Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

2002 4runner master cylinder problemhi everyone, i have an 02 4runner and need a new

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 4runner master cylinder problem

hi everyone,

i have an 02 4runner and need a new brake cylinder...i have searched everywhere and all I can find is the one that cost well over $1000? http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/7923-01067173.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_ term=2000-2002+Toyota+4Runner+Brake+Master+Cylinder+OES+Genu ine+00-02+Toyota+Brake+Master+Cylinder&utm_content=YN&utm _campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base is this correct, why is it that every other MS goes for around 150? IS there something I am missing? I want to fix it myself, but cant afford to shell out that type of money.....any recommendations are much appreciated....

Last edited by yotarunner22; 05-14-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow--what happened in 2000? I looked for my truck ('99 4Runner 3.4L) and there are six choices from $83 to $138 on that same website (which I use frequently). Very strange...
Old 05-14-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...1&apwid25zjMZT

GOOGLE either way you can go here or there but always GOOGLE IT
top is 96-200 bottom is 01-

http://www.oehq.com/acdelco-parts_18...NER%203.4L.htm
Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

the late 2000-2002 models have a different master cylinder because it has VSC-Trac while the 1996-2000(early) models only have ABS. the MCs are not interchangeable

Last edited by KZN185W; 05-15-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 AM

In 2001 they installed the VSC/TRAC system and the majority of components are integrated into the master cylinder.

Why do you think your master cylinder is bad? What color is your brake fluid ?

You should flush you brake system once a year if you have a 01+ 4runner with the trac system. Brake fluid is very hygroscopic (absorbs water) and the water that it carries causes corrosion of the master cylinder and all of the brake components from the inside out.

The VSC/TRAC systems are much more susceptible to the corrosion.

Also Toyotspartsales.com in dallas has the same OEM master cylinder for $850 http://www.toyotapartsales.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Also they spec a "overhaul kit" http://www.toyotapartsales.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

You need to call them and ask them but I believe the overhaul kit allows you to rebuild your master cylinder if its a seal issue and not holding pressure.

FOG

Last edited by FogRunner; 05-15-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:32 PM

thanks for the help so far guys

yea im really pissed that they changed the mc for the 01-02 models

that really sucks.....im guessing it is the mc because after bleeding all wheels, in the right order, and with the rears on the"on" ignition, the brakes are still very spongy....it almost goes to the floor before the breaks engage, which they do.......if you pump the pedal while itthe car is on quickly, you can feel the pressure build up quick.......

every thing was perfect before i changed the pads, but had to replace an oil seal on the front caliper, this let air into the system which i later bled...is it possible the mc was damaged while performing the pedal brake bleed? im out of ideas....is the abs module removable? can i just purchase the cylinder only??
Old 05-15-2010, 02:09 PM

You didn't answer my question about the condition of your brake fluid but from what you said happened I'm guessing it was in really bad shape before you went to bleed your brakes.

It sounds like happened is that when you bleed the brakes you pushed the pedal down farther than it normally goes and that tore up the seals.

The reason for this is because the area of the normal stroke stays clean but the area past that is undisturbed by the piston of the cylinder. When you bled the you pushed the piston past the normal part of the cylinder and into the part with the corrosion which tore up the seals on the piston.

The way to prevent this is put a block of wood behind the brake pedal when bleeding so you can only push it halfway down.

As I said about Toyota specs a "overhaul" kit for that master cylinder so if you have the skills to rebuild a master cylinder that would be your cheapest bet. But if you don't properly clean and prep the cylinder then your going to shred the new seals just like you did the old ones.

FOG
Old 05-15-2010, 03:46 PM

thanks fog runner,

its my fathers truck and he said it has been 2 years since he flushed the fluid. the fluid coming out was visibly darker as well with minor debris floatin around...

as far as the the seals breaking in the cylinder, thats what I was afraid of.....a new ms for these cars cost over 900 because of the added features compared with the younger models, unless i am missing something.....

the overhaul kit should be my best option right? as long as the problem was with a torn seal? thanks for your expertise...
Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Dark fluid with debris and the problems you described earlier point the piston seals in the master cylinder. Toyotapartsales.com has a overhaul kit that that will allow your to replace just the seals and gaskets.

