Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Cooper S/T vs. Nitto T/G vs. BFG K/O

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by creeve4
Anyone know where I can get some Cooper STT's? online or in Utah?
I know Discount Tire sells some Cooper tires. My friend manages the shop out in Riverton. Give them a call.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 PM

I have had BFG ATs on a 2nd gen Automatic and they were excellent in the snow and rain. I have Cooper Discoverer ST on my car now and they are better off road and in deep snow than the BFG but lacking on road in my opinion, but it is hard to say going from a Underpowed Auto to a Peppy 5-speed. Both of these tires I have had seem to last a long time though.

Last edited by mpavolka; 06-20-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 PM

well i have the bfgs on my truck and i would say i really enjoy them. the wet traction isnt very impressive, but then again i havnt driven on alot of other tires. but other than that they are pretty good to me
Old 06-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

A friend and myself tested the Nittos vs BFGs (on his '01 Runner) in a pretty good rain on the highway and on average I was able to go a bit over 10mph faster before the Nittos started to hydroplane. Ok,given this was over 70mph before I had issues but even at just 60mph (where the BFGs got skittish) I like knowing I still have a solid margin of error at highway speeds.

You can obvious tell the BFGs have a wet weather disadvantage vs the TGs by solely looking at the tread pattern. While BFG's overall construction has greatly improved in the last 15 years or so their tread design hasn't.

BFGs are great off road but there's much better (and cheaper) options when it comes to a daily driver.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 AM

I run the Nittos and will buy again when I wear them out.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 AM

I ran the Coopers 40k+ on my Tundra before I sold it and they still had alot of life left and were ok in the rain, for a pickup. I have a set on my 01 4R and they ride much better than the BFGs I had befor, with only 6K on them I can't tell about wear but so far they are even and no balance issues. They are good in snow and dirt, can't say about sand... I like em...

Doug
Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised you haven't considered the Cooper ATR's. I have them on my 4runner and there wearing excellent. I have about 10,000km's and they still look new. They are super quiet to. I'm coming from michelin LTX's and I actually think these are either just as quiet or quieter. There amazing i nthe snow to. And they behave really well on road in the rain and mixed conditions. Granted I haven't taken them offroad yet but they clean them selves well and run through mud with ease and don't clog up. I'll definitely be going with cooper for my next set, highly recommended here.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by One_96TR4
I'm surprised you haven't considered the Cooper ATR's. I have them on my 4runner and there wearing excellent. I have about 10,000km's and they still look new. They are super quiet to. I'm coming from michelin LTX's and I actually think these are either just as quiet or quieter. There amazing i nthe snow to. And they behave really well on road in the rain and mixed conditions. Granted I haven't taken them offroad yet but they clean them selves well and run through mud with ease and don't clog up. I'll definitely be going with cooper for my next set, highly recommended here.
I'm actually running a set of ElDorado ZTR Sport LT's right now, which are a clone of the ATR's. The tread is almost identical. You're right: they do very well on the road and in snow, but I have gotten them to hydroplane several times in moderate rain.

My main reason for switching is that I do wheel some and the ATR/ZTR's just don't do that well off road. I don't wheel enough to justify an M/T, but a very aggressive A/T is what I'm looking for.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 AM

The Nitto's are awesome in everything except mud which is what you should expect for an AT. The BFG's are tough but I always ended selling them prior to wearing them out because of the damn out of balance or out of round. Depending on how much you drive you might want a MT. The coopers should get btwn 25-35k the BFG MT's should get a little more, the nitto MT's are to aggressive for what your looking for.

Aaron
Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
The Nitto's are awesome in everything except mud which is what you should expect for an AT. The BFG's are tough but I always ended selling them prior to wearing them out because of the damn out of balance or out of round. Depending on how much you drive you might want a MT. The coopers should get btwn 25-35k the BFG MT's should get a little more, the nitto MT's are to aggressive for what your looking for.

Aaron
The problem with having M/T's here in the midwest is snow and especially ice during the winter months. Most M/T's aren't siped, which means their ice and light snow traction leaves a lot to be desired. Two mud tires I've found that do have siping are the Trxus M/T and Maxxis Bighorns. I'm considering those and probably the Cooper Discoverer S/T and Terra Grapplers for now.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:29 AM

get them siped or buy a siping tool. thats what i'm going to do
Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

If the tires have factory siping liek the Nittos do then don't sipe them again since it's plain bad for tires that see off road. Tire engineers didn't design tires to be siped by some shop and is compromising it's structure.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:02 AM

Also check out the yokohama geolander AT +IIs. I liked them when I had a Sierra. Deep tread, seemes to wear slowly, although I did not measure before I sold the truck.

~Joe aka Henry