86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Brett823's 1986 4Runner Build -up thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brett823's 1986 4Runner Build -up thread

Well after lots of research on these forms i felt like it was time to rebuild the old runner. I have always loved the body style of the 80's 4-runner and finally bought one this summer. It is in great shape, but it is definitely time for a engine rebuild. After reading many threads on here and seeing different ways others have tackled this task, i decided it was go time. I will do my best to do a detailed photo shoot as i got but i am already off to a bad start. Took me awhile to find the camera and started before i found it. I am posting this to hopefully help others like you guys have already done for me, as well as productive input and help and i got. So if you have done this i would love the help. I am new to yotatech and cant wait to be apart of this great community.

Last edited by Brett823; 11-20-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Here are a few of todays pictures.

Intake and throttle body was full of oil. Im hoping this is due to worn out rings.

Last edited by Brett823; 11-20-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 AM

What is the best way to clean this intake manifold? Im trying to keep things cheap but i will probly end up taking it all to a hot tank. Also i was wondering what the average machine shop bill would be on a motor?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Day 2

Well Today we got the motor out finally. Since I am still currently lacking an engine stand, I started cleaning parts the best i can. I have a major oil issue in the intake manifold and am not quite sure to do. Does anyone know how sensitive the fuel injectors are? Been thinking about replacing them. That intake looks very intimidating and not really wanting to take it apart. But anyways here are a few pictures from todays work.

I took a few pics of the runner too.

Does anyone know if this is normal wear on the pressure plate??

Also here is a picture of the throw out bearing. Seems to function fine.

I hope i can find a stand soon or i will just have to buy one i guess.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:45 PM

Ive used an old tire with out the rim if thatd help you
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM

I think im going to go buy a engine stand tomorrow. It will save me a lot of time in the long run i think.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking good! You may want to replace the coolant/heater hoses while you have the engine out? otherwise, it will be a PITA....good preventative maintenence.

For the injectors, you could just get them cleaned - usually $100 or less if you send somewhere like witchhunter.com (lots of guys here have used them and like them).

+1 on the engine stand!

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Well no progress today, but i did drive 130 miles to purchase my very own engine stand and a mini parts washer. So i will be back in action tomorrow.

As for the heater hoses, is there any special place to buy them that are fitted or to you just do it your self??/

And for injectors i decided to buy new ones. Its almost as cheap as witchhunter i believe. Let me know if i am wrong though.

One more thing, does anyone know an average machine shop bill runs??? Trying to guess cost.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Brett - A great source for OEM parts cheaper than dealer is www.toyotapartszone.com. Put in your VIN and go to town. the cool part is, when you're searching, look for the hyperlinks at the top of each page above the listing - click on it, then on the next one, and it takes you to a great diagram with part numbers and how they all fit together. this is where I got those 2 hoses that come out of the valve cover and are specially shaped

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Awesome. This will be very useful... Thank you. Im sure i will be needing many parts by the time this is done.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Haha ok good buy on the engine stand and even more on the parts washer
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like good progress!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Well I just got all the parts of my engine to the machine shop yesterday to be washed and polished. The cylinders looked great and will stay standard size and will just be honed. Just called ted at engbldr and ordered my master rebuild kit with the new cam. I have herd good things about engbldr through this forum and decided to buy through him. Now i wait for parts and machine work. I will post yesterdays pictures later this evening.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM

The final tear down.

Here are some picture from yesterday after i bought a stand. God bless Harbor Freight. Now i wait for parts and machine work.

And the parts pile gets bigger and bigger.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Im about to make my last parts order, and i was wondering if you guys could take a look at my pictures above of my pressure plate and throw out bearing and tell me if that is normal wear. I replaced the clutch in my last toyota and don't remember it being that worn. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM

I can't speak for the clutch question, sorry.

I freaked for a moment because I worried you hadn't broken free the crank pulley bolt before removing the engine....but it appears you got it free already whew!

Good luck - please take lots of photos and document so we can drool. I'm already drooling over your garage and counter space!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Let me tell you that the crank pulley was not easy to remove!!!! major mistake not removing first. Got it broke loose with a little pb blaster and a sturdy 2x4 in the block. Not the bests thing to do but worked out.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Can anyone tell me if there are any major differences in quality of these brands of fuel injectors?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/198..._injector.html
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Back in action!!!

Well after a weeks worth of waiting on parts from the machine shop, i am back in action. So all of today and yesterday i have been cleaning and painting parts. The last of my parts have also came today so i now have everything i need to her back together. After some input, i did decide to send my injectors to witch hunter and that was a great idea!!!! Hey look great. Now that everything is here i can wait to get started tomorrow!! Hey if anyone can give me some input on my pressure plate that would be great.

Here are some pics from the last couple days..

I am from oregon and also a OSU fan. go beavs coloring!

Slowly getting things back together.

Just got the block and head back today.

Excellent job which hunter!!

Tools cleaned and ready to go for assembly.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM

I owe thanks to Philbert for the tip on which hunter by the way. Thanks man you saved me some money!!

Quick Reply: Brett823's 1986 4Runner Build -up thread