Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Well, can't get the Toyo M/T......

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, can't get the Toyo M/T......

So, can't get the Toyo M/Ts, they're on national backorder, till April or longer. Anyway, I got to find something else. I was looking at the Hankook RT03 M/T, the Firestone Destination M/T, BFG KM2, and Mickey Thompson
Baja MTZ. So what is Y'ALLs thoughts.

Last edited by Blue Bowtie; 01-08-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

I've had the Firestone's, I would go with the KM2's
Old 01-08-2010, 02:39 PM

Any reason?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

The Firestone's didn't have the best traction in the rain, or in rocks and, in my opinion, don't have a very aggressive look for a mud tire. I would have bought the KM2's when I last purchased tires, but they were on national back order.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Go with the Hankook's. I have their A/T's and they rule other tires, with the violence! After I get the lift I am going to give the ATM's to my old man and get the MT's. I've read that the MT's do great in the snow and rain.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ever look at the cooper STT MT? looks exactly like a toyo mt..my boss had some on his superduty and they lasted 65K towin trailers n bs also were E rated too
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM

Did I mention Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
Did I mention Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.
Yes, but no reasoning why he should get them...
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Awesome aggressive tread,severe duty winter tire.Sidewall tread protection,A/T,quiet on pavement.Rated better traction than a mud and snow tire.Superb traction in all applications.But what do I know.Ive only read about them and drooled on them a few times at the local tire shop.Cant afford them,jacka** wants 200 per tire.

Last edited by Matt90V6SR5; 01-08-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by yoterr
ever look at the cooper STT MT? looks exactly like a toyo mt..my boss had some on his superduty and they lasted 65K towin trailers n bs also were E rated too
Ya I looked at those, but the several dealers that I've talked to said they take a bunch of weight to balance and handle terribly.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 AM

OK, lets go thru this again.
First off, it's generally agreed that 90% of the tire dealers don't know about what you want for tires. YOU HAVE to do a little research, decide what you want and shop around. Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances listen to what a tire dealer has to say about a tire.

My most recent example, I wanted another set of Interco Truxus MT's for my gold 4Runner. I've already got a set on my ZR2 and love them, wanted another set, the exact same size.
Well, I don't want to type out all the conversations but I called 5 tire shops who can order from Interco and only one didn't try to sell me another tire.
Now, listen to this.. I had several guys tell me I DIDN'T WANT that tire, because it suked, was heavy, and wouldn't balance. They said everything they could think of to get me to buy something they had in the store. Man.

At any rate, I got my Truxus and of course, they are a great tire for my purposes and there were no issues with balancing.

I should also ask, in this economy, why in the "world" are you guys buy foreign made tires??? It's hard enough as it is to avoid crap from China, Taiwan, Malaysia, ect., when you have a chance to buy a good product from your fellow countryman, you elect to buy from China?
I'd like to hear the logic behind that. I apologize if I sound pissy about it, but it irks me to no end.
Like many cars, some tires are made locally but still much of the money goes to China since that's who OWNs the factory\tire, but that's not an excuse, considering the available US options and the state of the economy.

So, anyway I like the Truxus MT for foul weather\moderate offroad use. It's a radial tires, balances perfectly (tho obviously with more weight than a lighter, less aggressive tire) is really, really good in snow, OK in rain and great off road. I got mine shipped to my door, 31.x10.5x15 for $148 per.
It's a tad squirmy at 70 on the freeway, but no problem and maybe quieter than BFG\GY MT's (which actually, GY doesn't have an Mud terrain, theirs is a "maximum traction" rating).
Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 AM

After reading reviews, I'm starting to lean to towards the Destination M/Ts, they seem to have good treadlife, good handling even in wet conditions, and look good too. Still looking at the hankook m/t though.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love my km2's they have got me through everything i have encounted.....so far
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 AM

well ill tell you I dont care for the hankook i work for a tire center and we can any toyo m/t's here in the Nw of course my company does sell 33% of toyos sales i run toyos excellent tire. also i would reccomend a maxxis bighorn their an awesome tire what im gunna put on my yota to tell the truth inexpensive good mileage and awesome in the mud snow rain ice.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dingman
OK, lets go thru this again.
First off, it's generally agreed that 90% of the tire dealers don't know about what you want for tires. YOU HAVE to do a little research, decide what you want and shop around. Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances listen to what a tire dealer has to say about a tire.

My most recent example, I wanted another set of Interco Truxus MT's for my gold 4Runner. I've already got a set on my ZR2 and love them, wanted another set, the exact same size.
Well, I don't want to type out all the conversations but I called 5 tire shops who can order from Interco and only one didn't try to sell me another tire.
Now, listen to this.. I had several guys tell me I DIDN'T WANT that tire, because it suked, was heavy, and wouldn't balance. They said everything they could think of to get me to buy something they had in the store. Man.

At any rate, I got my Truxus and of course, they are a great tire for my purposes and there were no issues with balancing.

I should also ask, in this economy, why in the "world" are you guys buy foreign made tires??? It's hard enough as it is to avoid crap from China, Taiwan, Malaysia, ect., when you have a chance to buy a good product from your fellow countryman, you elect to buy from China?
I'd like to hear the logic behind that. I apologize if I sound pissy about it, but it irks me to no end.
Like many cars, some tires are made locally but still much of the money goes to China since that's who OWNs the factory\tire, but that's not an excuse, considering the available US options and the state of the economy.

So, anyway I like the Truxus MT for foul weather\moderate offroad use. It's a radial tires, balances perfectly (tho obviously with more weight than a lighter, less aggressive tire) is really, really good in snow, OK in rain and great off road. I got mine shipped to my door, 31.x10.5x15 for $148 per.
It's a tad squirmy at 70 on the freeway, but no problem and maybe quieter than BFG\GY MT's (which actually, GY doesn't have an Mud terrain, theirs is a "maximum traction" rating).
most tires are actully not made in america to be honest the last company to be americna made was dean cooper and most of their tires are actually made in mexico toyo m/ts are mostly made in the states though and toyo actually moved all their manufatucres out of china because of the tariff tax and to benefit its suppliers to keep the cost down. just thought i input on that.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:12 AM

MTZ'S. best performing and best looking tire out there imo
Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 PM

mtz's don't last worth a poop. my $0.02
Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by VANCE164
most tires are actully not made in america to be honest the last company to be americna made was dean cooper and most of their tires are actually made in mexico toyo m/ts are mostly made in the states though and toyo actually moved all their manufatucres out of china because of the tariff tax and to benefit its suppliers to keep the cost down. just thought i input on that.
That's good info, thanks.

BTW, I just found this on Pirate.com

I have talked to Interco lately and was told by a rep that they use an old farm house as there office. Its were they have always been. There tires are american made except the LTB like stated above and thats just for cost reasons. The fellow I was talking to said that the guy that started it all was just right down the hall from him. Its still a very family owned business. They have always helped me anyway I asked and I have never had to press one for english when I call them. There based in Lousianna but, the tires are made in Ohio. I think there as close to american made as you can possibly get this day and age for a big company. They take pride in keeping it in america. In my opinion they are the king of offroad tires. At least on the East coast rock hopping terrain.

Quick Reply: Well, can't get the Toyo M/T......