86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

willmasterflex 93 pickup build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
willmasterflex 93 pickup build

welp, finally decided to join yt and have decided to start a build thread if for nothing more than my own benefit.

just a forewarning... this might be a super slow build since funds are a little tight, but she'll get there. anyway, onto the good stuff:

here's when i first got it about a year and a half ago.

'93 DLX extra-cab, 4.56's, 31's, slightly bent bumper, 160 some-odd miles, and an awkward photo of me at garden of the gods in colo. springs:

and in it's most current state (as of last weekend):
no more slightly bent bumper, some cheapo lights, a little face lift, no more crappy looking decals, quick release doors, some new paint, and 187xxx miles

She's a DD and a work truck, so as of now im not looking into doing anything too crazy, but here's the rundown of what im planning on doing:

Engine and Such:
-New cat, muffler, exhaust (maybe headers?)
-Drive it till the 3.0 needs to be rebuilt...

Suspension and Drivetrain:
-Redo the front end (since it's almost 20 years old)
-Shocks
-Replace, what i'm guessing to be, a squeaking wheel bearing? Soon. Really annoying.
-Diff breathers
-Maybe a 2 in lift? (we'll see about that one, not needed for what i'm trying to accomplish out of this build)
-Lockers f/r

Tires:
-Swap up to 33x10.5x15's (thinking KM2's, but still wondering how they handle in the snow? siped?)

Other:
-Finish my rattle can job
-Fab up a new rear bumper
-Frame Reinforcement/Winch
-New/more lights

I think that's all of what i've been planning.

First thing I'll probably end up doing is finishing the paint. Hopefully this weekend. It's just rattle can primer. So far I've done one rusting panel and the tailgate.

I like the idea of just using spray paint, because it's easy to touch up. because it's for sure going to get more scratches and dings.

I think that's all for now (im sure im forgetting something)

Any ideas, comments and criticisms are very welcomed... please
Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard, good sir!

It looks as if you are off to a great start! You also have a good set of plans.

In the first picture, it looks like you might have some kind of a body lift. I'm thinking that because your bumper isn't mounted as high as it would if it were stock, unless that's a different bumper. I don't know.

As for the exhaust, remove the cat and put on a turbo muffler. Headers are a great idea, especially for the V6 to delete that troublesome crossover pipe. They are, however, expensive and not many people sell them. Expect to pay $600+ for a set.

Shocks are a good idea, I recommend Skyjacker Hydro 7000s if you're on a budget. If not, Bilsteins all the way.

33x10.5" tires will fit without a lift. Also, if you want to upgrade to 33s, you might want to regear. They recommend 4.88s for 33s, but I have 4.30s with 32s and its fine. I would think 33s with the 4.56 and the v6 engine would be fine. I haven't heard much about the KM2 in regards to snow performance. If it is like any other mud tire, it would be poor in the snow. I've heard nothing but good things about the Goodyear Wrangler duratrac, however whether or not they make the 33" in a 10.5" width, I'm not sure.

If you do lift it, BJ spacers and an add-a-leaf or shackles, preferably shackles.

I like the removable doors. I have always wanted to do that to my truck, but I think that it might be illegal in Maryland. I'll have to check local laws.

Looks like another awesome truck on Yotatech! I can't wait to see how this one turns out!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Welcome! Nice to see another 3rd gen extra cab!!

As for the km2s in the snow... there great in anything over 3". Anything less than that on pavement can get a little harry.... They might be ok if you sype them...but lockers in the snow, even with good tires.. can be pretty scary some time...

Last edited by rattlewagon; 07-11-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 PM

thanks fellas. ive been looking around on this forum for quite some time and every time i look for anything extra-cab, you guys come up. sweet trucks! 93, i love how clean yours is. and rattlewagon, man... that thing looks like FUN! ha i'll be sure to subscribe to both!

no BL, you're right the bumper just looks lower in that picture.

i hadn't thought about a turbo muffler. i'll have to look into that! thanks!

i was planning on just saving for the bilstein's. but.. how do you like your skyjackers??

i'm just a fan of the 10.5 flavor. i would totally go for the duratracs if they came in that size. im not really interested in buying new wheels right now ha.

the removable doors are cake to do! i think a set of half doors or tube doors would be nice from a safety stand point, but i think if that becomes too much of an issue i would just leave them on.

