least a AA degree for a short tour) is a waste.
With 100% Tuition assistance, online courses and education centers on every post how much easier could it be ( not to mention the college credit you get for your military experience/training).

Dont forget to give all the branch's a visit before deciding, dont put blinders on to just one branch.

Let us know the outcome.