3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

I want to swap a 3.4 into my 22re. What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to swap a 3.4 into my 22re. What do I need?

I have a 1990 toyota pickup with an automatic transmission and a 22re I want to swap a 3.4 into it. What all has to be done to make this work?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2008, 07:37 PM

Its not an automatic, but it was a 22r truck:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...z-swap-126413/

dont know why they didnt put that one at the top too, guess i didnt do a good enough job??
Old 05-16-2008, 07:38 PM

to answer your question, new motor mounts, different trans, different trans crossmember, wiring, p/s pump and lines, v6 a/c lines and top plate on compressor, different compressor clutch setup (for a serp belt), fuel filter (I put mine on the passenger fender).

Last edited by jasond; 05-16-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jasond
Dont know why they didnt put that one at the top too, guess i didn't do a good enough job??
Nope... just missed it.

Fixed now!!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks
Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 AM

Thanks Jason is there a guide or a kit that someone has that will make this swap like it came from the factory.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:09 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Start by reading the material found here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/

Old 05-17-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try not to get offended by this but if you are going to do this swap you should first figure out how to use the "Search" feature of this forum. 99% of your questions have most likely already been answered in other posts. All it takes is a little effort. Far less effort than it is going to take to put the 3.4 in your truck.

Lucky for you this is "Yotatech" and members here are more eager to help than flame.

That being said, go to ORS.com. Most of you're answers can probably be found there.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 AM

well first off there isnt alot of information on the 22re swap mostly the 3.0 the best information I have found is by jasond his thread was very information but I just want to use my truck mostly as a daily driver with a wow factor plus my motor is wore out and I just cant get rid of the ole girl. I dont need double transfer cases or some other mods jason used just a basic truck I was just needing some information not a smart alleck remark
Old 05-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwartz04
well first off there isnt alot of information on the 22re swap mostly the 3.0 the best information I have found is by jasond his thread was very information but I just want to use my truck mostly as a daily driver with a wow factor plus my motor is wore out and I just cant get rid of the ole girl. I dont need double transfer cases or some other mods jason used just a basic truck I was just needing some information not a smart alleck remark
22RE, 3.0 or sbc...it is irrelevant what you are yanking out.

The 3.4 swap is a creature in and of itself and cannot be concised into a few posts or threads or even websites where you are going to get all the information you need to know handed to you in one complete concise detailed list. You are going to have to do your own research. Try and the links suggested above. All the information is there, just not all in one place.

With a 22RE you are starting over...going to have to yank all the engine out, transmission etc and swap in the 3.4/3.0 stuff depending on what you can find.

As far as not needing smart allect remarks, it is your decision to see them as such, go ask this same question on pirate4x4.com and see how many responses you get there.

The information is out there, now go find and read it for yourself and do the work or open up your wallet and pay someone to do it for you.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-17-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:20 PM

there are certain things you know will need to be done thanks to jasond's thread. i would research that thread until my eyes bled, deciding what applies to you and what doesn't. start compiling a list of the things you have to get and from what you have to get them, and then start hunting for those things while you keep looking for more information online. i researched the 3.0-3.4 conversion for almost a year before i even found my engine, and i wasn't actively looking for one; i just couldn't walk away from the oppurtunity even though i didn't really feel ready for it.

if you're serious about doing it, keep driving and maintaining your truck the way it is if possible. try finding an engine/wiring harness/ecu from one vehicle and let the features of that package(such as manual or auto tranny) determine what other parts you need. while you compile the parts you need, you can be doing things like the timing belt, machining the heads, etc. the truth is there are too many variants from one year to the next, from one model to the next to be fully prepared, so learn as much as you can beforehand, then be prepared to let your engine sit while you sort out the rest. a lot of the real work/research for me came after i knew what exactly was going to be going in my truck.

sorry i can't be more helpful as far as pointing you in the right direction, but the links above are good links and good starting points. good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 05-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Schwartz04
Thanks Jason is there a guide or a kit that someone has that will make this swap like it came from the factory.
If you want a kit, www.offroadsolutions.com is the best place to go, period. Mike is very helpful and will bend over backwards to help out his customers.