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
They might be ok if you sype them...but lockers in the snow, even with good tires.. can be pretty scary some time...
Oooo... hadn't even thought of that

im well aware that as a mud tire, they wouldn't be great in the snow. just wondering if they were siped if they would be less than horrible.

maybe if that's the case i'll just avoid anything less than 3in but ive got a few months before i have to worry about that anyway. dont have my heart set on those tires either.

Got all the paint and stuff the other day, that will keep busy this weekend. can't beat $50! i'm so sick of it being 4 different colors..
Old 07-15-2012, 04:38 PM

finished painting it all this weekend and i've learned that i'm no michaelangelo... oh well, it's all one color. that's what i was going for! it didn't turn out horrible, just not great. i'll post some pictures of it tomorrow.

but halfway thru the process, i took a break and went out with some friends and got a few pictures

i'll get the ones of it painted up tomorrow, or whenever i find the camera..
Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM

still can't find the camera, so some crappy cell phone pics will have to suffice.

thank goodness it's all one color now ha..
Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 PM

just a little update.. started working on the diff breather mod tonight. got the rear one all done. gotta work on the front one some other time... ran out of time tonight. totally worth the 12 bucks or so that it cost.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Artsy phone pic...

CV boot finally gave out, spent wednesday fixing it. I think it took me longer to find everything i needed than to actually fix it. wish i had the money to replace everything else up front instead of taking everything apart again. oh well.. got er fixed and ready to go! yay!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
hey just checking in you thread and saying good luck! i have the same truck and I love looking for ideas on the 3rd gen xcabs! keep up the good work
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM

thanks man, i appreciate it! same here, always looking for more ex-cab ideas.

my wife actually just bought a winch for my birthday, i just need to figure out what im doing to mount it. she's pretty awesome.

also found some tires on craigslist that were cheap, but id like to get another set of wheels to put them on because my 31's are in better shape and i'd like to keep them.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
If she just bought you a winch, I say you better wash some more dishes to keep momma happy....lol Seriously tho good truck and post some pics of when u get the winch mounted
Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM

ha.. oh trust me, i've been doing everything i can to make her happy

hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks i'll have it all mounted and ready to go!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Haven't been on much lately.. been super slammed with work. What a great problem to have!

As far as an update on the truck: it needs the brakes done... bad. i've got new pads and rotors, just gotta find the time to do it. It also needs new shocks too... bad Hopefully I'll have time in the next few weeks to get her all fixed up!

But.... until I find the time to take care of all of that, I have this to drive:

1988 4Runner SR5

I got it for $1800 from a guy who took pretty good care of it.

-3VZE
-5spd
-281xxx miles
-New timing belt/water pump less than 10k miles
-New knock sensors less than 10k miles
-New head gasket less than 10k miles
-New warn hubs

He also gave me two sets of wheels/tires (set of hankook snows with less than 3k miles on stock steelies and a set of bfg all terrains on sr5 wheels that still have a little bit of life left), an extra transfer case, an extra steering box, a bunch of other small parts, and 3 FSM's

It has the usual rust, which I plan on taking care of, hopefully, in the next few months. The back window only works from the inside, which is kind of a bummer. I'll be taking care of that soon too. The steering box should be replaced, but i have the extra one thankfully! Other than that, and the mileage, it's in really good shape. Super clean on the inside, no rips in the seats, neither the sunroof or the top leak. It even has toyota red coolant in it, which was a nice surprise. I'm happy with it!

(obviously, i swapped tires with the truck. the 235's look tiny on the ex-cab!)
Old 12-24-2012, 04:49 PM

Nice find on th 4runner man and I like ur pickup it's a good lookin truck
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Thanks! I might have to sell the pickup... hoping not to though its been a great truck!

Yours is pretty awesome too. I'm a fan of the white... oh.. and that bumper is sick!

Last edited by willmasterflex; 12-27-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM

thanks man it was a lot of work makin it lol... why might u have to sell your truck?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM

funds are kind of tight... after reading through your build again, id rather hang onto it. it would make such a great trail rig. it's been a great truck. i'll have to re-evaluate that decision.

i just finished up the brakes and some new shocks, making it that much harder to part with ha.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM

thanks man haha its deff been the best vehicle i have ever owned by a long shot and it doesnt take much to make it a great trail rig it amazed me what the truck could bone stock