Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

AT Tire Confusion 3rd Gen 17" Tundra Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 1" between UCA and tire right now, 265/70-17s.

Previous owner told me lift was set at 2" to 2.5" doesnt look as high as yours. Has Racerunner coilovers in front and OME springs in back. I couldnt walk back further into the busy street at rush hour to get a better side pic, but I have room under the wheelwells.

Tires are right at the fender lip right now, I do not have flares like you guys. I wouldnt mind them sticking out a half inch more or so if thats what the new tires do. Is 1" cutting it close with UCA? Not sure how much wider the 275s will be, and what happens when wheeling and turning wheel if that clearance gets tighter.
Attached Thumbnails AT Tire Confusion 3rd Gen 17" Tundra Rims-4runnerside.jpg   AT Tire Confusion 3rd Gen 17" Tundra Rims-4runneruca.jpg   AT Tire Confusion 3rd Gen 17" Tundra Rims-4runnerwheels.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluecollarjock
I have 33s on an 05 Rubicon and regeared to 4.88 and still feels gutless to me ha. The 4runner is a 5 speed and previous owner said it had rare 4:30 (usually come in autos) with the rear locker. Its not horrific, but its not ballsy by any means. Id kill for a supercharger! hah
The manual trans makes a big difference, I drove several auto 3rd gens and was not happy with the performance. The SC combined with the manual trans is a nice combo and I'm not afraid to tow heavy loads over any grade.

You got me thinking, maybe I should do the wheel spacers for reasons you mentioned. If so then should I just go with the 285s?
A 285 is 20mm wider than a 265 (by technical specs, at least). 20/25.4mm is about 3/4" wider tire. Figure half of that is added to the inside and outside. Then factor in tire flex around curves or when aired down...it might work, it might not.

I'm liking your front bumper! Shrockworks?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Yup, Shrockworks used.... $800! Well, I guilt tripped when the guy asked for $100 gas money, said I didnt have to pay but would I, and I forked over the $100. He was a super nice guy, happened to be trading his 4runner for a big Dodge truck in the town next to mine (he lives a few hours away). So when he was trading his 4runner I came, he took my stock bumper put it on the 4runner he was selling, and he and the other guy installed the Shrockworks on mine....So $900 installed cant complain. What does it take normally 4-5 weeks to get one and $1200?

I am going to order Savage sliders, skids, and maybe rear bumper soon. Down here all I know people do is wheel with rocks....Savage stuff is affordable...

Ok, here is the good news! Two emails from Cooper this morning....

"In looking into your question, Cooper does have product in this line and looking further into the Rancho Cucamonga warehouse they are good. "

and

"Thank you for your interest in Cooper Tires. We are sorry you are getting so many conflicting answers. The Discoverer S/T LT275/70R17 load range C is available in both of our warehouses on the West Coast. It is possible they were not available at the time you were requesting them. If you would place an order today they would be able to get them for you. They are not discontinued or in the process of being discontinued.

The item number is 9-3086. "

So, the question is, why cant we get these tires?!?!?!? haha....but thats good news...I think I will do 2755/70 with Cooper....if they do not rub good, if they are super close or I would like the look of the tires out further, Ill go with Spidertrax (have them on Jeep since I kept stock Rubicon rims which people compliment on all the time, lifted Jeeps all over LA and mine is minor lifted with stock rims and folks dig it). If I remember Spidertrax are like $150 per pair.....so if I can go without them, thats sliders from Savage!

I am also tempted for trying a light bar from http://lifetimeledlights.3dcartstore...ights_c_8.html. Dirt cheap American made with warranty.

Yea the only thing I ever drove in my life was stick shift V8s....but when I lived in DC I switched to auto traffic is HELL around the beltway....now in LA same thing, Jeep is auto, found the 5 speed 4runner already lifted with rear locker could not pass it up as my "commuter" haha
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 AM

Oh quick note, you know why I wanted a front bumper? I love steel bumpers look and function....but in my Jeep some Lexus slammed breaks on in an intersection for no reason, I locked up my Jeep skidding pitching it partially sideways like the Dukes, the guy just needed to move a foot up and I would have been able to clear him....well smack....demolished the Lexus, I mean totalled it.....Jeep nothing, Hanson winch bumper had a paint mark on it from his trunk....stock bumper would have folded and made my life hell

Good thing was, the guy pulled into a parking lot, asked me for cash to fix it..I said sorry here is my insurance, I never had an accident in my life and thats why I pay for insurance...he got all like hmmm I dont want to call insurance, why wont I give him cash? I said hey man lets call the cops, this is weird why did you lock it up in an intersection that wasnt even a red light? Some weird story oh my brother got hit last week Im nervous...then when I told him I was a retired cop and would feel better if we called the cops he said nah thats fine give me your cell I am in a hurry need to go, jumped in his demolished Lexus and left. Or was it his?? hahah

Never called me....but hey stock bumpers will fold in an accident, I have seen it tons of times as a cop...get a good steel bumper for safety
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 AM

You are close to convincing me to get wheel spacers regardless of tire size...

at full lock I am close with 265s, level ground, full air pressure....

Is there a common size or part # spidertrax has for Tacoma and 4runner users doing what we are?
Attached Thumbnails AT Tire Confusion 3rd Gen 17" Tundra Rims-fullockuca.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by bluecollarjock
You are close to convincing me to get wheel spacers regardless of tire size...

at full lock I am close with 265s, level ground, full air pressure....

Is there a common size or part # spidertrax has for Tacoma and 4runner users doing what we are?
Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation. Most everyone uses the 1.25" and the 6 on 5.5" lug pattern. I need to find some time to start refinishing my Tundra/Sequoia wheels and get moving on some new tires.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 AM

Any updates on your tire search?