Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2.7 3RZ-FE misfires, stumbles when warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.7 3RZ-FE misfires, stumbles when warm

Hey all,

Seems like so many posts start with the disclaimer I am about to give, but here goes: I am sure someone has posted with my problem before, but I have searched and searched and have not found anyone with this exact problem.

I picked up a 95 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 3RZ-FE beater a few months ago. It has been a great runner, and I've been loving the extra power... I have only had 22r and re trucks in the past. Lately it has been stumbling and misfiring the more it warms up. It runs beautifully when the engine is cold. The warmer it gets, the worse it gets until it is undrivable. If I let it sit for a couple/few hours, it will run great again until it starts to warm up. It takes maybe 3 min for the problem to start and 10 or 15 min later we are dead in the water, won't even idle for long without coughing and sputtering and dieing. Sometimes the engine will turn backwards as/when it dies.

At first I thought my problem was fuel related, especially since I got the truck with a rusted out sending unit, and I had swapped a used unit in, complete with used unknown condition fuel pump. I swapped the old known good pump from my rotted out unit, and still no go. I also replaced the PITA to get at fuel filter for good measure. (WHY did Toyota put that damn thing there? Actually, it only took me like 15 min, but what an annoying 15 min!)

Figuring its electrical, I tried to read any codes that it may be throwing. Keep in mind this is a 1995 2.7 so it has a distributor and OBDI (how I wished this one had OBDII!) I jumpered TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic port, and the damn CEL doesn't flash any codes.. just stays on solid (which it has always done while running) WTF! This has always worked on my 22RE trucks with OBDI. I quickly checked the MAF to see if it was clean, as the truck came with a drop in K&N filter, so I figured maybe the MAF was covered in oil. No dice, clean as a whistle! Got some other ideas, but got tired with barking up the wrong tree, and figured I'd see what you guys had to think!

Wishing this truck were as simple as my 84 22r 4runner. I can have any fuel or electrical problems diagnosed on that in like 15 min! Guess I'm old school though and always have been a carb guy.

Anyway, hoping someone might have an idea to lead me down the right path, or even a reason I can't get this thing to flash codes! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by junkpile; 09-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 PM

bumpity... for the evening crew
Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like an overheating fuel pump.

Possible dirty throttle body passages...?

Oxygen Sensor Malfunction..?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 AM

Thanks for the input!
I'll try and clean the throttle body, although it looks good at a quick glance, and I can't see why this would cause a problem that got worse the longer the truck was running. I suppose that I could have swapped a bad used fuel pump for another, but the one I put back in was functioning fine when I got the truck... I suppose you just never know. A friend of mine has a new one sitting in his garage, maybe I'll try that, but I hate to drop that tank for a third time in as many months! Oh well, still feel like I'm chasing my tail! Thanks for the input!
Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 PM

I know this is an ancient thread but my truck has the EXACT same symptoms. I am thinking it is the engine temp sensor on the back of the block, and I have it at my local shop to get that replaced.

What did you do to solve it?