Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?

The front runner for a while here were the [Bridgestone] Revos. Now, it seems the [Nitto] Terra Grapplers are the top pick. Where do the BFG All-Terrains fall on everyones' list? Is their relatively higher price the reason, or are the Terra Grapplers (to use the most recent example) that much of a better tire?

Brian
Old 02-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Banned

I ran all three

regarding price/benefit---> the best tire is the Nitto TerraGrappler
regarding performance---> The Nitto can perform just as well if not better than the BFG AT and the REVO

for 109/tire, the Nitto cannot be beaten. I believe its a stronger tire than the BFG and the REVO.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not run or been with anyone running the nitto's, but, as far as the BFG AT's go, they are a far superior off road tire compared to the revo's, the revo's are better on the street though.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 AM

They are a fantastic tire, most opinions are just that, opinions.

Have you herd the saying about buttholes and opinions?

Buy what you want, everyone says THEY have the best tires.

Lamm
Old 02-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
They are a fantastic tire, most opinions are just that, opinions.

Have you herd the saying about buttholes and opinions?

Buy what you want, everyone says THEY have the best tires.

Lamm
that is true, thats why I decided to keep the nittos.

I went through the Michelin LTX M/S, REVOS, BFG AT's, BFG MT's and the Nittos

Try them all out if you really want to see which one you like best.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think my kumho AT's are a great AT tire.

i really like the continous center rib which leads to high load range and smooth quiet tire, combined with wider lugs at the edges (when aired down) off road lead to better than avg AT offroad performance.

the nittro's just dont seem to have the tred spaceing to excell off road.

the revo's look like they would do better off road than the nittro's

and would probibly be on par with the kumho's i run (on the street)

BFG AT's are the old stand by but are just more expensive in the long run
Old 02-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

not to rag on you snap-on, I dont think simply looking at the tread pattern will tell you how well they do.

I guess, it all depends on what you are doing with the tires.

I know that the nitto is a 10-ply tire and is very strong.

Trying not to be as biased as possible, I do think the Nitto is the best tire.

My perspective comes from price/output
Old 02-14-2006, 11:40 AM

I've had the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. On-road performance, the Nittos are far more smoother. I'll find-out how well they perform offroad this weekend.

The price, and forum members reviews was basically the selling point for me on the Nittos.

Like I've mentioned before, I don't think I'd go back to Bridgestones again, nor would even consider trying BFG's. They're overpriced! Just can't go wrong with the Nittos.

Try a set, and find out for yourself.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:41 AM

in regards to 31x10.5-15's the Revos are around $138 per tire, while the BFG AT's are around $117 per tire. The last set of BFG AT's I had were still holding strong at 40k miles, looked like new, I sold them to my brother, who is still running them and they still have amazing tread left. As far as an AT can go in off road performance, the BFG is the best IMO and it wears great.

Really, ignore most everyones advice and take the tire you like the best, there are so many differing views that that is what you are going to do anyway.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Really, ignore most everyones advice and take the tire you like the best, there are so many differing views that that is what you are going to do anyway.
I agree. If you have the means, try the tires you think are the best, and choose from there.

If off-road performance is extremely important to you, just go with a set of MTs for wheeling and a set of ATs for onroad
Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when i get my new tires put on(i think a generic cooper brand, "savero A/T"), the guy at the tire shop actually steered me away from the BFGs, being that's what i actually wanted to begin with. he said they hydroplane like crazy.

so far with my cheap tires, they're a fairly agressive yet quiet, they're wearing like iron -- 3 months old and i can still see the mold flashing on the center of the tread, and no matter how hard i try, i can't break them loose on wet pavement.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:53 PM

I used to run BFG ATs. I had them for at least 5 years, but I don't think I would get them again because they tended to hydroplane whenever hitting standing water on the road. There are no grooves on the circumference to expel water.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Since opinions have been asked for...
I have had 3 sets of BFG AT's and really liked them. Only complaint I have on them is that they spit rocks everywhere which was like sand blasting the frame and rock rails of the my Taco and Runnerduring the high speed desert stuff. Off roading with these tires is outstanding in the dry climates of south west. On roads they are decent also. Never rains in SoCal so I have no idea how they are in standing water. Easily balanced and fairly quiet on the pavement and have been averaging about 45,000 miles out of a set without running them to the wear indicators.

