Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

westjohns 82 slow broke build!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
He puts TONS of info....and there is NO REASON you couldn't save time/money, doing 'boxed' ends, rather than that angle... And also no reason you couldn't do 'LONG BED' version of the same thing.... (what's the difference, ....... 12"?)....... Also, you could leave Box Pipe going through and welded into the Side/Horizontal Rails, .... The box pipe would weld in Vertically, and then you could build sides from wood and good stainless T-stainless bars that you could just POP RIGHT IN AND OUT when needed or not, ya know? Even if you just stole a few ideas... I'm telling you, that thing is one of the most solid/tight/best looking beds i've seen out there.

BUT, as I said, with weather being an issue.... back east..... Wooden/Steel Beds can be VERY practical as well... I love XXxtreme's....and it's one he slapped on after removing his one that was falling apart. I'm sure it would cost a bit less, too, ya know?

PS> If you look at the end of spearo's build, there is a discussion about this stuff with a guy trying to figure out how to do his... Why not join in/start a thread of your own on it? WHILE you're at that.... KEEP LOOKING FOR A CLEAN ENOUGH BED for it, stock, ya know?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha well i hate to say this chef, theres a 92 4runner, super clean, a/c works, 3.0 built to the hilt with a 5 spd that just came up for sale in my area so the 82 might be put up for sale (again) in order to fund the maybe new arriveing 4runner, yall prob hate hearing this crap go back and forth hahah! white 4wd 4runner. 3.0 built with intake, exhuast, race clutch, cam, all that, super clean!!!!!! everything works for 2500.... sooo as my mind starts ticking.... yeah.. prob gonna lean on a toyota i can put directly on the road instead of fixing all my problems!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM

Idk if toyotas are different but a standard bed is 6' and a long bed is 8'

And dont always believe what your told. im always skeptical about rigs.
Because my buddies have used liquid glass to "fix" blown head gaskets.
or stop leak to fix a radiator or water pump leak.

But as far as im concerned you have to put work into an old rig.
No matter what condition it looks to be in. and i would prefer a 22r to a 3.0
and a pick-up to a 4runner.

but all of thats just me
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM

well i was skeptical at first too until he popped the hood and showed me a motor recept, and ive got a pickup, i would prefer a 4runner just due to me haveing friends to carry and the ability to throw stuff in the back is nice, also with the girlfriend you can... well you get my drift but thats just me
Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
haha well i hate to say this chef, theres a 92 4runner, super clean, a/c works, 3.0 built to the hilt with a 5 spd that just came up for sale in my area so the 82 might be put up for sale (again) in order to fund the maybe new arriveing 4runner, yall prob hate hearing this crap go back and forth hahah! white 4wd 4runner. 3.0 built with intake, exhuast, race clutch, cam, all that, super clean!!!!!! everything works for 2500.... sooo as my mind starts ticking.... yeah.. prob gonna lean on a toyota i can put directly on the road instead of fixing all my problems!
Hey, it's your cabbage crop, homie! lol... Harvest as you will! hahaha.....

Listen, .... just keep in mind.... ANYTHING you buy will have "The issues of someone else that had never been dealt with".... NEVER know if this thing will blow up in 10 miles...... RESEARCH AND THOROUGHLY inspect it!(Bring a guru with ya if you can, always a good idea)..... But sure, a Hard Core project next to a "built/completed/HOPEFULLY ready to roll for a while" rig is a tempting proposition toward the latter.... 3.0's are a BIT more difficult to work on, should something even as seemingly simple as a knock sensor dilemma arise... you'll learn that for yourself! haha.... But you've GOT TO do what you WANT/feel is the wise decision to do... Heck, even if it's stupid, it's still your choice to make, right? hehehe........ Josh, .......... get what will make YOU happy...... There will always be 'projects'....and don't think this 2nd Gen 4Runner wouldn't be one, EVENTUALLY! lol.... But I get it, no doubt!

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp

but all of thats just me
WUTUP, BONJU?!?! LOL.....

Hope all's been well!

I'M NOTTTTTTT posting this to be a know it all........ But I just wanted to try and clear something up...... From Wiki, ....and I've almost bought 3 different Gens, new, so I contemplated all this when trying to decide on a New 85 4WD EFI.....

Regular Cab Short Bed: 4,435 mm (174.6 in)
Regular Cab Long Bed: 4,729 mm (186.2 in)
Xtracab Long Bed: 4,966 mm (195.5 in)
Xtracab SR5: 4,676 mm (184.1 in)
Reg. Cab 4WD: 4,729 mm (186.2 in)

It's almost exactly a foot longer.... My buddy used to tease me cuz we're both around 6'(5'11").... and I would always be crammed in my 86 with a shell while he had an extra foot, hehehe... he'd stretch out and say, "Ahhhhhhhhh", really loud, then ask, "hey, ..... you're feet cold on that tailgate?"..... lol.... And then the next day, when he'd high center on the Trails in the Sierras.... I'd ask him, "Hey, you're feet cold in that Icy MUD you're wading in cuz of that extra foot????? HEHEHE".... lol.

I also had my blue 83 4WD Long BED SR5... it was 7", almost on the dot........

PS> ..........I posted these just to torture Josh into thinking about it 'JUST enough'.... just to be sure! SHHHH! hehehe.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp

but all of thats just me

pss> HEHE........... I agree on the 22re....... I LOVE how easy they are to work on...... But I'm not sure I'd want one in a 2nd Gen Runner.... But, as you said, You prefer the PU's, .....I can understand that. I'm just always using my 4Runner as a walk through on the trips, etc., and it just fits me better(when I have to choose between the two)..... I MISS having a pick up though, BONJU!

