86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My truck's story

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck's story

I was 13 years old when my Dad first got this truck in Motgomery Alabama. Over the years it has lived in 6 states some of those more than once. So now to a few year ago when my Dad was ready to sell the truck. I had always told him I wanted it and I still did. When he called I was more then happy to drive the 900 miles to pick it up.

He had it for 21 years, bet it was hard to see it go.

It had a easy trip from KY back to TX behind old Ballsy.

One of the first things I did was look for a bench seat since there was three of us going to ride in it. The first junk yard I went to had this little truck.

With this seat!!!!

Not bad for $100.

I really think my Dad got all the use out of those.

Not bad.... Also got a few more things out of that Nissan that worked in the Toy.

Had to try out the new seat so went to the beach.

Then I put the truck to work.

But not for long, went back up to KY to play in the creeks.

On the way home the fuel pump went out early one morning. Had just enough speed going to get off the highway. Lucky there was a Autozone about a mile away with the fuel pump in stock. Was back on the road in under 2 hrs. I did bad and had to drain the tank right there. Hated that...
That was also the trip my Dad found a newer topper for me. A old farmer had it in a barn and wanted $50. SOLD!!!! Then back to work....

More to come....

Last edited by Donsway; 06-05-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Let's not give the greenies any ammo or pics.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 AM

So the next trip to KY had me doing brakes. You would think I would check this stuff out before long trips, but when you drive a Toyota you just know it will make it no matter what

On that trip also had to do the shifter thingy. Dad had the trans. done and the guy use Ford parts on the shifter??? You can see it did not work well.

Here is where the story turns bad... Was coming out of Wal-Mart parking lot when a guy that was going to turn left came right, right into me.

Nothing to do but get online and find some new parts for the guy that hit me to pay for.

Not bad for alittle over $500. Went ahead and got new lights all the way around.

Dang that looks good!!! Lets go to the beach and show it off.

OK OK!!! I'll get to the rebuild part in my next post.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:45 AM

Found a running 86 with a 22r in it, and the price was right. FREE!!! Pulled the engine, took it apart and to the machine shop it went. Took 3 months to get it back the first time.

After finding out it needed bored .040 over I ordered a master kit from Ted at EPN.
http://www.engnbldr.com/Build-A-Kit_85-95.html

I also ordered one of his RV heads, with the 268 cam.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Subscribed.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 AM

By this time I had had the engine block bored, crank polished, and rods done. Put the lower end together to find how much had to come off the deck to get the pistons up all the way flat with the deck. Found out it needed .012 taken off by using a straight edge across the deck and a feeler gauge between the pistons and the straight edge. Took the lower end back apart to have the block decked.

When I got it back it was time to pull the engine out of the still running truck. I say still running, but the timing chain guide was gone and could hear the chain on the cover well.

I did not feel like tagging all those wires, and vac. line so I took pics like this to show me where they all went.

Here are a few more pics with the engine pulled.

You can see in that pic one of the exh. studs stripped out on me.

This is when I popped the injecters off and sent them to:
http://www.witchhunter.com/
I had them at the post office after lunch on a Monday. By that Saturday they were back in my mail box!!!! THAT IS DANG FAST!!! They looked like new and went from 4.9% static veriance to 1.1%, and a 4.3% to 0.8% on the pulsed. Two of them leaked before but are good now.

All ready to put the long block together. Sure made it easy since I already had these put together.

After much thought about what color the block should be I let my daughter pick it. She wanted yellow and is what she got.

Short block ready.

Head going on....

Not bad for a white boy...

Did some cleaning on the engine bay and is already for the install.

But first a new pilot bearing.

Last edited by Donsway; 05-31-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
nice scribed!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM

I did the wet paper deal to get it out and worked very well.

The day before I was on my way to Autozone in my Chevy to pick up a new exh. manifold I had ordered. Well the timing chain went bad so thought I would just get the Toyota going first and use it to shag parts for the Chevy. Went to install the exh. manifold (LINK) http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=61-0 just to find out the Toyota dealer had sold me the intake nuts and not the exh. CRAP!!!! So had to change gears since the right nuts would take 2 days to get here.
So that is when I moved the Toy out of the way and started on the 454 in the Chevy.

After bumming a ride for parts I had this truck back on the job.

And a hell of a mess to clean up....

And back to the Toy I went..

Got the exh. bolted up, intake on, new hoses (most of them). The small ones around the intake came from Toyota and are not cheap. Ended up having to get the elbow on the fresh air intake. The one that hooks to the TB, it was dry and cracked on me. That was another $65.

Let me take a step back for a min. Before I installed the spark plugs and wire I turned the eng. over about 30-45 seconds to get the oil pumping. At this time I found a fuel injecter leaking by the O-ring. DANGIT!!! So had to pull the intake and replace the O-ring. It was my bad on that one, got it crossed up and smashed it. Put it back together, turned it over a few time and no more fuel spraying. So popped the plugs in and grabed a video cam for the start up.

