Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air Compressor Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Compressor Advice?

I'm going to ask for a compressor for my birthday.... and was thinking about this one:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916555000

It comes with a few tools to start off with.

Any thoughts? Anyone have a Craftsman compressor? Likes? Dislikes?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-22-2004, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oilless air compressors are LOUD! Something to think about. It isn't too bad for occasional home use, but if you use it a lot, I'd think about an oiled model. FWIW, my friend has nearly the same compressor. He is not allowed to run it during his kids naptime.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:06 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Craftsman compressors. They are built by quality manufacturers with the Craftsman name on them, so they should be fine.

The model you are looking at is an oilfree diaphragm pump design. These oilfree models are definitely louder than the traditional oiled piston pumps. Plus, the diaphragms wear out over time. I prefer the oiled piston pump compressors because they will last a lifetime, if not longer. My dad is still using one that my grandfather used at his automotive parts store back in the '50s. I would recommend this design, and I know that Sears sells them. I believe that Campbell Hausfeld still builds these models for Sears, and I haven't had any problems with mine. I would look for one with cast iron cylinders because they are the quietest and most durable of all. Trust me when I say there is a big difference in noise level.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:08 AM

For a portable unit it isn't bad. Is it something you want to be portable or do you want a peramant unit? If you spend about $150 more at Home Depot and get the big husky 60 gal fixed mounted one they put out way more CFM.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:16 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Air Compressor

I have that exact same "kit" and they are right, it is LOUD! But with the 30 gallon tank, the compressor does not run all the time and depending on your use, only sporadically.

The connectors that come with the accessory kit that fit the hose and the tools are CRAP (mine were)! Buy some better ones as the ones I got wouldn't stay connected. You'll also need some more hose as that included hose is just an "end" piece and doesn't stretch more than about 3 feet as it is coiled up. For the money and the occassional user like me, it is a great buy and I love it!

Old 01-22-2004, 05:18 AM

If you plan to run big air hog tools off of it (die grinders, sand blast cabinets, etc) go straight to a two stage. I had a big Craftsman oiless that could not keep up on my blast cabinet. It would run constantly - then the regulator went (guessing from the heat).
Old 01-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

I'm looking for something portable to throw in the back of the truck to take to friends houses that need work done, etc. I won't be using it all the time and all I really want it to run is an impact wrench, ratchet, and possibly some painting stuff someday. Is there a better compressor out there to suit those needs?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Banned

I don't think so

Originally posted by JoKEpLaYeR
I'm looking for something portable to throw in the back of the truck to take to friends houses that need work done, etc. I won't be using it all the time and all I really want it to run is an impact wrench, ratchet, and possibly some painting stuff someday. Is there a better compressor out there to suit those needs?

Thanks,
Steve
I checked around and I didn't find anything better for buck spent. Mine runs an impact and ratchet just fine.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:35 AM

Re: I don't think so

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Mine runs an impact and ratchet just fine.

I just got one for xmas and it can't seem to break anything that is really torqued down. What psi (max recommended)do your tools run at? I think mine are too low. When I try to use them on a stuck bolt, they just turn for a second and then hiss, like there is a blowoff valve or something in the tool that keeps them from working on hard stuff.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned

Re: Re: I don't think so

Originally posted by RobT2k
I just got one for xmas and it can't seem to break anything that is really torqued down. What psi (max recommended)do your tools run at? I think mine are too low. When I try to use them on a stuck bolt, they just turn for a second and then hiss, like there is a blowoff valve or something in the tool that keeps them from working on hard stuff.
Not to be a SA, but read your operating instructions first. My tools have an adjustment on them near the connection that in essence turns to (4) different settings that torque up or down. Also check the recommended psi. Mine are set about 90 psi if I remember correctly and work just fine.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 PM

Yeah, my impact wrench has the adjustment knob. But it's already at 4(the highest) and still won't even take off lugnuts.
The max torque it says it has is 280 ft/lbs. That should be enough right? The ratchet doesn't have any adjustment knobs. The set is called "powermate" by coleman, I think it sucks.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

How loud are these compressors? Like.... can I run it at night in my garage? I hope the basic tools it comes with will work for now.......
Old 01-22-2004, 05:52 PM

they are loud. You have to talk pretty loud to have a conversation with your buddy it gets old fast. if your only using it for tires and light duty it is fine. My buddy has a old old old compresser and it is so loud but he built a little room out side his shop and put it in there with a line into the shop and now you barely hear it.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:59 AM

For a light duty compressor, Harbor Freight has a good deal. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47065
It is big enough to run impact and ratchets, I probably would not use it for heavy grinding or sanding. I would like a larger tank, but as infrequently as I use it, I don't need to waste electricity to pump up a 30+ gallon tank. The other nice thing is it is relatively portable.

I also ran across a steal of a deal at lowes. It was 75pc air tool set that had 1/2 impact, 3/8 ratchet, die grinder, sander, and a bunch of accessories. The regular price was $90 and they had them clearanced at $45. It may not be the highest quality, but for $45 I am sure I got my monies worth.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

How loud are the Harbor Freight Compressors? Maybe that 21 gallon or this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90385

I don't know how to rate these things..... Can either of these run a decent air ratchet and impact gun?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

This is the one I have: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916724000

It's always done everything I've asked it to. Just couldn't justify a bigger one since I use it for tools about 20% of the time and the other 80% is just for compressed air blowing and filling tires. Sure it would be nice to have one that has the capacity and flowrate to run any tool out there but I use electrics for alot of my grinding and other work so it was worthless for me to spend a little more.

Sure it's loud, but every shop I've been in is loud so it was no big deal for me.

I'm happy with mine, but the one you are looking at does come with starter tools, that's good. Just don't be surprised if later you need to buy better ones because the kit ones usually aren't as good, but my harbor freight combo impact and ratchet set puts up with quite a bit of abuse.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by RobT2k
Yeah, my impact wrench has the adjustment knob. But it's already at 4(the highest) and still won't even take off lugnuts.
The max torque it says it has is 280 ft/lbs. That should be enough right? The ratchet doesn't have any adjustment knobs. The set is called "powermate" by coleman, I think it sucks.

I don't remember off the top of my head which direction, I think it's counter intuitive, anyway, continue to turn the knob a couple rotations. Turn it back to 3, 2, 1, 4, 3, 2, 1, then 4 and try again. I bought my tools at a pawn shop and that's what I had to do to get it to pull my lug nuts off. Jus remember to back it down a bit after you pull them off. I accidentall used too high of a torque on my 3rd member and ended up replacing all the studs(needed to be done anyway).