Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Suspension Thread...sorry

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Suspension Thread...sorry

Just pulled the trigger on 2 Rancho Quick Lift assemblies for my 02 4runner.

The suspension all around is shot, both front struts are leaking and one rear shock is as well. The front looks pretty low, probably 1 1/2" lower than the rear. I didn't really want to lift it and definately didn't want to get into the diff drop scenario, at least not yet. (I have other issues to deal with first). It nose dives like mad when I brake, and my rotors are starting to chatter, I believe from the added stress of braking with no dampening left in the struts (that's what I'm telling my wife anyways). There are a slew of other problems I need to work out, but I wanted to tackle suspension first, as I can't afford to ruin any more on this truck.

I went with the QLs because for the money I get struts, coils bearing plates, etc. I really need the drop in system so that I don't have to pay anyone else to assemble them and don't want to deal with having to buy all the right parts. I also didn't want the monroe assemblies, they are a great price, but I think the truck deserves more. The Rancho QLs were only $70 more (each) than the monroes.

That leaves me with my question:

What do I do with the rear?
I can get the 9000's for the rear and get a $100 rebate and not upgrade the rear coils, or I can get some 5000's or KYBs or ??? and new rear stock coils to help level her out. I do not want to increase the level of the rear higher than the front, so OME's are out for now. I don't know of any 1-1/2" rear coils out there.

I know I am going to have a higher setup in the front, and dont mind it, but don't know if I should go with the rear spacers. I may wait till the front is installed and see how bad it looks.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Numerous threads on lifting 3rd gen 4Runners. Have you looked at any of them for suggestions and what others have done?

:wabbit2:
Old 06-10-2012, 05:41 AM

Yes, quite a few of them actually. I've been lurking here for a very long time.
I have not found hardly any that have dealt with the quicklift front and was just looking for a recommendation for the rear. i.e. what works best with the rancho front.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
So how much does this Rancho front lift actually give you?

You want a rake towards the front so if the front is 1.5" then the rear at 2" would be perfect.

There are OME coils for 2" of lift which might not be too far off (906).

http://www.wabfab.org/Suspension-Lif...ypage.tpl.html

:wabbit2:
Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 AM

The Rancho Quick Life Coils give 1.75" of lift in the front.
I don't want the back higher than the front or I would go with the 2" rear coils.
I was hoping to find a 1" coil, but they just don't exist.
I may contact Sonoran Steel and get the "best of 99" coil which may level it out enough for me.
Still don't know about the rear shock and that is my main concern. I may just go with the RS9000 to match the front, they are just pricey and I haven't seen too much about them. Are they worth the $100 each? Are the Bilstein better? (probably) but will the bilstein work OK with the 9000s in the front... This is what my OP was about...
Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 AM

I originally put the 99 coil suspension on my 01 SR5 and the rear sat just about even with the front. Under acceleration it was lower and putting so much as a notebook in the cargo area would make it an inch lower than the front...

I pulled out the rears and put in a set of OME 906s and now the rear sits 3/4 higher than the front. It looks perfect in my opnion. Additionally I loaded an 800 pound gun safe in the cargo area with the seats down and the rear was level with the front. I have a feeling with the 99's the bumper would have been dragging.

The 906s are a nice spring, provide the right amount of lift and give you the ability to effectively use the cargo area or towing capabilities of the truck.

- Mike
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any updates on the QL's?