86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

HIrunna's 1990 4runner Build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HIrunna's 1990 4runner Build-up thread

So, when people had asked me, what kind of wheeling do you wanna build this for? I can't say, I only like sand, or mud, or rocks. I wanted a rig that could do fairly well in all types, hence, all terrain. Any ways, I've put a lot of work into this truck.

I'm only 17, but I learn quick and I'm already a navy and abs certified welder and I can tig pretty good...

$1650
1990 Toyota 4runner
~3vze
~Auto
~180k Miles
~4x4
~Lots of rust
~Lots of leaks
~Big Smile

So, first day I drove it, I spent more time in the sand than on the road...of course, things ended bitter sweet. Broke BOTH CV joints, stranded with 2wd and got stuck trying to get back to the road. Damn, haha. 2 CV joints...decided to just SAS instead of spending money to keep my IFS working...

So while I researched SAS info, I took a closer look at my new toy, it really needed some work. Started with the body work and the motor. Ended up replacing all the seals and gaskets, and did some work on the transmission.

Rust galore on every door, fender, panel...some exmaples

After about a 2 weeks I was left with a 4runner that ran better and wasn't too sore on the eyes.

Wanting to do better in the sand and mud, decided to get super swampers from a friend. Very cheap too, so I couldn't turn down the offer. 35x14.5 TSL Super swampers on a 4runner with NO LIFT. haha At this point, all my SAS parts were in the mail, and now it was just a matter of time...

On Oahu, toyota axles are getting harder and harder to find. I picked this up for about 300. Prices for stock axles are now around 450 on CL.

Parts came in, and I rebuilt my first axle. Wasn't hard at all, just a pain in the ass cleaning everything...haha. I also welded on a diff guard using 3/8" steel and sch 80. For some reason, I decided to fully TIG weld the truss...

So, a pack of red bull, coke, and a bag full of Mc Chickens and sirachi hot sauce, me and my friend got to work. Went with the TG IFS eliminator kit, with the 5" HD springs.

First flex test...

For the rear, went with 63" chevy springs...has that pit bull look, but I will have to add a leaf and a 2" block to level it out...

Rolling around with a SASed toy definitely makes you stand out when you're on an island full of toys with stage 1 pro comp lifts and stretched tires. Something lacked however...so I ended up with this...

A screaming 327 from a 1968 corvette. Behind it, a rebuilt 700r4 trans with shift kit and the works. Behind that, an NP241 tcase from a 4x4 04 suburban. Motor has an Edelbrock performer kit...

Soon after, a clean frame. (Ignore the stabilizer, I know my steering will bind...)

Since I had the motor out, decided to make a new from cross member. Tig welded in some quater inch square tubing. After tig welding it to the frame, did a full weld across the spring hanger.

To put that cross member to work, made my first tube bumper...used sch 80 and 3/4" thick steel for the mounts.

Still need to mount fairlead...but added some hella lights!

With some of the left over sch80, decided to make my t case mount....

So over a period of time consisting of cussing, welding, measuring, and reading, we have an almost completed swap. That white line in the bay is the line for my mechanical gauge. (as of 7/22/10)

Getting the radiator to fit required lots of cutting...LOTS. I had to make new body mounts...but I think it still came out good.

Core support was nearly gone...all it did was brace the radiator, and head lights...added stiffners and locking hood pins.

Also forgot, changed carbs...

The swap was completed a little over a week ago, now I am just working on minor details.

Here are some other small details that made the swap go as well as it did.

I made a new steering shaft, I machined the ends so they would "slip into each other" and remain true. After that I tig welded everything. With the old steering rod, you will have contact issues with headers. Especially where the big rubber shock absorber thing is behind the u-joint.

I used the chevy steering pump with the toyota box...HUGE difference. I had a hard time turning the 35x14.5s without moving with the old pump, with the chevy one, steering feels like butter, so easy and smooth. I did have to make my own mount though and things start to get tight...

My dad's friend who owns a hydrolic line shop owed us a favor so he made all of my lines...here are the ones he made for my trans cooling lines.

For all of the electrical work, I used marine grade wires.

I got the B&M mega shifter...so I decided to make an aluminum center console...with FUNCTIONAL CUP HOLDERS OMG

Went with all mechanical gauges...on the free way, im running at about 160, with no thermostat, shroud, or secondary fan so I'm very pleased with that.

Went with the optima yellow top...as you can see, there is no space for the windshield wiper fluid, and on the other side there was no space for the over flow. Had to cut out about half of my core support and made new body mounts to made space for the new radiator. Had to add stiffeners an locking hood pins to safetly secure the hood.

I'd like to note that I've aquired a dana 60 and ford 10.5".

Plans do not include leaf springs. Going to use a radius arm set up
Old 08-27-2010, 04:21 PM

How she sits today.

I'd like to add, I've aquired a dana 60 and ford 10.5 from an 05 f350.

