Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01 tacoma tranny problem (5spd)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like they don't want to fix the problem under warranty. You have a couple of options:

1. Try a different dealer. Not sure if this is viable due to your location/number of dealers in your area.

2. Find out who the zone manager is for the Toyota region that covers your area and get in contact with him/her about your problem. Ask them to meet you at the dealership and discuss the problem and service issue at that time. Bring your paperwork so they can review it with the service manager.

Dealers don't like it when the zone people get involved because then they have to deal with both you AND the zone management, which means they have to do what Toyota tells them to do to keep their standing for vehicle alotments, service issues, etc. It also means that the dealership management comes under the microscope, which means that heads can roll and people can get fired. To me, that means nothing b/c I have no sympathy for dealers which don't want to help you with your service issues. I'm more interested in getting my vehicle working correctly then whether some service joker or manager keeps his butt clean or his job. They also don't want to do it b/c warranty work bills out for less and they can't make any commission on the job. Another reason for me not to care as they take plenty of others over the coals and can afford to do the warranty work and possibly retain customer loyalty to the dealership. Unfortunately, they don't think that way. My dealership here does, and that's why they get my business and I willingly pay a little more for it.

Sorry for the rant, just my two cents. Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:18 PM

ya, i dont think they want to do it. thanks for the advice... that is some good info.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:50 PM

I just turned my truck in the other day for a tranny overhaul,... I was grinding first gear. The only problem I had with the tranny is that I could not get it into first while rolling,... even if I was only doing 5mph,... I couln't get it in,... and if it should let me,... I would get this slow rough grind. They said my synchro for first was shot. My truck only has 50,000 something miles on her,... I got the truck at 30 something.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:25 PM

yup, same deal i have here, only its 1st and 2nd. reverse is getting worse to... if the dealer here doesnt' do it, i am headed home for Christmas and they will do it down south for me.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:38 PM

so, they called me 3 days later and said they did not find anything... dont ask me what they did for 3 days?? so does anybody know who i can call in the northwest region to make my complaint clear?? i want to make sure they get the point. my truck will not go into second gear, grinds giong into 1st and sometimes get a little stuck in 1st and they claim they cant find anything wrong with my truck... also they said a squeeky peddle is normal wear?? isn't it covered by the bumper to bumper warranty?? i know they tightened some bolts on a loose window and tightened some bolts on a squeeky door of a previous toyota i owned... anyways, who can i call to make my complaint clear?? there is an obvious problem and they dont want to deal with it. on top of that it took them 3 days to "take it for antoehr drive" and find nothing.. grrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 12-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Will you have time to work on this when you're at home for Christmas? I hope you have a more reputable dealer down there. AS for a contact, get in touch with Toyota North America and start asking for the zone/regional manager, screaming if you have to, even threatening to get Ralph Nader, Consumers Union and the BBB involved. You'll get someone on the line pretty quickly that will be willing to help you, especially if your dealer at home was able to fix the problem.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:30 PM

that is what i am hoping... they take care of it real quick at home... and then i can write their regional manager or whoever a very friendly letter about how they could not find the problem the other dealer had no issue with.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM

Squeeky clutch...I think they have a TSB and a replacement bushing kit ready to go. I think mine was 3 plastic bushings. 2nd time around I modified the linkage to accept a bronze bushing Silky smooth and dead silent. My 5 speed is not silky smooth but it also doesn't grind at all. I have 71k on my 98 tacoma 4x4. Getting ready to change the clutch in the next few weeks, bought 5 qts of Redline MT-90, maybe it will smooth things out. 1st time for a taco clutch, anything I should know? Truck is in GREAT condition!