I agree with screamer76 in taking your time and finding the right stuff at the right price. I had that 5vz for two years before I got the taco trans and other parts that I needed for my swap. Most of my friends didnt think that it would ever happen

The main reason that I did the double t-case setup is that the stock crossmember wouldnt work even if i went with a single t-case. I figured that I might as well do it the way I wanted it the first time. You will need to weld on your truck, so if you dont know how you better start making friends with guys that do.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM

I googled "3.4l to 22re swap" and this:

http://www.geocities.com/humboldttoyota/5vzfeswap.html

is the first thing it came up with. Oh look a "list" of "what all has to be done to make this work."

So I'll stop being a smart a$$ when you show some initiative and stop asking for everything to be spoon fed to you.

Last edited by neoworm0; 05-19-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
ORS

We have a TON of tech info here regarding that swap:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/tech...ersion_kit.htm

There is also more info & pictures here of a 22RE to 5VZ-FE swap:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/proj...vz-fe_swap.htm

Let us know with any questions you might have.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jasond
If you want a kit, www.offroadsolutions.com is the best place to go, period. Mike is very helpful and will bend over backwards to help out his customers.
X2
Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM

X3.
Mike takes no shortcuts and his work is factory quality. It is not the cheapest. I do NOT think it is a bad value though.

He did my 22RE to 5VZ swap; MAYbe I could have struggled through it and ended up with something almost as nice, but we were building on to an old house and I was working - no time.

I had done the prep work, which set the stage:
1) I moved my battery to the rear underdeck, adding a second Optima Yellow Top. I ran 1/0 cable armored in irrigation pipe from each battery to a solenoid underhood. This picks on IGN in one switch position, and jumpstarts in the other. Frees up a lot of space under the hood.
2) I already had a FRORF crossmember which is killer for the 5VZ and crawl boxes (no twisting of the drivetrain). This Mike relocated approximately 3" forward to position the motor correctly.
3) I already had rebuilt and installed an R151 behind the 22RE, and mated it via 23 spline input to the crawler boxes. However, the R150 from a 3.4 donor is a fine tranny and will shift better. You will need a Marlin adapter to bolt on a geared transfer case however, if you go this route.
4) I already had installed a 90-95 V6 radiator.

The 22RE to 5VZ swap is a lot harder than the 3.0-3.4 swap. Mike spent a lot of time getting it right, and sorting out the bugs. There is not a lot of free space in the engine bay to work with. The original crossover (without a flex joint) failed, and Mike stood behind it, pulled the motor again, redesigned the crossover to the current design, and installed it gratis. It has been problem free to this day. The flex coupling in the crossover and the flex after the downtube is key, I think.

I took my 22RE hoses and the 3.4 AC hoses to a local NAPA and had them build hybrid hoses. I would use the 3.0 hoses with the 3.0 compressor top plate if I had to do it again. I have a mystery leak in the AC that defies tracking down even with dye.

Mike's customer service is peerless, and as said his work is the best - you won't be disappointed. He knows this swap.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ORS
We have a TON of tech info here regarding that swap:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/tech...ersion_kit.htm

There is also more info & pictures here of a 22RE to 5VZ-FE swap:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/proj...vz-fe_swap.htm

Let us know with any questions you might have.
I'm prepping for this swap and found that ORS recently redesigned their website.. here's the correct l ink fot eh 22RE->5vzfe swap:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/855vzefswap.html
Old 12-08-2008, 07:22 AM

Just FYI, I got an email from ORS that they are shutting their doors permanently after 12/18/08... :-(

That will be a huge loss to the 4x4 world in general and Toyota in particular.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Just FYI, I got an email from ORS that they are shutting their doors permanently after 12/18/08... :-(

That will be a huge loss to the 4x4 world in general and Toyota in particular.
Really sorry to hear that, bummer