[youtube]
[/youtube]

After that first start I drove it doing 12 full throttle pulls from 30-50 MPH then back to the house to check for leaks. There were none. Let it cool some, then retorqued the head bolts, (about a 1/4 turn on all of them) and reset the rockers.

Last edited by Donsway; 04-17-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Loooooove the feeling when you start it up for the first time and the motor does what it's supposed to do! Did the head gasket on mine yesterday and can relate. It's a good feeling.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 AM

At 100 miles I changed the oil, and am now at 200 mile with everything doing great!!! Going to do anothe oil change at 500 and will reset the rockers then.

So a big thanks to this site and to the ones that I got all the info from like Flyingbrass. Sure made it easy on me.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 AM

Wanted to add some links I used to do this the right way the first time.

This is a great one!!!
https://www.yotatech.com/forumindex.php

Body Parts. Do not place order online, call to make sure what you want is really on hand.
http://www.ezbodyparts.com/

This is one of the first reads I did, and how I did most of it. Ted's way.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Lots of good stuff for the first timer.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ds/index.shtml

FAST injector cleaning service.
http://www.witchhunter.com/

This is really all someone needs to read. (flyingbrass)
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ebuild-192584/

Or (iamsuperbleeder)
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-181237/

Something most like to know is how much did it cost?

Machine Shop $200.
EPN Master Kit, RV head and cam 810.
Injector Cleaning 86.
Exhaust Manifold (new) 86.
Toyota Dealer Parts 188.
Parts Store Stuff 140.
_______
Total $1510.

Well worth it to have Dad's truck running like new. (or maybe better)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome, congratulations!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 PM

subfreakinscribed!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:31 PM

SCORE on the seats, too Sir! So those Nissan's bolted right up, eh? Good job on the entire thing, very enjoyable read!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks!

That seat went right in, had the right bend on the front mounts and everything. Only mod. needed was the front mounts where 1" too close on the Nissan, if that. But all I did was bolt up the passenger's side in the stock spot on the Toy. Then drilled a hole on the driver's side and put a bolt, and nut in it. The Toy's floor is the same all the way across under the seats so about an inch in worked very well, and seat still sits straight. The rear mounts are the same and bolted right up.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
nice work man!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Sweet!!
I would have upgraded to the 4wd fenders though....
Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Today I got a new TPS from O'Reilly. It is a BWD, part # EC3150 made in Japan. Cost me $161.28 after Tax. Came with a lifetime warranty. Called the dealer and they wanted $203. and a 2 day wait. Parts plus: $158. 3-4 day wait. Buy Lo: $190. next day. Autozone: 149.99 2 day wait.

O'Reily could get it by 2:00 today and wanted $164.99 but after telling the guy it was $149.99 at the Zone I got it for that price. "Low price guaranteed"

OK on to gettin it on....

Used the never let me down so far Haynes repair manual.

Old and new. Just don't see all the gold I thought would be in there for the price.

There is a close up of the brushes, I bent a set up so you could see how they are made. They are what moves with the throttle. THEY ARE NOT MADE TO BE TAKIN APART TO BE CLEANED! As I had hoped. The plate is soldered in a way you have to break it out.

That is the plate it rotates on. There was a very small amount of black buildup on both the brushes, and the plate.

TB side.

The tool I used so I would not have to take anything else off. Worked good after getting the lower screw started.

Time to set that touchy sucker.

With the 0.022 in. feeler gauge I got it to set at 1.175 k ohms. All other tests came into spec resistances.

So far so good, did not do the bucking thing anymore on the short drive I took. Still think I may get a new O2 sensor since it is 25 years old and after lots of reading just sounds like a good thing to do.

Maybe I will get time to put the other 100 miles on needed to get to 500 tomorrow. That way I can do another oil change and a rocker adjustment. Should I hit those head bolts one more time? Did them after the first drive, and they all turned about 1/4 turn.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM

SWEET DEAL, MISTER! LOL.....

Were you having issues that caused you to replace the TPS? I didn't see that, and I'm REALLY having difficulties with my truck, before and after the engine I put in. I read back in your thread here, didn't see anything about needing a TPS.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:41 AM

Sorry about that, they moved this thread here so had to start another one.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...stions-213187/

It had a small bumping thing that would happen, almost felt like you were in heavy wind. Would only happen at part throttle, but would run strong when put to the floor. After much reading found that most others fixed it with a new TPS.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 AM

5 year update

Been all over in this thing. CA once, and KY a bunch of time. I live in TX so right at 800 miles one way to where I go. Engine now has just over 80,000 miles on it. Still running strong, and gets drove everyday. Love this truck! Long live the 22re. Hope everyone is doing great, and having fun in your Toyotas.

Quick Reply: My truck's story