84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85 Extra Cab Saved from Crusher

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Very good possibility that this is my next project along with the 87 runner. Runner is not as big of a project as it looks like. What I call a field truck is one that has been sitting for a long time. Usually because something is broke. Once it sits the fuel goes bad, brake fluid eats up the master/slave cylinders, tires dry rot, rings can seize to the piston walls, and then the worst is rodents get in and make a home. Doesn't matter if it is Toyota or any other model, if one sits long enough, time is going to break it down.

Here is the truck I am sure I will have next weekend. It is a 76 Super Cab. Being 6 foot tall I like bigger cabs over standard cab. Rear wheel wells will need replaced but so far the truck looks to be in great shape. Been in same family since new. It was parked when gas when high priced.
Name:  20160805_114519_zps9ewcadsd.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  551.8 KB

Interior is nice. It has vinyl seats and rubber floor covering. I like carpet and will insulate the panels. Most don't remember that AC and Cruise Control was an option that we take for granted with newer cars. This one has both. I prefer cloth seats. Not sure if I would stay bench seat or buckets. I actually wanted a green or tan interior. I will repaint the truck to a darker green and might two tone it with a tan color on the exterior.
Name:  20160805_113852_zpsyyt4cag9.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  292.8 KB

This is expected with Field Trucks. I am just hoping the rat did not get all of the wiring chewed up. One thing I do like about domestic trucks is the front end can come off in one piece. This is a two wheel drive truck which I want. With the whole front end off, you can pull the engine and transmission out in one piece and take care of several issues at once without breaking your back. I wont need four wheel drive for what I want to do.
Name:  20160805_114330_zps2yrkfziy.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  368.0 KB
Old 08-09-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Excited to see what you do with the Ford! I had a '76 F100 with the 360, it was a field truck as you call it. It had sat for 12 years, drained the fuel, new fuel filter, plus a normal tune up and battery had it running pretty darn well.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome find. I really like that color, what engine does it have? I think everybody likes a V8... I know I would on the weekends for pulling boats etc
Old 08-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello jakey poo...I am hoping I can get as lucky as you did on yours. I have found several trucks but this is one that is what I had to load as a kid for hauling hay. I remember when they were nearly new. I went and talked to the owner today. I am wondering if he is not wanting to back out on it as it was his dads truck. He is going to see if his mom really wants to sell it. I am sure she is not that attached to it and would like to see it go. I will restore it to new condition. Welcome to Yotatech.

Hello bootscootboogie... It originally had the 460 in it but his dad was an older gentleman and what the owner told me was his dad left it in 2nd gear and did not realize it and running at highway speeds and seized the original motor in it and now it has the 429. The big blocks are not known for getting good gas mileage. I am going to look into seeing what I can do to get the mileage up on it and if there just isn't much that I can do, I am going to be looking into a diesel swap. The reason I want this is because of the color of the interior and exterior. I have passed on a few other trucks already and one is a 4 wheel drive. I don't want 4 wheel drive for what I am wanting this truck for.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I just got back from talking to the owner. I think I will eventually get the truck but it isn't going to be today. I am thinking he is getting cold feet on selling his dads truck. I had the cash ready to go and think that is when he really got to thinking that I was serious on buying it. I do have intentions of restoring it. I told him I will be doing a frame off as I will pull the front clip to remove the motor and pull the bed to access the fuel tanks and with that much off, it wont be much holding the cab on that I will just go ahead and pull it to get the frame cleaned up and painted. I just like mine looking great from one end to the other end.

I could not find any damage caused by the mouse under the hood but that doesn't mean anything. I showed him I have restored truck in worse shape and showed him a couple of builds I have done on here and hoping that since it was his dads truck that would convince him to sell. He says he will get back with me later today or tomorrow. I told him I don't have any intentions of using it for a work truck that would ding it all up, it will have an easier life with me then some other guy out there.

The bad thing is I have found five hundred other projects that I could do. One is a 68 Chevelle which is a car I have always wanted and another is a 50s Ford truck which I like too, but those would just be for shows or something. I don't think setting up a 50s truck would be good for pulling a camper. I have even found plenty of other Super Cabs but really don't want to have to go thru a complete color change. Just waiting on the phone call now.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Yeah!! I got a call from the owner and I will be paying him for it this coming Thursday. I sure hope to get it home Thursday as well. I have access to a car hauler but not sure if it will fit on it. I am just going to rent a U-Haul tow dolly and tow it home that way. I will feel better when it is paid for and in the drive way. First couple of things I am going to do is remove the spark plugs and fill with Marvel Mystery Oil and then start pulling the bed off and getting the fuel tanks cleaned out. There might would be a good chance that I could do a tune up and prime the carburetor and hear it run for a little bit but the gas is bad but the biggest concern is the rings being rusted to the cylinder walls. When getting a field truck, patience is a virtue.

After a week or so of the cylinders soaking, I will run a compression test if the motor turns over and see what numbers I have. If all is well, I will pull the motor and tranny and rebuild it from the heads up, checking that valves and valve seals are good. The valve seals on these old Fords start out as rubber and turn to glass with age and heat. Get all new seals in it and hopefully get it back in the truck and wont have to deal with any leaks. While the transmission is out I will flush the fluid and replace the filter in it as well. After all of that is done, hopefully I will get to try and start it just by priming the carburetor. Will have to get my dads help on the carburetor if it needs rebuilt. That I don't know how to do. Cleaning or replacing the tanks is going to be a while to do.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Terry I've kind of surfed this thread before but it has now gotten a lot more interesting! I just purchased a 85 4runner, there is not much left of the body it has 312,000 miles on the clock!!!! Im thinking the 86 extra cab that I have is going on this frame, the ford looks like a fun build, my dad rebuilt a 79 with the 300 six and granny trans super easy to work on and super fun to drive!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Brandon... How things going for you?. There are quite a bit of differences between the frames and will take some a lot of fabricating. If you are looking for a 4Runner body, I think I know where one is. Guy has two and wants to sell them cheap. One is solid and other is rusted away but is an excellent parts truck. I am looking forward to getting this 76 home and getting started on it. I am not sure if it is going to fit in the shop. It is a boat.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Trying to get this truck home is going to be a chore. Trailer I have access to is not wide enough. I checked into using a U-Haul dolly and it is not wide enough. I will rent a regular car hauler. I figured out now that I want a regular car hauler over the standard tandem axle,16 foot trailer. Part of the deal is to help him pull and install a transmission in a truck. He has a wrecked truck out in the field we are pulling the transmission from.