One thing I DO NOT like about the 2nd gens... I JUST LOVE taking my top off in the summer.... I would miss that if I had to choose between 1 or the other..... But I WOULD LOVE to have a 3rd Gen Runner like Scotty's, too! That's my favorite 4door Runner they've ever made!

Hey BONJU..... how about a 2nd Gen with a Diesel.... Like an Imported Surf? Wouldn't that sweeten the deal? (saw one the other day, and a 4WD RHS Driver side VAN, too!)..... SO MANY FUN LOOKING TOYS...... not enough money! hehehe.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Well how bout it! i just assumed it was like full size trucks. Thanks for clearing that up for me! To each his own, the grass is ALWAYS greener lol. wouldnt it be nice to just a a crew cab tacoma?
Yeah, i mean i would probably take a 1st gen runner over most pick-ups.
Ive never had a 3.0 but people are always scaring me away!
I couldnt tell you how many yotas ive seen with a "rebuilt" motor. but if he has receipts more power to ya! i just dont want you to regret getting rid of a 1st gen like i regret getting rid of mine!
There is just something about these early pick-ups!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 AM

yeah guys im not sure, i would really like a first gen for the top off but the 4 door deal just fits me better for trips, friends, it just fits me better, the fact its a 3.ohno scares me but the fact its been rebuilt with a bunch of new stuff puts my mind at ease, i just wish it had headers to get rid of that cross over exhuast.... but well see, im gettin the dogde hopefully sold today and ill see if i wanna do anything with it, the good news is i got the 82 in the shop for frame repairs, should be done within the next week, also getting my new floorboard put in.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM

mark now that you have shown me those pics it was torure enough for me to lock the title up in dads safe haha! i think the yotas gonna stay, its grown on me, went and did some wiring under the hood before it started raining and got my oil psi working, my alt working, and checked to see if my gas guage works which it does, now all i need is rpm, anyone know where thats done at? in the engine pay or under the dash? got the truk out on the road and went for a little drive also, just threw my DDs tag on there (shhhh) haha and man i love the sound of an old 22r running 65 down the highway, also saw another 2wd first gen at the gas station when i pulled in, talked to him for awhile and tried to buy his bed hahah! turns out his was an 82 long bed, 2wd sr5 with sunroof and everything, only 89k org miles, wish i could have got a pic, it was in mint shape, his factory air even worked!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM

a bed has been found!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 PM

SEE? lol..... "And there you have it!"........

PICS, now! LOL.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM

haha i gotta drive a good ways to go get it though, ill try for pics today soon, just finished a bunch of wiring today, god a what a mess, and i still cant seem to get my tach working, does anyone have a wiring diagram on it?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 PM

FSM buddy..... No clue on this end... Haynes might have it too... they have LOTS of wiring Diagrams in the back
Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 AM

alright well heres the dealo, the bed i found is in NC!!! he wants 500$ for it, i feel thats fair bu its 8hr aways, by the time i get home ill have a 1000$ in a bed that still has some rust but is def fixable, im just debateing on building a flatbed for it, an exact copy of toyospearos (or does he have a patient on it? ahahahah!) ill prob do that and at the same shop get the frame fixed, with all this my 3in springs r on order along with some 2in shackles i bought off ebay (well see how they hold up) did my wiring yesturday and soldered most of it and shrink wrapped it, looks alot better, i also plan on getting a TG battery box and an optima red top, ive heard nothing but good things about them, pics later on today for sure!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Man, .... always a CATCH! Grrr! lol.

Keep looking! Heck, are you looking for a motorless or front end totaled rig, for 700$ or something? Couldn't hurt to have LOTS of other parts to snag, right?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM

well mark all the trucks im finding have bed rust, an di mean a lot of it, im not sure what to do about it, im just thimnking flat bed, prob gonna take it to paint next week, all my body works pretty much done minus a rust hole in the passeneger fender, then im gonna have the frame renforced and the floor patched, thats for next week though
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM

well i decieded to pull the valve cover off just for giggles and whatda know! new timing chain guides and prob a new chain! sadly it wasnt a double row like i would have loved the have, also checked 4 of the valves and they were ALL in spec so i just left them, prob gonna decrese the vavle cover and just power wash it, it prob wasnt painted for a reason when it left the factory! also still trying to find why my tach isnt working, still cant hunt that down, also pulled the interior peicses and started cleaning and started cutting the drivers floor out, gonn go to the weld shop tyhen right up the street to paint when my beds off, then back to the weld shop for my flatbed build, luckly my neighbor owns the weld shop so ill get to help build it! gonna do what toyospearo did with the psi inside the bed for sure, i love haveing air, and as far as the toolbox goes ill just buy a flat one to set inside the bed, getting excited about it, hopefully start driveing her as soon as shes done with paint, body and bed, also contacted a member on here about some interior parts, should be getting those with income tax on the 14th! plans r huge this month in my yota world
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM

alright well today a buddy of mine got stuck... and me being fearless took the yota to recover him! and boy what a lovely time we had, unloaded the truck (no tag, has to be trailered) and whala! the tach works! worked the whole time the truck was out, went tot the back of our trail to find a 94 z71 sunk up to the wheel wells... snached him out no prob, then did dougnuts we he got stuck and rutted the piss outta were he satm then used 4lo to pull me right out, comeing out of the trail truck started running rough, managed to make it out but it barely runs right now, any ideas? no vac leaks, and then my tach stopped working, prob gonna do wires, plugs, cap and rotor payday, didnt do it with my tune up, any ideas guys im clueless on this one plus my tach stopped working.......
Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Sounds like a short somewhere for the tach.
And it sounds like you have have sucked up water or mud?
Clean the carb real well, make sure to get the jets.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 PM

+1

Check you air filter, carb..

Quick Reply: westjohns 82 slow broke build!