Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

What stoves do you like for car camping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
What stoves do you like for car camping?

Here are a few good tips, although I see nada about propane camping stoves.
http://www.hiking-gear-and-equipment...ng-stoves.html

I have used the good old heavy duty Coleman white gas stoves in the past, the old ones like the guy is talking about in the article.

However I prefer propane over white gas, less chance of spillage, and easier to store where I live currently.

My current two burner stove is a Sears with auto light on it so you do not need to use matches.
It works good.
I bought it several years ago when I could not locate a Coleman propane one locally.
It is similar to this one.
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B0016...earsBrand=core

I may pick up a Coleman in the future, but the Sears one has worked out good so far.

I also have three backpacking stoves, two white gas (Coleman) and a Camping Gaz unit that uses the Gaz butane/propane mix cartridges.
But I am talking here about the bigger ones used for car camping.

Which do you prefer, white gas/unleaded gas, or propane.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my Optimus. I have the hiker model & it comes with a spare valve so you can burn different fuels depending on availability. It's really too heavy for hiking so I carry a "Beer Can" stove for that & a bottle of "Heet" as fuel. The Optimus is great though as long as your not ultra-light backpacking like I do.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just use an MSR pocket rocket
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 AM

I use one of those Coleman RoadTrip Grill. You can fold them when not in use to save space and use the standard small propane that you can pretty much get anywhere. The only downside to those is that the legs can get wobbly if not on an even surface but nothing a few wood chips or small rocks can't fix.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use a small webber
The following users liked this post:
Alex Kutana (03-02-2020)
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

From what I have been reading up on, the hot stove (yeah, punny huh ) is one called the Partner Stove.
http://www.ahappycamper.com/products...tnerindex.html

http://www.ahappycamper.com/products...r/2burner.html

They are expensive, but many use these that go on expeditions and white water rafting guides.

Myself, I like the Colemans, white gas or propane, but as stated earlier, proopane is my preference.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 AM

my exhaust manifold, great for buffalo wings
Old 04-26-2008, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
my exhaust manifold, great for buffalo wings

There was another thread on here that was talking about cooking near the exhaust manifold, someone even wrote a book about car cooking.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:43 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I make a fire.. Or I use my butane stove..
Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 AM

yeah, ive warmed up pizza and KFC on my exhaust mani, im not man enough to try cookin sausage on it though, too much can go wrong
Old 04-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

I use an old Primus Ultima 3 burner Propane thats been in the family for... gee about 30yrs now... original everything and still works great...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM

what stoves do you like to use for carcamping

I have been in scouting for over 30 years. when I first started, I used the old Coleman(weighed a ton) liquid fuel stove. It was a great stove, but it meant carrying extra fuel. BSA later recommended that the liquid stoves not be used by the boys without adult supervision. We then went to the Coleman camping stoves that used the propane fuel bottles, and that is one great stove, and the newer one now have ignighters built in I found that Home Depot had the best prices on coleman bottles, and we would by them by the case. If it's for car camping, you might consider using the smaller refillable propane tank, which I believe holds about 2.5 gallons. You can also use a manifold tree, which allows you to hook up one or more stoves along with a lantern on top. These things worked great on car campouts! For backpacking, I always used my trusty Coleman Peak One Backpackers liquid stove and carried a couple of sig bottles with liquid fuel. I never had a problem with either. If there is an REI in your neighborhood, check them out. They will have everything you need. If you are doing any serious car camping, you might consider using a dutch oven. Anything that you cook at home can be done in a dutch oven, but get the cast iron one. They are somewhat expensive, but the results are well worth the investiment. Just follow the instructions on how to season them, and never wash in soap and water.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM

I use a 2 burner camp chef and I think I will sell it and get a 3 burner.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
From what I have been reading up on, the hot stove (yeah, punny huh ) is one called the Partner Stove.
Those are made right here in Pocatello! The company does a lot for the outdoor community and they donate one of their 4-burner stoves to our local Safari Club banquets every year. They are the real deal.

Right now I am on a gas stove kick. I really like my Coleman Apex II. I tried a Coleman Xpert with the Power Max fuel over the weekend in conjunction with my Apex but did not like it. It boiled water fast, but the flame control is junk and continually blew out. The Apex has an integrated wind screen around the burner that helps with windy conditions.

I am also on a downsize kick and am getting rid of a bunch of stoves. I used to run a 2-burner century propane stove (currently for sale) and it worked well but took up too much space. I also want to stick with one fuel for vehicle and stove.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I use a pocket rocket for backpacking but use a coleman 2 burner white gas for car camping.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 AM

It is almost as old as me. It was used all through my childhood when we camped. I found it in my parents basement last year along with a original coleman lantern. This thing works so much better than some of the newer ones I have used.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
I use an old Primus Ultima 3 burner Propane thats been in the family for...
yup! mines almost that old too.

pressurizing w/white gas in the mtns got old(and messy), so now its propane... & propane accesories

for most items...when theyre allowed
Old 07-30-2008, 02:55 PM

I use a Century 2-burner stove. I like the low profile of the stove when folded up for storage. The propane bottle is also attached with a flexible hose.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by Rallyroo
I use a Century 2-burner stove. I like the low profile of the stove when folded up for storage. The propane bottle is also attached with a flexible hose.
That is identical to the Sears one I have.
I bet Century makes it.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
That is identical to the Sears one I have.
I bet Century makes it.
Very possible. So many products (cars included) are rebadged now-a-days.

Quick Reply: What stoves do you like for car camping?