86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Staying Classic, Keeping a 1988 3.0 Pickup for life

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Right on and I understand that with the suspension and motor break in. I wish there was a coilover conversion for these ifs trucks and not one that made the track width so wide like the total chaos one. I also like how you have a fully rebuilt engine in there vs something with 100k plus miles. Well probably wasn't the cheapest route haha

When you did the repaint how did you touch up the chrome bits like the bumpers, windshield trim, and the grill/headlight buckets?
Some type of coilover setup on these IFS trucks would be great! Wonder if its possible to make new perches for the shock towers and somehow make something work.. If it were, I'm sure someone would have already.

I wasnt set on doing the rebuild to the engine at the start, until I found that bad cylinder which pretty much made the decision for me heh. But your right, its nice to know everything is all fresh and ready to go for the long haul under the hood.

As for the chrome bits, I didnt have to retouch anything on the grill or the bumper, they are still in their stock chrome. Little knicks here and there but holding up surprisingly well. As for the window trim, my old stuff was missing all of the plastic linings and I ended up purchasing a whole new set through toyota for around $250 - $300 i think it was. If my old stuff was in better shape I would have tried to save it but i decided to bite the bullet and just get the new set. Probably overkill on what you get for the money but after the repaint I couldnt bear to get my new windshield installed with the old trim.

Just took my first little trip in the truck, only 50 miles but it did great. Driving down the highway it never skipped a beat and you would have never known anything had changed, until you step on the gas a little more
Old 02-21-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
I see thanks for the info! One day I will repaint mine, I'm just focused on mechanical now
Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 PM

I see thanks for the info! One day I will repaint mine, I'm just focused on mechanical now
Do you have a build thread going on? Post it up here so I can come follow along!

Did some more work over the weekend, trying to get ready for the supercharger to go on. Ended up putting in the new 190lph walbro fuel pump which let me drop my fuel tank down for the first time ever. Seems like it was still in pretty good shape inside. After I washed all the dirt and crap that was built up over the years on top of it, the inside was pretty clean. My old pump has been making a whining noise recently, and I noticed a studder on the freeway the other day when I was laying into the throttle some, so I figure now was a perfect time to put in the new fuel pump since I have to anyways before the SC, and it will be an easy way to cross fuel pressure off the list of reasons for the stutter I noticed.

All cleaned up

Shot of the inside

Old pump

New pump ready to install back into the tank

New pump has kind of a funny noise to it, almost sounds like a sprinkler inside of my tank, but a quick call to urd eased my fear of any trouble. I drove it around and so far everything seems to be running just great, no stutters yet so hopefully that was the issue.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM

It has been a good last month with the big project finally winding down. After spending most of march putting the first thousand miles on the new motor and getting it through the CA referee I can finally feel the tension from all the unknowns that seem to pile up on a project like this fading away. I got my sticker on the truck last week which was a huge relief.

After putting a good 1500 miles on the new engine over the last month and getting all of the little loose ends tidied up I finally got the supercharger and 7th injector kit installed. This is all new territory for me but it will be a fun adventure to start learning how to tune the urd controller and adjust everything. Its definitely got some more pep to it that is for sure! After all of the wiring in the swap and headaches that came from that, installing the supercharger and 7th injector kit was a breeze. It is nice to be so familiar with every bolt and hose under the hood!

Time to get a real Air Fuel gauge in there to help me, I found one of the few spots in these old dashs that would allow me to stick a gauge in there with out cutting up any of the stock plastics. I cant bear to cut anything up since everything in the interior of these trucks has become impossible to find replacements for. I removed the oddly place plastic cubby box that I had in there and made faceplate that fits right up in its spot. It worked out a lot better than I expected, all the wiring is hidden in the dash and it sits in an OK spot with out needing to do any permanent modifications to the dash.

I also finally got a new set of wheels on the truck. I have been looking for a long time now for a set of 16" aluminum wheels that wouldnt clash with the old body style but give me the benefits of more tire sizes and the added bonus of both my trucks having the same rim/tire sizes just in case. I ended up settling on a set of the SCS Ray10's in 16x8 Dark Bronze. I think they match up pretty good, better than I was hoping. I was still a little nervous about it before they were put on the truck. Something about larger and or too modern of rims on these generation trucks just rubs me the wrong way in my eyes. I am not a huge fan of the fake beadlock trend so I got them with black bolts to help hide the fact that they are on there and it also kind of gives the added bonus of making the rim look more like a 15" since its all black and blends in more with the tire.

Last edited by mbomberz1; 03-29-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:48 AM

Nice update! I read everything that was in the email notification but I think yotatech messed up cause not everything is showing up. Myst feel great to have it pass the bar, congrats!

Ps. I do have a build thread but it doesn't show up in the threads I created..Not sure who to ask to fix that
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-283185/
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 sales, two owners

I just bought back the 1988 LWB 3.0 4x4 pickup I bought new in 1988, drove two years and sold to a friend. He kept it immaculate for 27 years and 283,000 miles. Original seats, no tears or stains, original windshield, engine, u-joints, wheel bearings, bed paint. Very few chips or scratches. Zero rust (Arizona truck). Every time I drive it, someone wants to buy it. Having a ball with this thing. I added the FJ40 wheels and dog dish hubcaps.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 PM

My 1988 Time Machine

Seats are original. Floormats, too. Dash has a couple cracks, unavoidable in Arizona.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:41 AM

What's the new tire size? Looks like a 32x11.5
Old 04-03-2017, 02:56 PM

30 x 9.5 R15
Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 AM

Was asking @mbomberz1 but thanks for the info. Nice looking truck!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 PM

Was asking @mbomberz1 but thanks for the info. Nice looking truck!
Hey yota dude, totally missed this comment somehow, the new tires are 285/75r16. They are load range E unfortunately since that is what nearly every tire is nowadays in that size but its not as rough as I was expecting if I run around 32psi.

I am getting ready to finally do some tuning to my truck and I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on where to go for some good info about data logging a wide band AFR gauge, along side the 7th injector URD box. Would like to be able to accurately adjust the fuel and timing based on concrete data not just eyeballing.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Good deal, thanks for the info!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
WOW! Lots of updates/upgrades, and serious transmission and engine work there! As you were rebuilding your tranny, mine was at a transmission shop near Dallas after it started clunking and sounding like a semi going uphill on the highway during my Route 66 trip
Happy Independence Day!