Is this how you pull a transmission? Rolling it on its side? lol
Name:  20160818_131206_zpszm2vkwcb.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  401.9 KB

If you need a roof for your tractor, you use a Maverick car hood. I got a kick out of it.
Name:  20160818_102358_zpsjl4kv6jj.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  384.8 KB

There is a 66 Mustang that is in the middle of a jungle. I would like to get my hands on it but not at the top of my priority list at the time. I tried to convince Misty that she really needs a Mustang and she could fund it. She is not going for it. I tried.
Name:  20160818_095609_zpslzteojdo.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  370.4 KB
Old 08-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny story, my brother traded and 86 f250 for his 93 Toyota, well, before he traded it I had to help a buddy pull a freshly rebuilt C6 out of an 84 bronco, well, it ididnt have a rearend and the front tires were flat so we hooked the f250 up to the pillar that the bronco top goes onto, right behind the drivers shoulder. put the f250 in 4lo and took my foot off the brake, and that thing pulled it over like it was nothing. that's when I learned what torque means! lol
Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 PM

hey terry that 4runner body is enticing if it had a title but I would have a hard time getting it back home all I have that is road worthy is my new sienna and I sure don't want to haul parts in it!
Old 08-19-2016, 07:00 PM

the ford project will be so easy you can get what ever you want from a catalog! I wish we could do the same for our yota's.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
You are going to keep us up to date on what happens to the Fordota, right? Would like to see it progress.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello bootscootboogie... That tractor in the above picture only has a 25 horsepower Koler motor on it. I was surprised to see just how small of a motor was in it and the work it will do. Torque is a good thing.

Hello dirtdobber... I believe both of the runners have a title. One really is beyond repair as the rust has just eaten it up. It would be great for parts and has plenty of good parts. The other one is in great condition but is faded and I think tranny or engine is bad. I wish I had the time to combine the two and make one but just don't have the time for it and I still have another runner I want to work on eventually.

Hello habanero...Getting this truck is turning out to be a handful. At first the guy did not want to sell it because it was his dads truck and now he or and his mom cant find the title. They did send off for a lost title and says it should be here by the end of this week. As soon as I get the title in my hand, I will buy it. Getting it home looks to be an issue for the next problem. I do not want to pull it home with my 3rd gen with it on a trailer as that is just way over loaded. I will create a build thread in the "Other" builds when I get the title.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hope to have the title soon and if all goes well I hope to have it at my house this Saturday. A friend of mine is going to haul it home if all goes as planned. That is a big IF. As much as I want to pour some fuel into the carb and crank it and see if it runs, it will be a slow process. I will drain the fluids, see if the motor will turn over by hand if it has much resistance I will start soaking the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil to help free the rings. Then I will pull the bed and pull the fuel tanks and either clean or replace them as needed. There will be some things that just have to wait for time to do its thing.

Been trying to get out in the shop and am getting some small things done. It is starting to cool off some but still just humid that I get soaked just being outside. Another month or so will be complaining that it is to cold. One thing I like about the cooler weather is I can get a fire in the shop and it has to be bitter cold for the stove not to keep up. I am thinking I am going to start liking cooler weather better. Trying to get the silver runner wrapped up before I start on the 76. Been spending some time getting shop more organized. Finally got a stereo in the shop that will get reception. A full metal shop makes it hard to get any stations, Jason explained to me how to rig up an antenna that works.

My dad has a garage and just recently built a shop. He is trying to get things moved from one place to the other and I think he just got overwhelmed with a project like that. Mom thanked me, and I asked why. She said when he was at my house recently and I was out in the shop and was cleaning and organizing it, that dad liked how things were turning out. I told him I get out in it before it gets hot and just spend as little as 30 minutes at a time each day. As for any project, it is just a slow steady pace instead of getting it done in one day. Wish it only took a day at times but projects are slow and steady. Guess that was all he needed. He is finally getting some where on his little project. He still would not try doing a major project when it comes to trucks.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:53 PM

well any updates on the ford?
Old 05-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
dirtdobberoffroad:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f188...estore-296600/
Old 09-21-2022, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 toy truck ext cab 22re

hi i have a 85 truck when i bought it the whole wiring hardness from computer to injectors was missing wire plugs i got another one but i can find the connector for the oxygen sensor, do you have picture of the wire coming from the hardness and the color of it. thank you.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by $glopez
hi i have a 85 truck when i bought it the whole wiring hardness from computer to injectors was missing wire plugs i got another one but i can find the connector for the oxygen sensor, do you have picture of the wire coming from the hardness and the color of it. thank you.
You should typically start a new thread or ask in a dead thread that is relevant to your question rather than reviving a dead thread that has nothing to do with your question.
This thread has the ecu pinout. It shows which wire is for the Ox sensor at the connector.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 toy22re

hi i want it to ask you if you have the wiring hardness from the CPU to the intake manifold (to injectors ,Stater, oil sending unit etc and if you do how much will you want for it. thanx