Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Tire prices - confused a little

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire prices - confused a little

Okay, I've been some research on tire prices for my new 4runner 265/75/16 and 285/65/16 and I'm little confused on the prices. Between Big-O and Discount tire depending on the store 265's cost more than 285's. I would've assumed that since 285's are a bigger tire then they would cost more all around but it doesn't seem to be that way. Anyone else seen anything like that before?

Tirerack is cheaper than both places. Anyone have luck with ordering though them and then having them installed by one of the above mentioned places (probable need to search, huh)
Old 09-21-2008, 09:31 PM

first things first... More common sizes sometimes mean higher prices.

If you buy online, be ready to pay big to have them installed. Plus, if you have a warranty issue, you have to pay to have the tire dismounted and shipped back...

Take my advice and just buy from the tire shop, it will save you time, money and headaches. I will recommend Discount Tire, make them your last stop and they will beat any price you have gotten thus far. (yes I work for Discount Tire Co)

Remember when you compare prices from online to the stores, you have to include shipping and mounting at their preferred dealer.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
When I was looking for my KM2's I expected prices to go up according to size, but was wrong. There are other factors such as popularity, production numbers and rim size that can and do change the price.

Discount tire will beat pricing from anyone. 4WP usually will price low being an online store, but offer "free shipping" if you pick the tires up. Just shop around for the best price and take that price to Discount.

Be careful though. When I got my KM2's, Discount was happy to beat the competitors prices up front. They gave me a total quote... but when I came to pick them up they tried to tack on $250 for special order shipping. I said no way and they ate the $250 but it was a pain to deal with. That might not always be the case, so be very specific with them when you get the price quote so there are no surprises at time of install.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 PM

DIDDO about what has been said already.

I will only buy tires from Discount/ America's Tire store because they do beat everyone else's prices and when you have a warranty issue there are more locations to work with, especially if you're in BFE and you get a blow out, etc. Don't buy online, unless you get a sweet deal on shipping and mounting.
If you do decide to go with Discount purchase the "certifications" for your tires as road hazard coverage. They replace instead pro-rate tires when they can't fix em. No, I don't work for Discount. I've just had good luck and service there. Be cool with the guys working in there, 9 times out of 10 you'll be helped by a dude that's cool and he'll try to hook you up the best he can. Sometimes you'll get a douche like, Elvota had and then you just have to explain to him that he's a douche and he'll quickly recognize his douchness and then everythings cool again.

There's my 2 cents.
Good luck.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by P-Lo
Sometimes you'll get a douche like Elvota had and then you just have to explain to him that he's a douche and he'll quickly recognize his douchness and then everything's cool again.
Uhm, yeah.... exactly.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 PM

the local america's tire co. i dislike the sales rep.

hes one of those douches you speak of. he is completely againts mt's.

i tell him i want a mt, either bfg or trxus. and he then tries to sell me bfg at's, and explains to me that with mt's the wear is less, braking is less, noise is more, etc.. like i didn't know this. (i do a ton of research before making a purchase) No thanks, left, went to autozone and was talking with a kid that worked there and behold i got 4 33's trxus mt's for $600. instead of $800 for just the tires like at america's.

Last edited by 904_runner; 09-21-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 PM

I'm telling you, sometimes you get some dude that thinks HE knows what you want but he doesn't have a clue. In that case you did the right thing, or just help him recognize his doucheness and get the tires all of of say are the best here on Yotatech I now only talk with 2 guys at my local Discount tire because they have more than a half a brain.

In answer to the original thread starter...shop online (tirerack.com, National, Pepboys, etc.) and bring the best price you find into Discount and they'll beat it.

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 PM

X2!

i got lucky and the autozone price matched from an old 2006 summit catalog they had in store.

Super happy i went with the mt's!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wormhole
Okay, I've been some research on tire prices for my new 4runner 265/75/16 and 285/65/16 and I'm little confused on the prices. Between Big-O and Discount tire depending on the store 265's cost more than 285's. I would've assumed that since 285's are a bigger tire then they would cost more all around but it doesn't seem to be that way. Anyone else seen anything like that before?

Tirerack is cheaper than both places. Anyone have luck with ordering though them and then having them installed by one of the above mentioned places (probable need to search, huh)
I've bought a couple of sets of tires from Tirerack.com. No problems so far. It cost me approx $50 to get them installed locally, so don't forget to add that in the price when you're comparing to buying the tires locally.

As for the price, it depends what you mean by bigger. Yeah, the 285's are a wider tire, but they're not bigger. 265/75/16 is 31.65" in diameter, and the 285/65/16 is only 30.59" in diameter.