Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'01 Prerunner Off-Road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 Prerunner Off-Road?

Ladies and Gents,
Just recently purchased my first vehicle (just turned 18 last month, legal...finally), an '01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 4Cyl 2.7L w/Bedliner & 38000 mi, a serious upgrade from the hand-me-down mitsu minivan that I was driving, and I must say that comparitively and generally I am very impressed and pleased.

My question though is, just how much "off-roading" can my truck handle? Most importantly, should I be able to take her on the beach, being that I live in Va beach? I was told that if I bled some air out of the tires I should be fine on the sand. Is this true? Are there any mods that I can put on her to make her more suitable for off-road?

Being that I'm 18 and she's my first truck I have limited off-roading tech knowledge, so some tips would be much appreciated as well. Although I'm fairly proficient as a mechanic, not an expert by any means but definitely have a decent mechanical ability.

Thanks in advanced for the help, and I must say I'm proud to be a Tacoma owner. I can think of anything better in an 18y/o's mind though than him, a girl, and his truck taking a romp on the beach except maybe; him, two girls, and his truck taking a romp on the beach.

Last edited by RedPrerunnerSR5; 09-29-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

is there anything you could add to make your truck handle better off-road?
Are you serious?

I'll be the first to say it, SEARCH

First thing you need is some good tires. Then if you don't have one i'd get a locker. After that, i'd lift it for a-looks b-aftermarket shocks/springs are going to proform much better than stock units. Then i'd somehow add 4x4. Either by a solid axle swap, or just adding in the ADD IFS system thats in all 4Runners/Tacos.

But the most important thing about driving on sand is to not get stuck! A lot of it has to do with driver skill. Which is something you will learn over time, and stay towards the more hard sand than the soft stuff b/c you will plow faster than you can say Gumby. I once spent 5hrs digging a 4x2 Xterra out of a sand pit, which actually ended up being a huge ant farm because she stopped in some super soft sand. Inertia is your friend!

Good luck,
Old 09-30-2004, 08:12 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I spend nearly all my time on the dunes in 2wd - sure you can drive on the sand with your pre-runner. Bigger tires and aired down is the key. Not getting stuck (doh!) really IS the other key - move smoothly, keep moving, don't stomp the gas and dig holes, always stop on downslopes or hard sand, etc. If you get stuck, stop! and dig out right away - don't keep at it until your truck falls out into Australia (not that that's a bad thing, but the immigration laws there are pretty tough...)

I wouldn't try to convert it to 4wd though, if you decide that you want to get into offroading - buy a 4x4.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 09-30-2004 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Add a locker. I did to my Prerunner and the difference off-road is night and day.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:25 AM

Thanks Flamedx4, thats the confidence I needed, and thanks for the tips. 31" tires on it now, should that be big enough for what I want to do? I'm going to op for slightly larger once I wear these down, its just the dealership put brand new 31" on it before I bought it. I did search around a bit, here and on TTORA and customtaco.com but couldnt really find anything about prerunner and ocean sand that much. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Also, make sure you keep alot of weight in the back end. I got stuck in some deep sand one night and we spent a good 3 hours trying to dig me out. Finally got some friends to come over and help, once they sat in the back end my truck drove right out.
I keep at least 200 lbs. worth of sandbags in the back when I go on any trips.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:45 AM

dude, on the ocean beaches i wouldnt sweat it. when i was in florida i saw 2wd ricers driven on the beach. Just stay in the harder stuff and you'll be fine, And if you're tryin to go up a sand hill and feel the tires start to spin and you are losing momentum fast. stop and back down before you have to dig.

Good luck
Old 09-30-2004, 06:21 PM

"Pretacopower - Add a locker. I did to my Prerunner and the difference off-road is night and day."

What locker did you use? And what was the difficulty of installing it? I've looked around but cant find any definite information.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:27 PM

lift it, lock it, snag some wider tires for the sand, air down, and don't drive like an idiot...you should be fine if you do that....
Old 10-01-2004, 10:07 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Ditto on a rear traction aid. If an occasional romp on the sand is your only offroading - then you sure don't want a locker. You will hate it every day on the pavement. Look at a limited slip or a true trac. I recommend the true trac - it works well, it's smooth and quiet, and durable,a nd reasonably priced. (No, I am not affiliated with truetrac in any way. I've had many rear diffs and I like the true trac best for a street/play compromise.)
Old 10-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RedPrerunnerSR5
"Pretacopower - Add a locker. I did to my Prerunner and the difference off-road is night and day."

What locker did you use? And what was the difficulty of installing it? I've looked around but cant find any definite information.
I added a Lockrite locker myself. Installed it with a buddy in just 4 hours. It's an auto locker though, meaning you can't turn it on or off....like an ARB or toyota e-locker.
Basically it clicks whenever you turn and will lock up on you if you give it too much gas through turns....not a problem though once you get used to driving with it. I love mine personally, definatley worth the money. Check out Jawsgear.com