86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Staying Classic, Keeping a 1988 3.0 Pickup for life

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SKT
Just stumbled upon this thread.

Sharp looking truck from the few pics I could see. Seems a lot of the pics were not working though.

Absolute bummer to hear it was stolen, but definitely a miracle that it was recovered, especially without much damage or being completely striped.

Really like the way that soft-top looks on it!
It was pretty heartbreaking when that happened, still amazed I got it back. Thanks for stopping by the thread, curious if the pictures are working better for you now? I tried viewing the thread not logged in and from a different computer, everything seems ok. Maybe just a momentary glitch? Not sure! Hopefully all working now.

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Because the truck was stolen did they title end up becoming salvaged? Looks to clean to have a salvage title if so! haha
Thanks again buddy, it still has a standard title thankfully. I tried looking into the stated value insurance that was suggest by Skypilot, but everyone I talked to wanted nothing to do with it since my truck is 'only' an 88. Its not really a classic and it seems all the people who do that are looking at either older vehicles, or vehicles that are only driven a few times a year for shows and parades. Definitely not what I want to use mine for!

Curious if I am missing something obvious here about what you were suggesting Skypilot.

Well a little update, its been slow. Had a big present show up from the santa who drives a truck

Things are really cold and dark after work these days and its been hard to get outside and make much progress (at least for me and my CA weather tolerance, I dont know how you guys in the east work on anything in the winter). I got the transmission pulled and started the rebuild. Slow going as I gather appropriate tools to get it rebuilt. Final big hurdle is separating the output shaft gears and bearings. Now that I have a bearing splitter I think I should be good, just gotta get outside and do it!

Hope everyone is having a good start to the Christmas season.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:33 AM

Finally got the transmission done, at least it seems to be done. We will see how it shifts once its back in and the swap is complete. Getting a little more nervous by the week thinking about how much stuff is going on at the same time. Didnt really plan it like this but between the 3.4 swap, it also being my first engine rebuild, and my first transmission rebuild.. there is a lot of variables going on. That first start sure is going to be a memorable one.

Thought I would throw up a few more pictures of the transmission rebuild in my build thread now that it is done. In case anyone is curious, I would have to say the rebuild wasnt THAT hard. Hardest part is figuring out how to press stuff apart and back together correctly. That and trying to decipher the older version of the R150F rebuild manual, its very lacking on pictures, and if you dont know what everything is called it can be hard to follow along. Seems to have a lot of implied knowledge built into the way it was written. But that didnt make it impossible, just slowed me down, which was probably good. Spent more time trying to understand how everything worked and hopefully after all of that I will end up with a good fresh transmission.

First and 5th pulled off the output shaft

First Gear Needle bearings

2nd and 3rd gear still on the output shaft

Input/Ouput shaft bearing with the 3/4 shift collar

Intermediate plate all cleaned up and painted

Everything almost all back together with new bearings, syncros and a few new snap rings. Also installed Marlins cromeoly 1st gear thrust washer. If your going this far in, why not do it right?

Marlins heavy duty bearing retainer

Going back together, first couple of test fits, trying to remember how everything came apart and how to get it back together

All togeother and shifting correctly in the vise, marlins 1st/2nd gear shift fork installed

Cases all cleaned up and clear coated, ready to get a new transmission installed into them finally

Front case installed

Rear case getting installed

Input shaft bearing cover painted, installed and torqued down

All done! Shifts into all gears on the bench just fine. Hope it does in the truck too!

Last edited by mbomberz1; 12-23-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Damn impressive work!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:54 PM

Damn impressive work!
Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Awesome.
Thanks you guys! Cant wait to get this swap completed.

Made some decent progress the last two days. Was able to pull out the 3.0 and drop in the 3.4 to test fit the exhaust crossover. Hoping to get it fully welded up tomorrow.

Ill be updating the swap thread with most of the details. Hope you guys had a good Christmas.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Time to change the name of your build thread.
​​
Old 12-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
Time to change the name of your build thread.
​​
Haha, good catch there space-junk. I think I will hold off until this thing makes it through the california bar. Will be a nice way to celebrate
Old 12-29-2016, 08:37 PM

Gonna cut a hole in the hood?
Old 01-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Gonna cut a hole in the hood?

Luckily I already had a 2" body lift installed so no hood issues!

Engine is finally in for good!

The wiring is killing me.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:58 AM

haha good call
Old 02-08-2017, 04:51 PM

This project is finally coming close to the end! Only things left are getting the cooling system back together, weld a new flange up to my muffler pipe to get the new exhaust connected, making a clutch line bracket and topping off the fluids. Things sure have taken longer than I had hoped, especially with all the rain we have been getting here in CA finally. Seems like every time I am able to go out and work on something its raining out there, but finally the end is in sight. Those first start up nerves are starting to set in, between the wiring, transmission rebuild and the engine rebuild I feel like there are a lot of areas to have missed something..

Engine bay coming together

The rain stopped for just long enough today to replace my blower motor resistor, something I have been putting off for quite a long time. Infact the 15 years now that I have owned this truck, I never had the lowest setting. While I was in there I took the time to clean up the motor a little and wash the fan, remove the sticks and leaves. Its like a new hvac system now! Here is a silly video of how nice and quiet it is now, couldnt believe it. I should have done this years ago.

Anxious to get back out on the road again.

Hopefully my next post will be a video of a running truck!

Last edited by mbomberz1; 02-08-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 AM

5vz Swap is basically complete, I was able to finish up the exhaust and cooling system over the weekend in time to start it up and take it for its first few drives.

Here is the first start!

and a 2nd video after topping off the fluids and a few drives

And the first trip to down town, felt great to drive it around again and have everything turn out so well in the end. Very little issues once I got it started up.

Last edited by mbomberz1; 02-13-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:42 PM
SKT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Job well done!!

Old 02-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, great job!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by SKT

Job well done!!

Originally Posted by joesgarage
Wow, great job!
Thanks guys, feels so good to have the hard part behind me. Now the fun begins Can't wait to take it up into the mountains and try it in the hills.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:24 PM

Wow nice! Looks awesome. Hows the increase in power? also hows the rebuilt trans feel?
Old 02-14-2017, 11:32 PM

Also what's your suspension setup? 2in body lift? Stock torsion bars/rear leafs?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW!! I forgot about this thread, and also forgot about amazing your truck is! Looks better than new. Nice work on the 3.4 swap!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 PM

Wow nice! Looks awesome. Hows the increase in power? also hows the rebuilt trans feel?

Also what's your suspension setup? 2in body lift? Stock torsion bars/rear leafs?
Thanks buddy, dower is definitely noticeably better than the 3.0, though I haven't really been hammering it much.. trying to let the engine break in a little bit before I get on it! I am just running a 2" body lift on 32"s, that is all for lift.

I keep pondering the idea of switching to 16" wheels so I can run 285 75 r16s, but I think that would require a little bit more lift. If I could find a good way to get another 1.5 inches front and rear I think that would be perfect.

Originally Posted by Gizler00
WOW!! I forgot about this thread, and also forgot about amazing your truck is! Looks better than new. Nice work on the 3.4 swap!
Thanks a bunch Gizler, its been a long road but worth it!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Right on and I understand that with the suspension and motor break in. I wish there was a coilover conversion for these ifs trucks and not one that made the track width so wide like the total chaos one. I also like how you have a fully rebuilt engine in there vs something with 100k plus miles. Well probably wasn't the cheapest route haha

When you did the repaint how did you touch up the chrome bits like the bumpers, windshield trim, and the grill/headlight buckets?

Quick Reply: Staying Classic, Keeping a 1988 3.0 Pickup for life