3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

How is your cruise control set up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How is your cruise control set up?

I have done extensive searching on this forum and tried researching but i'm not finding anything real specific on how to hook up the cruise control to servo with the swap?

Are you using the 3.0 CC servo or the 3.4 servo?

I know with the 3.0 i will have to modify the cable and possibly the wiring but it's a grey area. Pictures would be awesome

I am not sure what to do with the 3.4 servo. I know i will have to do wiring with my wiring diagrams but i just wanna know what others have done.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 AM

Really? No response/advice/pictures?

I have figured out that i can use my 3.slo CC module. I just beed to do some modifications. I heard the vacuum line hooks up to the ADD but i dont have ADD. So can i use any "vacuum"? Or?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No cruise control for me; it started acting up and more or less quit working before the swap and I use it so rarely it wasn't worth the effort to try and fix mine, then figure out how to make it work with the 3.4.

As for where to hook up the vacuum line, I'd imagine you could hook it up anywhere and be fine, such as the small port on the back of the upper intake near where the heater control valve is on the firewall (at least that's where the ADD vacuum line is connected).
Old 08-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Thanks sacrunner. I know what line your talkin about, i'll use it. I just finished making my "extension" harness to extend the connectors that go to the module on the passenger side. Gonna wire it tomorrow. Then i will grind the end of the cable down from a ball to the barell type that the 3.4 module has. Kinda confusing, pictures to come.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 PM

Austin dang sorry for not replying to your PM. Yeah I never hooked mine up either. I tried to do it with the original 3.0 cruise box but no joy. Never put much effort into it honestly. Its on my list of things to finish up. Would be interested to hear from somebody that finished it up. I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult but haven't set my mind to it.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:37 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
cc wiring is untouched in third gen trucks 2nd gen 4runners. You carefully modify the ball at the cable end into a bar shape to match the 3rd gen 4runner style. I haven't found a OEM swap it out style way to do it yet. Can't remember what I did with the 1st gen 4runners. Any vacuum source will work though. Not sure if I moved the cc over to the other side.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:38 AM

Thank you very much guys. It is very appreciated.

Vasincictor- no worries man, your busy. We gotta get your CC workin too!

Vital22re- thanks man! Josh (deathcougar) told me thats what he did with his. Said he had to modify the cable. Just like you said.

Here are a couple of pictures of my extension harness. I had to put my cruise module on the passenger side
Attached Thumbnails How is your cruise control set up?-image-965823710.jpg   How is your cruise control set up?-image-4224613482.jpg   How is your cruise control set up?-image-3647388889.jpg   How is your cruise control set up?-image-4153852573.jpg   How is your cruise control set up?-image-3659911353.jpg  

How is your cruise control set up?-image-1528915882.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM

Update!

Cruise control works great now! I did the following:

- Mounted the bracket on the passenger side in such a way that the cable for the actuator was running facing the throttle body and not hitting the hood.

- Made about a 5 1/2 foot extension harness out of white 18ga automotive wire. I built the harness by cutting (7) wires, (2) for the vacuum pump plug, (2) for the vacuum switch plug and (3) for the cruise actuator plug. Cross referenced each wire color at each plug and labeled each of my extension wire's accordingly using white face tape and a sharpie and leaving myself about 8" to solder my connections. I bundled each plug extension wire's separately with a label of what it was. Once I completed that I tapped all bundles together. I cut my plugs that were on the driver side leaving about 2 1/2 inches of wire so I could solder them. I soldered the plugs on and shrink wrapped each connection. I took ribbed wire loom and ran the harness in the loom and tapped it on each end then supported it along the firewall. Next I soldered the harness to the factory harness cross referencing the wire's I labeled and shrink wrapped each joint and the whole connection per plug. I ran the rest of my wire loom over the joints and tapped it up.
- I mounted everything to the bracket on the passenger side and began grinding using a dremel tool, the ball end of the cable down to a "barrel" type end that would fit on the throttle body. You have to be very careful and do a little bit of a time and mark it with a sharpie where you want to grind.
- Next, utilizing the vacuum line that you take from the 3.0L, I ran that to a vacuum line that was coming right out the back of my upper intake manifold.

Your done, happy cruising!
The following users liked this post:
yotaspliffs (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took me way too long to find this.

Been searching for a long time before I found this. Gonna try it tomorrow morning and hope it works for me too haha.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by yotaspliffs
Been searching for a long time before I found this. Gonna try it tomorrow morning and hope it works for me too haha.

Yeah - let me know if you need help. hope it works for you
yotaspliffs (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Is this the vacuum hose you connected to?
Old 11-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Got everything hooked up today (or so I thought). I went ahead and used that hose in then pic above but didn't get a chance to find out if it worked because my CC didn't even turn on. No lights on the dash anyway. I checked all my fuses and they all looked good so I don't think that is the issue. The cruise control worked before the swap so now I think i just need to chase wires and hope I find a bad connection somewhere but wont have time for that until next weekend. Any ideas on where I should start?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:59 PM

It Works

Nevermind, it does work.... Stupid me just forgot I replaced my instrument cluster a long time ago and I must have gotten one from an auto because when I push the button in the left the ECT PWR light comes on. Doesn't help that I didn't know what that meant nor how to actually set the CC.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:05 AM

oh nice! good work. sorry the delayed reply. I don't really check email over the weekend. enjoy!
yotaspliffs (11-25-2019)