Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

for the people with these, please let me know how many miles are ya getting out of them ? im about due for some new shoes, and really want to try them.
thankx.
Ric
Old 12-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

they get loud after 12k miles .. and they have about 18-20k miles of good use on them
Old 12-05-2004, 07:58 PM

I got well over 35k out of my MT\R's
Old 12-05-2004, 08:02 PM

I have had mine on for 4k miles and they are definitely getting louder. I hope I can get at least 35k out of these. If I were you, I'd get the Firestone Destination MT's. They're a heck of a lot cheaper and last just as long. They're incredible offroad too and pretty sweet looking.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

i got 30k from my last set.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, for those of you that say "they get loud after _________ miles", that's because you're not rotating them properly. You MUST CROSS-ROTATE them at a max of every 5k miles. This will prevent directional wear that will increase noise.

Brian put about 13k or 14k on the set that I have now. I've put about 6k on them and there's been no change in tread depth since I got them. So, with almost 20k miles, they still have 1/2" of tread remaining. I'll probally put another 8k-10k on them, then sell them for some 305/70's.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
FYI, for those of you that say "they get loud after _________ miles", that's because you're not rotating them properly. You MUST CROSS-ROTATE them at a max of every 5k miles. This will prevent directional wear that will increase noise.

Brian put about 13k or 14k on the set that I have now. I've put about 6k on them and there's been no change in tread depth since I got them. So, with almost 20k miles, they still have 1/2" of tread remaining. I'll probally put another 8k-10k on them, then sell them for some 305/70's.

they were cross rotated and balanced every 5-6K miles, and yes being as anal as the next guy here, I watched the guy as he did it. The tread depth is still decent at 15-20k miles ... but compared to when they were new, there is a lot more road noise.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:24 AM

I have 35k on mine and about another 10k left in them. This is with steady wheeling and road time across the southwest and Wisconsin.

I rotated them and they are loud, no BS.

I would advise a more mild tire.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:56 AM

MT/R reveiw

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...6&page=1&pp=25
Old 12-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Banned

Well, mine started to get really loud after the first 3k or so on my runner. I cross rotated them, and after a few hundred miles, the noise went back down.

They're noisy, but not too bad IMO.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

thankx for all the replies, ill look at the Firestone Destination MT's, keep the replies coming.
Ric
Old 12-06-2004, 07:48 AM

I got a set of Goodyear AT/S for free. (Brand New) I really like them, they are noisier than the Michelins that were on there but they provide a nice balance of Off road capability and good road manners.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:29 PM

I too am about to buy new tires. My husband has pointed me towards the MT/R's so I've spent some time online doing research trying to see what tire I think is good for me. I now have BFG A/t's and I HATE Them in the wet weather and yesterday we went up in the snow. Husband drove and agreed. They suck! So in the research I've found I've found different ratings. On the goodyear web site the Wrangler AT/S actually rated better then the MT/R in all catagories. Same in snow and off road though. The MT/R actually rated pretty low in wet weather and that is my biggest concern as my truck is more of a daily driver with light off-road and I live in Washington. Rain 90% of the year. The tires I have now hydroplane alot. I hate that.
Goodyear Ratings
Now when I did some looking online and came across a Discount parts center I found some good prices and they did a ratings of their own and the MT/R did better by them But still not the highest. When I compared the two listed above.. The MT/R's and the Destination(Firestone) The Destination MT's did better.

Discount Parts Tire Rating
I think with this site you have to put in your tire size and what tires you are looking for each time. I don't think it will link to the search I did.

So I too would love to hear more feedback from those who have used these tires.

(sorry for the book, I don't know how to say alot in a few sentences )
Old 12-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

my Goodyear dealer says he will do 5 MTR`s (265/75/16) mounted, balanced, and road hazard, for $1068. thats cheaper than my Duelers, what ya guys think ? good deal ?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:42 PM

Well I just got back from a tire place and he said the Tire Rack place I looked at above (discount place) is where they get their tires from so ordering direct from them is not a bad thing but he still suggests (and please dont tell his boss he said this I was told) Wal-Mart. He said they sell their tires for just under their cost so I guess I will go look there.
He did tell me that he likes the Mt/R's but you do have to be very good with rotation and correct air pressure. For alot of street driving he still recommends an At though since they have higher milage abilities. The Mt/R is not known as a high milage tire but depends on how well you've taken care of them.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:13 PM

You can buy a better on road tire that performs comparably in 90% of wheeling situations for less money. Sure it does not look as cool, but that is my impression having owned MT/R's and wheeled with people having all sorts of other tires.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by RicNkc
my Goodyear dealer says he will do 5 MTR`s (265/75/16) mounted, balanced, and road hazard, for $1068. thats cheaper than my Duelers, what ya guys think ? good deal ?
that sounds high to me. the 265's are 167 on tirerack. so 167*5=835. so that means you're paying them 46 per tire to mount and balance. i don't include shipping because they get deliveries all the time and for them shipping is real cheap. i usually will allow a place 10 or 15 per tire for mounting or balancing, but even that is kind of high. i'd see if you can get them for $180 a tire mounted and balanced. which will bring you to around $900.

if you have a discount tire in your area, you can usually go in with a printout of the tirerack page and they'll match prices. at least they always have done that for me.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

mike_d,
that price does include the $20 road hazard per tire, along with mounting and balancing, ive used the road hazard less than 2 weeks after getting the Duelers, and they just got me a new tire, mounted and balanced for free, so $46 to mount balance and road hazard is a pretty good deal ?
but ill look for a Discount tire place here and see what they will charge for all that, thankx for the idea,
Old 12-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

I have close to 20k on my MTR's, I guess I've gotten used to the noise and haven't noticed a difference. They are about 50% worn and I never rotate them.....
Old 12-06-2004, 06:37 PM

Definitely a trade-off choice of tire.

Great off road, fair highway performance. Lots of chunking from rocks, but 14psi will do that to any tire IMO. Kind of "squirmy" for the amount of highway driving that I do... Loud, yeah a little. Lots of air running through a fairly open tread design. Dunno about mud, don't go near the stuff personally. Much better tire than the BFG A/T TA's that I ran previously in all aspects. Currently 25K Miles on my set, looks like they are good for another 25K.

When these wear out, I'll probably try something else like ProComp X-Terrains...

HTH,

Mike

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R