86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Rob2thec's 1995 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob2thec's 4Runner Build, Dual sport!

This build thread started with a 1995 4-runner. However I have since put the last year of my time into a 1987 4runner. It has been a PITA but it is starting to get there.

The plan for the 4runner was to build a daily driver, overland expedition vehicle that could be used for surf trips in Mexico and camping. It will see mainly desert driving however I do want a "dual sport" type of vehicle.

I started with a 1987 4-runner that I bought for $1500.00 from a guy in Lancaster CA. He purchased it from a tow yard auction. The reason I wanted the 1st gen 4-runner was the 22RE, Rear leaf springs and IFS. Yes I WANT IFS. Well after taking a look at the truck it had all the creature comforts I wanted. Power windows and locks, A.C., sun roof, 5-speed, and the reliable 22RE. The 22re ran a little rough but the seller had just put a new head on and did the HG. After a test drive it ran a little rough and there was a lot of little issues that had to be worked out. I had planed on doing a full overhaul and was not worried about the rough running motor. Heck it's a Toyota right no worries...

So I though wrong.

A friend of mine and I tackled the motor. Flushing the fluids and ordering up a heap of parts. Timing, plugs cap rotor wires, PVC, gaskets to fix some leaks. After we tore into the motor and stated the timing chain, it seemed like nothing matched up. The timing chain was wrong... WTF? Well come to find out that this was NOT the original motor. It was an older 22re with the taller deck hight. Bummer. So back to the parts shop to get the right timing kit.

After about a week of carefully going through the motor and drive line cleaning dirt and grime, it was time to tune and drive her home. The tune never seemed to be right, it was dieseling bad. Timing must be off right? So we adjust the timing and get it to idle right. I jump in and take it for the drive home. It starts to run terrible on the highway just before my house. I limp it home to see that the dip stick was blown out, and there was coolant and oil everywhere. I have it towed back to my friends shop were we do a compression test. Motor blown. After inspection we find that the PO put very very heavy oil in the motor to make it barley run. after our thorough flush it had major blow by. Motor done, and the wrong motor to boot!

So I was off to the junk yard to find the right block. $200.00 later I was back in business. i found a clean un bored block. After doing my research here on good old YT I called up the boys at Engnblrd and ordered the full rebuild kit. Big valve head and .261 cam. STOKED! After getting the motor back from the machine shop I had to go out of town for two months for work in FL. I left the 4-runner at my friends shop who was going to finish the install and have it running. I made sure he had all the parts that he needed and cash for any expenses. The friend is an amazing Honda mechanic have built and raced many FAST imports. I thought I was in good hands. WRONG.

This two moth rebuild turned into a 1 year rebuild. More of that in the rest of this thread.

Thank you all for viewing, I will have more updates soon!

Last edited by Rob2thec; 01-02-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
total chaos.

what front CV's are you gonna run?

Originally Posted by Rob2thec
For the rear, we will be adding a 12 inch 2.0 Fox res shock, retaining all of the stock suspension components.
why upgrade to a fox res shock but not upgrade at least the rear springs?
they are probably sagging like typical 4runner springs

Last edited by dropzone; 10-26-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:10 PM

The rear springs are upgraded to OME901's. When I said stock suspension components I meant all the stock links and panhard bar.

Don't want to deal with TC, and another long travel truck. I want to keep stock width in front and rear.

I will be using the stock CV's we are making the front work best as we can with them. We have been checking the degree to be sure that it will not cycle to the point of binding. So far we are pretty happy.

Last edited by Rob2thec; 10-26-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 PM

Why do you want to stay away from total chaos??? I'm currently debating a gen II Caddy in my truck. It's also a dd/baja surfwagon.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Oh nothing personal with TC. They make great stuff, I have built 3 other trucks all LT, and do not want to deal with fiberglass fenders. Sort of want to have a "stealth" truck that works, and I want a stock width truck too.

Were do you surf?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM

Spent last winter camped out at San Pedrito, surfed a bit at Cerritos, but it's pretty busy/touristy these days with the beach bar. I'll probably head back down in some time in december.... About these long travel trucks of yours, I'm curious to know more... Were they all Total Chaos? Which kit did you run? Any problems with the TC setup? Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, Just looking for some feedback from someone who has actually run a TC Kit before I dive into mine.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM

None of my trucks had Total Chaos but I have had a few friends with there kits, I also know Nicole and the people over there. There kits work great, good bang for the buck. Instillation and prep is pretty easy and TC usually has products in stock when you have to prep it.

All my trucks had Duffco (when they were still around) and the last one pictured below was a custom kit built by AM suspension. (now out of business)

Send me a PM, I am happy to chat with you on the phone about kits that are out there And what I have experience with. Really all boils down to what you are going to do with the truck. Another really nice and affordable option out there is the Blazeland LT kits.

http://blazeland.us/

Uses all the stock arms so aliment is really easy, and super reliable to service seeing it uses stock upper and lower arms. Very cool design.

Some progress photos coming SOON!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:41 PM

hello my name is jim, i am from indiana and would like to ask you a few questions since are so eager to answer them. im am very new to off road but have raced my cr 250 semi pro for at least 8 years until my knees seid no more. all my friends are now into 4x4 trucks.
so i went out and looked for the best trail rig i could find witch was a real nice 92 v6 runner for 700 dollars with blown head gaskets.
i am now in the the build back u stage i have a set of 33x12.5 i am not trying to climb up a wall just mild trails and a little bit of rough stuff i would like to know if a body lift of maybe 3 inches or a 4 inch suspention lift will do i do not know a lot about it so any help would be great
Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rob2thec,

The "mid travel" suspension looks good! Super beefy construction. I am amazed you got it done so fast. Seems like just yesterday we were getting the tire size sorted out. Are the 33x10.50s right on the money? Any chance of you meeting up with me and the Slaw Dogs out in Ocitillo this weekend? Good place to christen your creation.