Do not know a lot about the Nittos but was really shocked to finally see a set of Revo's. The tread on those looks very street tire-ish. I am suprised so many people like them.

I think it comes down to what is on sale when you need tires. Not totally dependant on price but it makes a big differance when shopping.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

revos suck in the snow... see my previos paragon thread on them.. but theyre great on the road
Old 02-14-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
they tended to hydroplane whenever hitting standing water on the road. There are no grooves on the circumference to expel water.
Sounds like the O.E. replacement tires I have on the LC right now. Continental SUV Contitracs. Wen't on a road trip a day after Christmas up to Northern CA. It was pouring mad on the way back. We were cruising about 60-70mph on the freeway coming back. Every once in a while, we'd hit a puddle normally gathered HOV lane. I could feel the LC just glide half a lane over. I figured I had full-time 4wd drive, so I wasn't hesitant to go that fast in the pouring rain. Can't wait for the wife to give the go ahead to get a new set of Nittos on the LC.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Localmotion

I know that the nitto is a 10-ply tire and is very strong.
I just read the big tire article in 4WHEELER and on the Nitto's it says that they have a 2 play sidewall, were as bfg have 3. What do u mean 10 ply, do u mean 10 tread plys???? With 1 more ply the bfg's should have a stronger sidewall which is reassuring offroad.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PO2SIMS
I just read the big tire article in 4WHEELER and on the Nitto's it says that they have a 2 play sidewall, were as bfg have 3. What do u mean 10 ply, do u mean 10 tread plys???? With 1 more ply the bfg's should have a stronger sidewall which is reassuring offroad.
i think they have a 10 treadply..LOL. The MTR is 12?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
I ran all three

regarding price/benefit---> the best tire is the Nitto TerraGrappler
regarding performance---> The Nitto can perform just as well if not better than the BFG AT and the REVO

for 109/tire, the Nitto cannot be beaten. I believe its a stronger tire than the BFG and the REVO.

From I read on Nitto web site, the side walll don't see to be as strong. There is a reason why at lot dezert prerunner run bfg ATs.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:02 AM

I keep hearing this hydroplaning comment, every thread about tires someone mentions it. I had a set that I ran on my taco for 40k miles, it did 50 miles of highway everyday regardless of weather, frequently at 80+ mph and I never once hydroplaned...maybe I got a special batch, I just don't know what the problem is...
As for sidewall, I had the set of BFG's on my tacoma, now I have a set on my 4runner that is holding me over until I lift it and buy swampers, never to return to the world of AT's again, haha, I wheeled both vehicles, I have never had any sidewall issues. I put a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX's on my tacoma and within a couple months had ripped two sidewalls...I am not pleased with them at all. But the BFG's never gave me a problem. The only thing I can think of that was wrong with them was what someone mentinoned earlier, they do have a tendency to pick up rocks and throw them. Otherwise, I picked up a nail in one once...that was it.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:16 AM

BFG's have a stronger sidewall than the Nittos. the Nittos are STREET tires. It all depends what you want the tire for, sure the nittos will be alot better around town and wear better, but the BFGs will get much better traction off road.

Alot of people have switched from BFG Muds/ATs to the Goodyear MTRs because of its performance and decent street manners. Realistically, the MTR is really an aggressive all terrain and NOT a MUD tire at all, nor was it designed really designed to be used in mud.

I've always had good luck with BFG ATs and MTs for all around use, however there are always better tires for certain situations.

Quick Reply: Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?