Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Tire Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Help Please

So the Toyota I've had for a while came with 31 10.50 15's on it. Its time for new ones. My truck gets the terrible shakes over 30. I've had the entire front end aligned and rebuilt. Previously I had terrible wear on my front passenger side. Therefore I wanted to fix everything before wearing out a new set of tires.
As show in the picture the 31's rub like a mofo, however when I look up the stock tire size for this truck this is what I keep getting.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Select...5&autoModClar=

My tires rub when I go over speed bumps for christ sake. I don't want to add a lift because she's my daily driver too. My fuel economy sucks and I can't stand driving the truck over 40 miles an hour because of the shimmies.
I paid a guy to do an alignment after rebuilding the front end, tie rods, brakes, rotors etc. It did help about 60%. But to keep the truck straight I have to hold the wheel in this direction at high speeds on straight roads to make her track straight.

My question is what is the tallest tire I can put on without rubbing all day every day. I like the width of these tires but I'm sure poking out an inch from the wheel wells isn't helping my gas mileage. Although I do like the way it looks.
Any thoughts or ideas are very appreciated in advance.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Original wheels? Do you have the correct wheel backspacing? If it's wroing, that would make a 31" tire rub...
Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Not the original wheels TNRabbit, some cheapo " American Rusting" wheels. I don't know how to tell what size they are. I know they don't have extra spacers on them to make them appear wider.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're probably just 3.5" backspace, that can make a 31" rub. Mine did when I first got the rig, I went to some deeper backspacing and a narrower wheel(I think the old one's might've been 9" or 10" wide, too) and haven't had a rubbing problem since. If you don't wanna change wheels, or don't have the money, then maybe some 30x9.5's will do the trick. Maybe not if your wheels are 9 or 10" wide. Basically, we need more info about your wheels to tell you what will fit and not rub.
-Jonny
Old 06-04-2009, 06:23 PM

i dont get it , my 87 has 15x7 toyota rims and 31-10.50 on it and no rubbing not even close, and for the vibration maybe the rims arent true,
Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Ihave a question i went to the tire rack web site and it said i could put 16" rims on my truck?? it even listed a 18" ????? this cant be true
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jacumja
Are you sure the frame or front suspension isn't tweaked?
Originally Posted by Just Learning
Ihave a question i went to the tire rack web site and it said i could put 16" rims on my truck?? it even listed a 18" ????? this cant be true
Why COULDN'T you put 16" rims on it? Ever see ricers/gangsta cars with the 22" rims?...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, the rubbing problem is from the offset/backspacing. It sounds like you're not sold on the rims you got, so check out the classified and craigslist for a set of wheels/tires.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 PM

i'm no expert but it looks like proper backspacing on the rims is only going to move the tire in or out, right (side to side)? it looks like these tires need to move forward (or backward, i can't really tell which from the pics). different backspacing is going to move that bolt that's hitting the tire into the middle of the tire more, isn't it?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 PM

its just plastic... do you own a pocket knife?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
X2 o n investing in a set of EOM 15x7 rims. Will get you the proper backspacing and they will also run truer and smoother since they are built to be centered by the lug bolts. Might be the wheels you have will not balance properly with a lug centered balancing machine, they have likely been hub center balanced.
- http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibration.htm

Also consider a 4-wheel alignment, might help identify if there is any different in front-back wheel base on either side.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by spoonist
i'm no expert but it looks like proper backspacing on the rims is only going to move the tire in or out, right (side to side)? it looks like these tires need to move forward (or backward, i can't really tell which from the pics). different backspacing is going to move that bolt that's hitting the tire into the middle of the tire more, isn't it?

When you move the tire out, you make the swinging arc larger, thus hitting exactly as his pic shows.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
When you move the tire out, you make the swinging arc larger, thus hitting exactly as his pic shows.
Exactly.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
So to thread jack - my '93 4Runner has aftermarket rims that are 15x8 with +6 offset. Is it likely that 31/10.5/15's will rub like jacumja's? I'm looking for tires and don't want to cause a problem - I'm running 235/75/15's right now.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Birchyboy
So to thread jack - my '93 4Runner has aftermarket rims that are 15x8 with +6 offset. Is it likely that 31/10.5/15's will rub like jacumja's? I'm looking for tires and don't want to cause a problem - I'm running 235/75/15's right now.
Measure and see:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Man I love common sense. Can you sell me some?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
31's shouldn't rub...I don't know if coming from the factory makes a difference or not. Mine had factory 31's (95 4runner) and not a chance of them rubbing. In fact I'm picking up some 33X12.5 tonight, mounting them Monday.

Bad tires will cause the steering to be off, shimmies and shakes as well. The can also cause the vehicle to pull one way or the other as well, can throw off breaking too. Bad tires will really mess up your ride.

Here is a great thread on this...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-guide-155339/
Old 06-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Alright guys, I took a picture of the left and ride side rack and pinion area. Like I said I had it all rebuilt. I'll be the first to admit the rims are rusted, dented and beat all to hell. I want them gone also. I also took a pic from level. Looking at this you can obviously see the tire and rim are at least an inch farther back that dead center in the wheel well. I'm guessing this is why it rubs in the back of the well. Also looking at the size of the tire in that well there is no reason it should scrub like it does. I've seen stock wranglers with 33's and no lift not rub.
I'm guessing I need to just scrap the tires and rims and start fresh since the front ends been rebuilt, just seems logical. My front hubs are rusted to hell. These were the rims with the big center cap on them so the hubs got wet and sat in a cold, damp enclosed area which equals rust.
Also I measured my rim the best I could which is pretty hard to do. It looks to be an 8.5 maybe a 9. The only true way I know to measure a rim is to yank the tire off and do it, I don't have the tools laying around for that.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Let me be clear they don't rub on the top of the wheel well like a tire that is too tall would. They rub in the back, when I turn the wheel too far either forward or in reverse. Especially if I crank the wheel backing in.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:41 PM

hey man before you spend big money on the rim and tires take it to a body shop and get the frame checked. It's less than $100 to put it on the machine to check it out. This just seems messed up.

Quick Reply: Tire Help Please