86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Beast in the making...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me look around in all my parts piles. I might
Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered one from Ebay, $32 brand new, free shipping.

Im really hoping it helps, i don't have one now.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Wow up close and personal Terry! Truck looks pretty clean. I bet you have 5.29s? How fast you run in 5th? This is a perfect candidate for SAS!!
X2 on the SAS candidate. This is a beautiful truck you have man. And really in my opinion if this was SAS'd and you put a locker in the rear this damn truck would walk up trees.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your spedometer is accurate you most likely have 5.29's. Nice rig. Welcome to the awesome truck club. .

As others have already said, keep on top of overheating. Loads of rant threads about headgasket issues in Toyotas. Overheating is a major cause.

What kind of budget for a locker you thinking? I got a Spartan, cheapish but very happy with it.

If I could afford more at the time I would have gone air though. Mine is a DD and my lumchbox style locker is rough on rubber.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-06-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Speedo is accurate, when speedo says 60 my GPS says 59.

And i was gonna go with a lockright locker. I used that in my Samurai and i thought it was great. Obviously id love to go ARB air locker but i aint got that kinda money :-)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Shroud is in, what a difference in the fan now, it's like a vacuum now. Still bubbling over into the reservoir even at 190-195, not sure whats building up pressure. If i run it with the radiator cap off from a cold start SOMETIMES it will all of the sudden start steaming like crazy for a good minute and then stop. I cannot figure out why its doing that.

On a side note it's been raining like crazy over here and our local mudhole/sandhole is like 2 feet deep in the shallow spots. So I've been having some fun, pics coming soon.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 AM

I love mud bogging.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 AM

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...ps70f5a75d.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6befb177.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...psc26059f3.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...psf472645a.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5bcca83d.jpg

Sorry no action pics, it's hard to do that when im by myself.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 AM

Nice pics, Its always fun to get out and bury the rig in some mud.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awwwww dang!!!! The 5.29 club!!!! Look out!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 AM

I've been so busy guys. Finally got a full time job plus my side business.

I finally got my fan shroud, it was a b%#ch to install but its in. I also removed the electric fan, flushed the system (with Peak coolant flush) and burped the system after filling it with coolant and water. It is doing SO MUCH better with the shroud on, and its not overheating at all now, it does boil over a little bit but not enough to overflow the resovoir like before.

Next thing is exhaust and then on to the acceleration surging!!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope you got all the air outta the cooling system, those engines do not like to get hot. shroud will help alot and the electric fan.

I was going to go with the spartan locker for my runner,
Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 AM

I'm pretty sure i did get all air out because the gauge doesn't jump up real high upon takeoff like it did.

Are you putting locker in front or rear or both?

Are Spartan lockers any good, don't know much about em? I've only every used a Lockright locker on my Samurai.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 AM

Good news on the cooling system.

Spartan lockers work great and won't break the bank to purchase.

I know he has one in the front so I'm assuming he's talking about putting another one in the rear
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Hey all.

It's been a while since i checked in, ive been extremely busy.

I was on a project at The University of Florida (where the Gators play), and was working 7 12's (7 days a week 12 hour days) and i live a lil over an hour from UF, for 3 weeks. Now im working on a CVS doing a remodel 4 miles from my house, it was overnight hours until a couple days ago. So I've pretty much been a zombie.....

Anyways, been working on my truck alot. I bought new tires yesterday Cooper Discover STT 35x12.5x15, they are awesome, so smooth and quit on the road and really good grip offroad. The Super Swampers were horrible on road, the PO didnt rotate them enough and one was practictly bald in one spot, my truck shook extremely bad when i drove so im so glad they are gone.

Also i replaced the spark plugs, went with NGK V power, they suck, they were 13/16 nut, which made it impossible to get very tight, and they made my truck run horrible, so i went with what the PO had, he had NGK iridium plugs, but i switched to Denso iridium, they are great.

Another problem i was having was the surging around 2k to 3k rpm, so i took it to my friend who owns his own mechanic shop and he found that the vacuum switching valve had an issue, the harness had been cut and one of the vacuum lines was disconnected, so he fixed those problems for me, also had some battery troubles, replaced the terminals and added an extra ground and she fires right up everytime.

One last thing, yesterday i replaced the outer tie rod ends, plus attempted to replace my brake pads up front, what i found is that one of my calipers froze up, and also the rotor wore down in the back down to the fins, yikes. So now my truck is just sitting until i can afford the new calipers and rotors. So i will basically totally redoing front brakes.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 PM

Was just there on the front brakes! Nice truck man.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Thanks man
Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9839f710.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...ps36f5a585.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...psffaf9e2f.jpg
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM

The brakes are finally done..... I had one hell of a time bleeding them, had to use a small fuel pump that we took out of a boat to blow up the brake line and then suck down to the caliper. And of coarse the lines had a bunch of air in them.

Next is an alignment since i got new tires and tie rod ends i want them to last...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 AM

Got an alignment. Now ive got a gas leak, only when the tank is almost full, i dont have the time to check it out myself so im gonna drop it off at my mechanic buddy's shop and have him check the leak and adjust the valves for me. As long as i don't spend a fortune i will finally be getting my exhaust done.

My surging went away for a while but now it is back, one of the plastic tips coming from the rear Vacuum switch valve broke off so i just glued it back on with some JB weld and stuck the vacuum line back on, we will see how it does, i hate going through a parking lot and having my truck jump like a wild horse, lol, and im sure its effecting the gas mileage.

I did manage to go mudding a couple times with the new tires and also some sand hill climbing on some of the washouts we have around here. Gotta say, i am impressed with how good these tires do off road, especially in mud, they clean out very nice and i love that they are quit and smooth on the paved road...

Quick Reply: Beast in the making...