Last edited by HIrunna; 08-27-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude...i lOVE it!
Not just your typical hawaii Yota.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so badass............................................ ................ love it dude.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 AM

That looks very very BADASS!!! Did you make the bumper yourself?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM

Thanks

And yes, I made the bumper myself. First one I've ever made, but the mounts are 3/4" thick and the bumper itself is sch80.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by HIrunna
Thanks

And yes, I made the bumper myself. First one I've ever made, but the mounts are 3/4" thick and the bumper itself is sch80.
That is a Job well done!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by ISFast
That is a Job well done!
Thank you
Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 AM

yeah you do great work dude. i personally dont like the v8 in there but thats just me and i know why you did it lol 3vze is slow as hell lol. just one badass yota \m/
Old 08-28-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
yeah you do great work dude. i personally dont like the v8 in there but thats just me and i know why you did it lol 3vze is slow as hell lol. just one badass yota \m/
Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment! Most people still trip because I'm only 17. haha

I love the chevy v8...its not stock. It has an edelbrock high rpm kit. Later down the road, I wanted to see if I could get a TPI kit for it...IMO, i think that'd be better than propane. But my truck definitely hauls ass now!

For now, I'm just focusing on rebuilding my dana axles and making my links for the radius arm set up.

Last edited by HIrunna; 08-28-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:19 PM

lol im 18 haha, if i had the money i would be doin the same as you .

yeah the v8 works right? easy to work on and is a simple as a toilet haha. And i bet its fast lol if i didnt have to worry about aircareup here then i would be dropping something around a 350 in there

oyah so you are going full width axles? are you going to narrow them at all? thats part of the problem with a big v8 and little toyota axles, might as well keep getting beefe er lol. hell dude im done with the 22re already haha im probs at about 125 hp and it just sucks on the hwy and any hill i see.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
lol im 18 haha, if i had the money i would be doin the same as you .

yeah the v8 works right? easy to work on and is a simple as a toilet haha. And i bet its fast lol if i didnt have to worry about aircareup here then i would be dropping something around a 350 in there

oyah so you are going full width axles? are you going to narrow them at all? thats part of the problem with a big v8 and little toyota axles, might as well keep getting beefe er lol. hell dude im done with the 22re already haha im probs at about 125 hp and it just sucks on the hwy and any hill i see.
I'm a navy and asb certified welder so I actually manage to squeeze two jobs along with school and a happy girl friend. Also used to work at an off road shop.

Incredibly easy to work on, sooooo much room! Its unbelievable, I love it. I didnt even have to touch the firewall, but I did cut out the core support in order to use this radiator. But I added stiffeners and the locking hood pins, so it all worked out perfectly. And I still have about 3-4" between my radiator and back of the grille, so I will add a secondary fan for traffic.

Not right away, and no, I won't be narrowing them. I'll be sticking with my toyota axles for now. Just gatta go a bit easy on them till I get that ford 10.5 under there.

I love the added hp...burn outs are no problem...till the axles give. But my piece hauls ass now, and it should only get better when I regear. This motor came with 275hp stock...so I should be around 350+ with all the goodies ive put into it.

Last edited by HIrunna; 08-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:48 PM

haha sounds awesome dude. i just got out of school and now i need to find a job... havent yet or i would be SAS'd lmao.

thats cool dude, but im just not sure i have the heart to go chevy motor lol. but man 350hp sound tempting haha.

you should narrow the axles, looks better imo. i have seen a few yotas with full widths and the tires stick so far out, kinda weird looking lol. hope you make it look badass lol. plus the narrow axles are nice, so you can fit through quad paths and bike paths lmao
Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM

Thats whats keeping me from throwing them under my 4runner so soon.

A bunch of people have told me if I get just all chromoly internals for my toy axles, it'll be just as strong as the d60...with the exception of the R&P. Plus in hawaii, trails are not wide...so yeah. Maybe save them for a future project.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 AM

yeah like toyota axles can be pretty strong, but i think you cant really beat a d60 lol its just a beast axle. but yeah throw long field axles in, v6 thirds and you can have some strong axles . only thing i see going wrong is destroying ring and pinions with the power of that v8? i know 904runner on here has destroyed a couple diffs from the power of his 3.4 and running 39's lol. but i cant see you having to many problems with it if you realize what your rig can handle? like i know my trucks limits and what will most likely end up bad lol. i say run the toyotas as long as you can stand em and if they work fine for you than great
Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 AM

My rear axle is the stock one, I just cut off all those tabs and mounts and welded on the spring perches. So I know the rear end aint too bad...since its the v6 axle.

I'm tempted to pick up an axle from a newer tacoma with an e locker. Are they stronger? They must be if its from a 3.4, right?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 PM

yeah you should be alright. yeah the rear axle out of a later tacoma has a stronger carrier from what i have been told? i would look into it. you could also put a rear v6 third into your front axle rather the stock 4cyl diff? much stronger diff.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Ahh, I did not know you could do that.

But since I'm running the toy axles, I think 35s are as big as im gunna go. And this is my current DD...

But if I can get my hands on a taco axle, I'll throw the v6 diff in the front, and part out whatevers left on my axle. But for the font, looking to get the chromoly birfields hubs and knuckle gussets.

For the rear, I just wanted to get chromo shafts and manual lockers. My diffs become the weak point, and I want a bullet proof power/drive train.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM

yeah since you are running 35"s you will not have too much stress there, but man a v8 can murder things lol. i wouldnt worry too much but when i saw how u toasted 2 cv's on your first day out :O lmao. exactly i would put the v6 up front if u do the swap. i will try and find you alink to one of my threads where a guy was showing me.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 PM

here its the 3rd page half way down, posted by whokrz

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...85/index3.html

Quick Reply: HIrunna's 1990 4runner Build-up thread