However rebuilding a TRAC/VSC master cylinder isn't someone for the faint of heart. The master cylinder has allot components on it not seen with a normal vacuum assisted master cylinder.

The master cylinder in a TRAC/VSC system uses a pressure tank seen on the back left hand side. This tank is pressured by electric motor built into the master cylinder assembly.

When you turn the key on you can hear the pump run pressurizing the tank. If you step on the brake pedal several times you will deplete the pressure in the tank and the pump will run to re-pressurize the tank.

If you don't properly de-pressurize this tank when you remove it from the master cylinder you will have brake fluid under several hundred pound of pressure spraying all over the car (remember brake fluid strips paint off QUICK).

Don't take this the wrong way, but from reading your posts it seems you don't have the expertise to overhaul a TRAC/VSC master cylinder. Remember we are talking about something that if not done properly can result in a severe accident.

If you cannot find someone to pay to rebuild the master cylinder then I would recommend replacing it. Even at that your going to have to swap the older pressure tank to the new master cylinder.

If you do decide to undertake this, please read the Toyota FSM that can be downloaded from NCTORRA.

FOG
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

I think your best choice would be to have the 4Runner towed to a dealer and let the dealer do the repairs
Old 05-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Is there any chance the reservoir went dry while your were bleeding the system? If it did, then the master cylinder needs to be bled and then the whole bleed process repeated. Go read the on-line FSM to see how to do that. It would be a shame to trash a good MC if it just needs to be bled.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 PM

thanks again fogrunner, as you explained it, it does seem like a pretty technical repair, especially considering that brakes are involved, not
something I would want done half-fast or done with out the proper experience...i consider myself decently mechanically inclined, but
this is a different beast for sure...ill def check out the Toyota FSM and study it closely to get a better idea......

i really hope it still air in the system but that hope is running dry,,,I had my neighbor stepping on the pedal while i cracked the
'bleeder...he is also familiar with cars and assured me he only went halfway down, and not to the floor(im hoping) i should have placed
something under the pedal....

thedurk, i made sure the level stayed at a safe level, so i know air was not sucked in thru the resevoir...but maybe ill bench bleed anyway

and try again....

thanks fellas

Last edited by yotarunner22; 05-15-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:07 PM

i found this, supposedly its in fair condition, do you guys think this would be a safe bet?

http://www.lowmileageparts.com/2002-...der-12235.aspx
Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

The part number stated in the link isn't the Toyota part number which is 47050-35010 so you might like to with them first.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM

very true, i will def call for exact info, although i think that is their own assigned part number....i went to a few other sites selling the ms new, and they as well listed diff part numbers....but ill def call for sure....thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM

You could get a used one from a wrecked runner IF you knew the part # & made sure you were getting the correct one.

I replaced the MC on my 96, and the rebuilt one I bought lasted about 6 weeks and went bad, I replaced it with one from a junkyard and its been good every since.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread... I need to replace the master cylinder assembly on my '01. A few days ago I noticed a stain on our driveway. My master cylinder has started leaking around the 3/4" diameter plug that threads in to the forward part of the cylinder. You can tell that it's permanently installed at the factory.

Unfortunately, the leaking fluid has already done a number on the paint just below it, as well as the whisper-thin paint on the frame.

I do all of my own maintenance, and have enjoyed 12 years and 287,000 miles with the truck. Time to find a new master cylinder.

Andreas
Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 AM

Need input Please!!!!!!

I have a 2002 toyota 4runner, was driving to work and all the sudden this loud high pitch noise started, after work started truck and it was still there. Went to back out of parking spot and i couldn't stop the truck felt like i didnt have any brakes really had to push on them to get it to stop!!!!! Half way home the high pitch noise stopped and my brakes came back! This keeps happening, took it to Napa they put it on computer and it read abs master cylinder failure and booster brake module. Is there anything i can do to save this or do i need to buy a new abs master cylinder?