Blazen8
Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by firsttimer
hello my name is jim, i am from indiana and would like to ask you a few questions since are so eager to answer them. im am very new to off road but have raced my cr 250 semi pro for at least 8 years until my knees seid no more. all my friends are now into 4x4 trucks.
so i went out and looked for the best trail rig i could find witch was a real nice 92 v6 runner for 700 dollars with blown head gaskets.
i am now in the the build back u stage i have a set of 33x12.5 i am not trying to climb up a wall just mild trails and a little bit of rough stuff i would like to know if a body lift of maybe 3 inches or a 4 inch suspention lift will do i do not know a lot about it so any help would be great
There is a lot of people on these boards that have more knowledge then I do with the 4-runners. From what I have read, the best would be a set of rear Old Man Emu springs, and shocks. That should get you some rear lift, for the front torsion bars, and new shocks to start. You could also go with a Ball Joint spacer in the front, but I personally dont trust them if your really beating on the truck. Take off the front and rear sway bars or buy some quick disconnects.

From there I would just replace all the stock ball joints and tie rods, go through the bushings front and rear and be sure everything is snug and in good shape. Beat on it, have fun and when your ready to go Ape buy a blazeland kit, TC kit or one like I am building. For the rear, add a panhard drop bar, rear brake line, and some go for it!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Rob2thec,

The "mid travel" suspension looks good! Super beefy construction. I am amazed you got it done so fast. Seems like just yesterday we were getting the tire size sorted out. Are the 33x10.50s right on the money? Any chance of you meeting up with me and the Slaw Dogs out in Ocitillo this weekend? Good place to christen your creation.

Blazen8
Thanks!, I have more photos coming after this weekend. Can't make it this weekend, Have to work on the rig. Doing the rear suspension. Making some shock mounts and installing the Fox 2.0x 12".

Arms are at powder coat this week too! So have to reinstall this weekend as well.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:48 PM

None of my trucks had Total Chaos but I have had a few friends with there kits, I also know Nicole and the people over there. There kits work great, good bang for the buck. Instillation and prep is pretty easy and TC usually has products in stock when you have to prep it.

All my trucks had Duffco (when they were still around) and the last one pictured below was a custom kit built by AM suspension. (now out of business)

Send me a PM, I am happy to chat with you on the phone about kits that are out there And what I have experience with. Really all boils down to what you are going to do with the truck. Another really nice and affordable option out there is the Blazeland LT kits.

http://blazeland.us/

Uses all the stock arms so aliment is really easy, and super reliable to service seeing it uses stock upper and lower arms. Very cool design.

Some progress photos coming SOON!
still waiting for those progress photos... p.s. what's the deal with the front clip on this truck. looks bada$$
Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 AM

The holidays put a bit of a clamp on working on the truck. My friend also had to move shops so until he gets settled in things are on hold.

Oh yeah, and I got another 4-runner this time an 1987. I like leaf springs, cant deal with that rear link coil set up.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Ok some changes...

So my GF's ford exploder finally took a dump. With 90k miles on it and two transmissions I am over dealing with that POS. Sold it and now she is in the Green 4-runner pictured above.

That ordeal left me looking for a new set of wheels, it also gave me a great excuse to buy a 1st gen. So thats what I did:

Has some miles on it:

here is a few other shots;

The PO did some odd things. like what is going on here:

So after going through the motor, and doing a leak down check it seems the block is good. So ordered up some parts;

I will be going through the motor this weekend. anything that is worn will be looked at or replaced. She runs ok for now, but should be smooooooth after this weekend.

Also ordered up an Tuffy center console, and some Neoprean seat covers front and rear.

Post some more after the weekend maintenance
Old 12-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Sweet, looks a lot like my 4 Runner. I got some wheels and tires for your project. I've got a LT suspension kit too I was cleaning out the garage and found a bunch of shocks I'll donate for free if you need them? The Dosce Tech and the Ranchos; in position (b) and (c) are in good condition. All the rest are marginal but work well for mock up!

Last edited by BlazeN8; 04-17-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM

SWEET!, Thank you Nate.

I am definitely interested in the wheels, and tires, what's the specs? I actually wanted to get a set of wheels powder coated like you have.

I am not sure about the shocks, I think I have what I need but I will let you know for sure!

Stoked to get going on this thing this weekend.

-R
Old 12-15-2009, 01:56 PM

So you're not going to be building up the 95?
Man I wanted to see that thing get built
oh well good luck on whatever u decide to do
Old 12-15-2009, 05:51 PM

well the 95 is still a possibility. right now just going to try and get this one done then we will see...

-R
Old 12-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Yeah the shocks would only be a temporary thing. Only a slight upgrade to the stockers. The SR-5 wheels are the Offset 8s from the later model rigs. A slightly shallower backspace (like 1/4") I had them lightly sandblasted and powdercoated silver. The tires are BFG Muds size 32x11.50R15. Will just fit without a body lift or suspension lift. The deep backspace and 7" width works well with LT track widths. Call me off line. Number is on website if you misplaced it. Going to Ocotilla for New Years, get your project far enough along and bring it out.

SWEET!, Thank you Nate.

I am definitely interested in the wheels, and tires, what's the specs? I actually wanted to get a set of wheels powder coated like you have.

I am not sure about the shocks, I think I have what I need but I will let you know for sure!

Stoked to get going on this thing this weekend.

-R
Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 PM

Email sent. I will give ya a ring tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Rob2thec's 1995 4Runner Build-Up Thread