Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 4Runer v.s. Murano? Anyone drive both?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so everyone is clear the only thing the Murano shares with the Altima is the frame, and that's it. The motor is the same 3.5 liter VQ series engine, but it's configured differently because of the different drivetrain AWD offered. As far as all the interior and everything else, it's a totally different league than the Altima. By the way, the Altima wasn't labeled as the North American Car of the Year for nothing!!

Chris
Old 04-15-2003, 04:40 PM

i you want a truck get the 4runner if your looking for a car with storage get an a4 wagon. the murano is a jacked up wagon
Old 04-16-2003, 09:47 AM

Who named it North American Car of the year? I know it was listed as one of the 10best in C&D. However, if you read their review it's only because of it's powertrain and cheap price. The Quality of that car SUCKS!
Old 04-16-2003, 09:51 AM

One of the magazines did, but I can't remember which. It's also on every sticker on the new cars. But, how can you say the quality of the car sucks? What are you basing your decision on?

Chris
Old 04-16-2003, 10:32 AM

Personal experience is what I'm basing the car on... Did you read my 2 posts? My coworker has had an 02 Altima V6 for over a year now. He has put over 50K miles on this car in that short amount of time driving to Jersey and New York on weekends. He hasn't had any mechanical failures that I'm aware of. However, the car rides harsh, rattles badly, and wears out tires fast(he has gone through 2 sets). Not to mention the seats are very uncomfortable and the fake me out leather is very low quality. It has a very hard(crispy) texture feel. Also, the molding and weather stripping around the door has collapsed. It's just a bunch of crap that Nissan put into this car. The car would be 10 times better if they would've used better materials and a more appealing interior layout. I like the last gen of Maxima's and the current Pathfinder(a little). Other then that I don't like where Nissan is going. Sure they are building more powerful cars then Yota but the quality just isn't there. BTW, I'm not claiming that Toyota is a benchmark of quality or anything. They have there problems just like any other manufacturer out there. It all boils down to a personal preference and what you want to spend your hard earned cash on... I prefer Quality.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 PM

I thought I would revive this old thread because my good friend got a Murano about the same time I got my 4Runner.
We park them side by side all the time (I'll post a pic soon). First off, the 4Runner looks huge compared to the Murano. The Murano looks like a little car next to the 4R. You can't really compare the two-they are completely different.

Also, and this really confuses me, the Murano interior is much smaller even though the published data says other wise (4R=76cu in, Murano=85cu in).

My friend looked in the back of the 4R and said, "Damn, that's big enough to be a bum's home back there"

Price- my 4x4 SE was about $29K, the fwd Murano was about $32K.

The Murano is really nice but, imo, is no 4R. Put them next to each other and Toyota's quality and toughness are really apparent. Toyota quality is definitely better than Nissan's (but Nissan is very good). Materials, build tolerances...Toyota has it all over most manufacturers.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

I'd have to agree: they are not in the same class.

I haven't driving the 03 4runner but i have driven my friend's Murano. Personally I like the styling, esp the rear end---well compared to all the other Nissan rear ends, the Murano is the only one they got right. The acceleration is good, the handling is good, the interior is well-laid out, however...

The rear cargo area, however, is a friggin joke. You can fit a few bags of groceries...which leads to my next point: thats all you'll be doing in it. If that's going to be your 100% use for this vehicle, then the Murano is your car. Don't even think you can take this where you might've taken a 2wd 4runner. No ground clearance whatsoever.

Personally, I'd get the 03 4runner for several reason:

Toyota quality
More room in every dimension
Good balance between road/off-road
Better styling (but not as good as 3rd gens)

Bob
Old 09-10-2003, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

In the Pilot you have to change the diff oil every 7500 miles, more frequent if you tow or off-road. Honda uses a clutch pack diff, as opposed to Toy's gear driven diff. You would spend all your time at the dealer getting the oil changed if you bought a Pilot or MDX.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:32 AM

no doubt get the runner!
Old 09-10-2003, 05:40 AM

I love 4runners, and that's why I drive one. For what I like to do (ie. off-roading), the 4runner is the only way to go. But, for most people that never touch a gravel road, the Murano is the clear better choice. It has a lower step in height, it's great for folks with arthritus, because they don't really have to bend down or stretch upwards to get in and out of the vehicle if their average height. It's a very solid vehicle, and I'm sorry guys, but there is now question about the 3.5 liter V6 from Nissan being a better engine than the 3.4L any day of the week. It's got more power, better gas mileage, and will probably last as long or longer than the 3.4L Nissan is known for their engines and drivetrains being rock solid and lasting forever.

As far as the interior of the Altima, I have to agree with whoever sai that it's cheap. They used a lot of plastic, and leather is a lower grade leather than the Maxima or Pathfinder, and it doesn' becoma apparant after a while. Especially if you're hard on a car.

But, you'll be hard pressed to find a better car than the Maxima in that price range, even going upwards from there another $5-10K in sticker price. That is a top quality sports sedan, leaning a tad more on the sedan side of things. It's much higher quality than the Altima, and always has been. They had to cut cost somewhere on the Altima. You're getting the largest car in it's class, and a lot of nice amenities to boot.

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 06:20 AM
TOR

Morano!

Here it is.

Nissan=BAD

Toyota=GOOOOOD

Oh yes Mr., very very good!

Todd
Old 09-10-2003, 07:40 AM

It looks like a women type of SUV in my eyes. The name says it all murano, sounds like a pigs name in spanish.

Last edited by romus; 09-10-2003 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

I've driven the Murano a good deal and it rides niiiiice. I'm not wild about the trendy stylin, but you won't be disappointed in the vehicle. The CVT is so smooth, you can't even feel it shift. When you go to pass all 245hp just go like a turbine.

I'd but the 4Runner, but the Murano is good.

Hope this helps,