Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

4Runner Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't wish to beat a dead horse but there are lots of possible problems, issues and options to resolving your brake issue but BigBalls has a point that you should listen to.

If you are confident enough to work on your own brakes, I would recommend you consider the Tundra upgrade. Replacing the rotors, calipers and pads eliminate alot of potential issues you maybe facing now or in the future. Other options to consider, yes Midas will do a brake inspection for free, recommend the series of corrective actions but then leave it to you to decide if you want them to do the work (it is expensive but you do get some peace of mind) or now armed with that information, you can decide to do it yourself. If you don't feel confident on what your local Midas shop recommends take their recommendations and your truck to your local Toyota dealer. I know some here cringe when it is recommended to take your Runner to the "Stealership" but I have had to do it on a few occassions and some things I will let them do as long as I still have my extended warranty in force. Remember though, this can get expensive just for the diagnostics. Plus when you start talking about replacing things like calipers, ABS equipment, proportioning valves, well lets just say, bring a fat check book.

Depending on your dealer it can be around $100 or more just to determine the cause not to mention the cost of OEM parts, but if its a dealer you really trust to treat you right, it can be money well spent. You can't put a price on peace of mind.

I was having some minor brake issues but nothing major or puzzling. I do know that our 3rd gens do have some issues if you tow, trail ride or are an aggressive driver. The rotors can over heat and warp causing a variety of braking issues. I opted for the Tundra upgrade. Quite a few here have done the upgrade from complete new/remanufactured calipers, rotors and pads to wrecking yard set ups. (I fall into the later) I did the upgrade using the calipers, rotors and pads from a 2001 Tundra that very little wear on what appeared to be relatively 'new' front brakes. The calipers, rotors, pads, cost me $50, resurface rotors,$28. Bottle of brake fluid, $4. It took me about 2-3 hours to do the swap and pad prep. It was literally "plug and play. 12 lug bolts, 4 caliper bolts, 2 brake lines. Thats it! Check out my write up on my tundra brake install, it will walk you right through it. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/0...runner-146160/ As well as several other very well written Tundra Upgrade write ups.

Bottom line here is safety. If your brakes are not functioning properly, you are courting disaster. Better to spend a few hundred dollars now to find and fix the problem then to try to wing it and possibly destroy your $10,000 truck, or even worse. Keep checking, asking questions and update us here when you do finally resolve the issue. I hope this helps and Good luck!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 08-21-2008 at 05:58 PM.