Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone else breaking CVs with Toytech OME 3" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hross14
Yeah, I dont understand what is happening--i am running 35's open up front, 2.5" SS #7 and i have yet to break a front CV (I expect it to happen though just not all the time). Maybe there is something about this combo that just isnt right?
You nailed it...SS did his homework. His kit works. The latest SS kit doesn't use a topout at all. A 3/4" topout will cause too much droop, end of story.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
You nailed it...SS did his homework. His kit works. The latest SS kit doesn't use a topout at all. A 3/4" topout will cause too much droop, end of story.
Ohhh---come on dad one more before bed time

Yes he did do his homework--wish i had waited for his bumper sale though--Doohhhh!!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Maybe you can use thicker upper bump stops or spacers on the bump stops to limit the CV angles. That way you keep the lift but limit the droop. I think if you have lockers droop is over-rated anyway. I am just about at full droop sitting flat on the ground. Its a sacrafice I made to help with CV life.
Just for clarification, do 3rd gens have bump stops that limit droop? I thought that was the whole flaw that prevents us from going over 3" for any reason (without a bracket lift), as well as avoiding too-long front shocks. Thanks, and sorry for the mini-hijack
Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 AM

His latest kit uses the adjustable Bilsteins for ride height. What about topout spacers makes the geometry different than a shock gaining the height?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4biker
Just for clarification, do 3rd gens have bump stops that limit droop? I thought that was the whole flaw that prevents us from going over 3" for any reason (without a bracket lift), as well as avoiding too-long front shocks. Thanks, and sorry for the mini-hijack
No, they do not. The 2nd gens did.

Originally Posted by Man4God
His latest kit uses the adjustable Bilsteins for ride height. What about topout spacers makes the geometry different than a shock gaining the height?
The topout extends the length of the shock, whereas an adjustable shock only moves the spring up within the same length...does that make sense?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4biker
Just for clarification, do 3rd gens have bump stops that limit droop?
I don't know Maybe that's the problem. My upper control arm doesn't have them, but its not factory and came with limit straps.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-13-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
The topout extends the length of the shock, whereas an adjustable shock only moves the spring up within the same length...does that make sense?
Yes, that makes sense. More or less, it moves the available travel downward as opposed to streching out the spring with adjustable shocks.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Goin
2 times "really wheeling" and 2 broken CV's.
Like I have said so many times, front shock length is extremely critical. Read over our FAQ's, it is all explained in there.

It is not driver error.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice limit straps Steve:
http://www.sonoransteel.com/Front_Strap_Installed.jpg
Old 05-13-2008, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will remove the spacer for now and see if things improve. I will be sure to report after the next trip.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 PM

I know you didn't take pictures of your rig on the trail when it happened, but did you by chance take any pictures of the broken cv? I'm running the same OME setup as you (for a little over six months), and want to look for warning signs.... Is the pop sound something you will distinctively hear? Also, how much is it to replace a cv? I thought the front diff drop we both have was supposed to prevent cv damage when doing moderate off roading.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Boostin00
Is the pop sound something you will distinctively hear?
Yes...usually a click, click, ckick, snap (outer) or just a loud snap (shaft).

Also, how much is it to replace a cv?
About $200 for a new after market Half Shaft (Approx. $90 core charge) A a Toyota half shaft is much more expensive.

I thought the front diff drop we both have was supposed to prevent cv damage when doing moderate off roading.
It can't prevent damage. It does change the angles slightly, IMO it helps mainly with wear on the boots.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

As long as you stay on the road, you will not have any problems. If your front shock is too long and it is a very small bit longer that will do it, the CV's will bind and rip the cage out. You did not brake an axle you ripped the cage out from binding. This will only happen if you really go off-road and flex the truck out. With a front shock that is too long.

Also there is another side to the coin, the 3.4 hs enough power to break axles, but in that case you will know it as you will have your ARB front locker engage and spinning all 4 tires at once. This will be obvious, the shock to long does not take much, it is easy to do.

Also we tested our kits in Pritchett Canyon in Moab. They survived, that is the ultimate in testing for these 3rd gens. Also we ran an FJC through there with the lower links, only 2 FJ have run that trail as of that date in 2007.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
That could be a part of the problem
I sure hope you all are wrong. I just swapped out my OEM CVs with ones from AA that appeared to be much beefier. Time will tell though.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sschaefer3

Also we tested our kits in Pritchett Canyon in Moab. They survived, that is the ultimate in testing for these 3rd gens. Also we ran an FJC through there with the lower links, only 2 FJ have run that trail as of that date in 2007.
and i ran this same setup at Katemcy--Lots of rock and off kilter sections--running 35's.

Schaefer--i always tell people that ask about my truck what setup I have and give them your info--but alas they cheap out and get what they pay for
Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the response Albuquerque Jim, very good info.

Originally Posted by JHRRLD
I sure hope you all are wrong. I just swapped out my OEM CVs with ones from AA that appeared to be much beefier. Time will tell though.
(AA) Advance Autoparts?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 PM

The first broke CV

This break was on the joint closer to the diff.

I was able to drive the truck back both times. The first time I was in a tough spot managed to cause this damage as well.

My Advanced Auto CV's looked Identical to the OEM CVs, but the parts that are breaking are covered entirely by the rubber boot.

Earlier in the day.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Broken cage from binding. You did not break the alxe, you popped the cage out and it cracked in half. The shell and the star are in perfect condition.

Yes it is broken, but technically you did not break the axle, you ripped the cage out.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:28 PM

Is this one damaged/broken?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Is this one damaged/broken?
That looks like the classic "grease leaking out of the cv boot after a lift" problem that many, many people have experienced and easily fixed...

one of many threads on the subject

John

Quick Reply: Anyone else breaking CVs with Toytech OME 3" Lift