Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AndyMod VSC Trac Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AndyMod VSC Trac Problem

About a year ago, I did the AndyMod on my 2002. It's essentially a switch that defeats the VSC system allowing you to spin the tires, and eliminate the hesitation that's common when it activates. It has worked normally up until the last few weeks.

A few weeks ago, even when the switch is off (VSC is on), the VSC and ABS lights started staying on at times. It has progressed to the point where I cannot turn the mod off. I've rewired the switch and the wires in the engine compartment to no avail. I thought it might be a switch problem, so I tested that and it's fine. Last night, I hard wired the mod back to stock and the lights still stayed on! Have I fried my VSC/ABS systems? Any thoughts???
Old 08-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Slow down empty... it may have nothing to do with the AndyMod. If I recall correctly while troubleshooting the VSC/A-Trac/ABS to find solution to disable A-Trac, I believe the VSC/ABS lights will come on and stay on if:

1. the ECU detects ANY malfunction with ABS actuator or Master Cylinder.

2. the ABS actuator overheats it will shutdown temporarily (until the actuator reaches a safe temperature, then automatically restart [lights go off]).

Just out of curiousity, have you check the brake fluid level??

Last edited by hillbilly; 08-08-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Hillbilly when he says don't jump to conclusions. Get the code read and post up the number so that we can give you more help.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:18 PM

Calm down...calm down...take a breath! Alright, I'll go have the code read in the next few days. I have checked the brake fluid and it's full. I also drove it about 2.5 hours earlier today and everything seems to work fine. So, hopefully it's nothing serious!

FWIW: the lights came on for good after I hit a large pot hole in the street. Possible loose wire?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
By nailing a pothole hard enough, you may have jarred or knocked loose an ABS connection. Make sure that the connections you created at the master cylinder are good. I think any looseness there can contribute to the mod not functioning as designed. I re-did the connections a week after the first install and noticed that my crimps were weak. Proper soldering did the trick.

Please update the thread with what you find.

Andreas
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
About a year ago, I did the AndyMod on my 2002. It's essentially a switch that defeats the VSC system allowing you to spin the tires, and eliminate the hesitation that's common when it activates. It has worked normally up until the last few weeks.

A few weeks ago, even when the switch is off (VSC is on), the VSC and ABS lights started staying on at times. It has progressed to the point where I cannot turn the mod off. I've rewired the switch and the wires in the engine compartment to no avail. I thought it might be a switch problem, so I tested that and it's fine. Last night, I hard wired the mod back to stock and the lights still stayed on! Have I fried my VSC/ABS systems? Any thoughts???
Mine's beent that way for about 1 year now. Ive re-wired it a couple times. It started working once and once the light came on and went off while I was driving without me touching the switch. Now they are on all the time and Im fine with it becuase I hated that system anyway.

-Simon
Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'll solder the connections and heat shrink them tonight if I get some time. If the lights stay on, I'll take it to the stealer and have them run a code to see what's up. Good to know that it's probably nothing too serious...I hope!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:33 PM

we triped the check engine light with a bad spark plug a while back. when we did the VCS and ABS light also came on. dealer said this was normal and usually the case. more than likely you have a code triped.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:34 PM

Autozone will usually pull the codes for free. The dealership will likely charge you $40-$60 if it's anything like where I live.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:10 AM

Update: Last night, I got the connections soldered and the lights are still on. So, it's gotta be another issue. Unfortunately, we don't have an Autozone around here so it's off to the stealer I go. Thanks for the input and I'll keep you updated!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM

Don't forget to update this thread with the code number when you get it. Good luck. Hope it's nothing too expensive for ya.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:58 PM

update

Originally Posted by Simon
Mine's beent that way for about 1 year now. Ive re-wired it a couple times. It started working once and once the light came on and went off while I was driving without me touching the switch. Now they are on all the time and Im fine with it becuase I hated that system anyway.

-Simon
Update. About a week ago I was driving down the highway and looked down and noticed that all my VSC and ATRAC and ABS lights were off, unlike they have been for the past 6 months no matter what the switch was set too. I looked down at the switch and it was set to the "disabled" VSC ATRC ABS mode, so I switched it to the "normal" mode and turned the 4Runner off. When I started the 4Runner in "normal" mode all the lights were off, hit the switch to "disable" and all the lights came back on. So everything is working like it should be now. Why? I have no idea. Just an update.

-Simon
Old 08-21-2006, 07:08 AM

Thanks Simon...glad to hear things are working properly. I stopped by the stealership this morning. They were too busy to pull a code for me, but they did say that they've seen the problem a lot when people install larger tires. Apparently, the bigger tires throw off the ABS sensor. They went on to say there's a possibility of recalibrating the sensor for the larger tires, but were unsure if it would work 100%. Is this BS? Any other thoughts?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 AM

Thanks Simon...glad to hear things are working properly. I stopped by the stealership this morning. They were too busy to pull a code for me, but they did say that they've seen the problem a lot when people install larger tires. Apparently, the bigger tires throw off the ABS sensor. They went on to say there's a possibility of recalibrating the sensor for the larger tires, but were unsure if it would work 100%. Is this BS? Any other thoughts?
I don't know anything about the larger tire issue, I just think its strange that the problem fixed itself. Did they give any info on how to re-calibrate the sensor?

-Simon
Old 08-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds rather BSish.
I'm running 35s with no VSC/TRAC/ABS problems.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 AM

I thought BS too. The only thing the stealer said was that they could possibly recalibrate a new sensor when they put it in. Of course they wouldn't just put my rig on the computer and run a test for nothing...said it would run about $50 and take about 30 minutes. I'm taking it out to South Dakota wheeling in two weeks, and will just drive it and see what happens.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:19 PM

For some reason, my rig decided to heal itself! No more lights unless I activate the switch!!! That means no trip to the stealership.