86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Zelephant's '89 4Runner slow-no-dough build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wishing you the best of luck. Spring will be here befoe you know it, you will get there. Looking good.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelephant
Thanks for the comments, guys!

I planned to have the sliders and 1" BL on by the end of this week, but the weather hasn't been cooperating, so I think the sliders will have to wait.

In the meantime, I found I picture I took when I had the tailgate panel off. Anybody read Japanese?

A friend suggested it's an ancient Japanese good luck charm, and that's why the truck's still running after 22 years!

I've had a spare recovery hook laying around for a while. I finally bought a breaker bar, so I was finally able to install it. And both hooks MUST be painted, of course!

I also cleaned and started painting the sliders to prepare them for the install. I used a wire brush on the surface rust, and then wiped it down with PB Blaster. Then I hit it with degreaser, and finally, water.
The slider on the right is ready for paint. Don't ask me what the PO did with the bottom leg on the left one.

I finished by painting one side. Tomorrow, I'll flip them and paint the other side.

I started spraying the body mounting bolts with Blaster. Hopefully, the BL will go on on Thursday. My exhaust parts are supposed to show up Friday, so the exhaust will probably get moved back on Saturday. Was hoping to have the Sliders on before classes start again, but it doesn't look likely.

Thanks for reading!

The leg was done like that to clear the tranny x member and to follow the curve of the frame lol!!

How you been? Your runner has come along way since the last time i saw it.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, blast from the past; good to hear from you! Your rig's changed a lot; last time I actually saw your truck, you were still on IFS. The SAS must look great on 33s. I didn't see a build thread, you should post up any old pics you have!

Life's been pretty good. Engineering school is a bear and keeps me away from my projects lol. Every time I go browsing in the Marlin swap section I just wanna start tearing into swap immediately!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM

I have alot of old pics that i need to scan lol! Shes still a little rough but i drive it every day. When your ready to sas contact me and help you out. I'm still knee deep in 1st gen runner parts if you need anything. Build thread will come when the body and paint work are done. Who knows i may roll the paint on lol!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't plan to SAS; the IFS does what I need it to do. I'm building this more as a camping/overland rig. If I ever do anything with the front suspension, it will be Total Chaos long travel with coil-overs. But I doubt I'll ever go that far.
I am actually looking for a pair of gear-drive t-cases and a tail housing. You have any of those laying around?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just checking in. You are still moving along, sliders are looking great.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 AM

I agree I liked my ifs but was to far gone to fix correctly. I only have one spare case right now and i kinda need it. I know some one that may have one i will pm you his #.