3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Another 3.4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep! I'm approaching 4,000 miles on mine since first firing it up just before Christmas. It was a PITA to do it without a garage, but I'm very glad I did! I'm just super impressed with the power and drivability of the 3.4! The only down side that I've seen, is that I have to watch my highway speeds A LOT closer these days! LOL! That just wasn't much of an issue with the old 3.0!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by breknraj
The only down side that I've seen, is that I have to watch my highway speeds A LOT closer these days! LOL! That just wasn't much of an issue with the old 3.0!
Yeah, when I put on the supercharger I budgeted on extra $1000 for law-enforcement donations.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 AM

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1

Nice job!

Last edited by Kutter; 03-30-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 PM

Radical! Nice swap. I still think Dale's swap takes the cake though.

~Marge
Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM

Yes, his swap is the best. I read his several times before doing mine.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:36 PM

Okay, so the absolutely last hurdle was the air conditioning. When I talked to ORS they said they had wired in the A/C stuff to my wiring harness so it should work.

When I went to have my exhaust done I also had the exhaust shop remove the old refrigerant which was about 4 months ago. I decided to get the A/C working this weekend because I will be going to lots of National Parks and hope to make it to the Southwest this summer.

What I did is buy one of the R-12 to R-112 conversion kits from Kragen autoparts for $60. Then I switched the top plate with the tube fittings (has 4 allen bolts holding it to the top of the a/c compressor and the tubes from the a/c system run into it) from my 3.0L engine compressor to my 3.4L engine compressor so that I could hook the tubes from my a/c system to the 3.4L compressor. Then I retrofitted the fill fittings per the instructions in the conversion kit I got from Kragen. I bolted the a/c compressor to the engine, hooked up the hoses, hooked up the belt, started the engine and turned on the a/c all the way and...nothing. The a/c compressor was not engaging. So I contacted ORS. They were super helpful and told me:

We're very glad to hear that it's working well and you're enjoying it!
Feedback like that is what keeps us going here.

You don't need to worry about the neg. terminal for the compressor. Do
you have the A/C system charged when you are trying? You cannot fully
charge the system w/out the compressor working, but you do need a
partial charge first. There is a low pressure safety switch in the
system that will not give the compressor power until there is something
in the system.

If so, you might also try raising the RPM to about 1500 while doing
this. The RPM signal given to the amplifier is a little different than
stock and sometimes they are "touchy" at idle. These are usually the
things holding people up with the A/C.

Let us know if this doesn't help, good luck!

Once I got some refrigerant in the system it worked great. I filled the system to the specs and now all systems in my truck work great. So hats off again to the guys at ORS, they rule.

Later,
Marge
Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Mike (at ORS) is a very helpful, knowedgeable, and easy person to deal with. Their harness and crossover pipe made my conversion a lot easier to deal with.

I'm glad to hear that you had a similar experience!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:30 AM

Okay, so I am on a road trip currently and just visited another yotatech member, sat4soris. He had pm'ed me and told me he was doing the swap. I think he finished it about 1 month ago. Anyways, we met up near Redding, California to do some comparisons. He has his 95 3.4L in a 91 4wd 4Runner. I have my 98 3.4L in a 91 longbed 4wd pickup. The engines are both pretty stock except I used the 3.0L evap. I also used the crossover pipe from ORS. And sat4soris used the ceramic coated Downey headers. We have exactly the same exhaust pipe size and we used the same cat and muffler (magnaflow, forget the model) We switched vehicles and drove out on the freeway.

We assumed that both vehicles were about the same weight as mine was loaded with camping gear and he has the 4runner which should be heavier than the pickup alone. We both agree (and so did my girlfriend), that the Downey headers give a very noticeable power increase. Also the Downey headers have a much, much better sound. Keep in mind that we are using the same cat and muffler and pretty much the same air intake (mine is k&n and I forget exactly what his is but high flow for sure).

Speaking on the exhaust routing for the headers, which was my greatest concern and the reason I didn't do them. His exhaust routing is simple and easy to remove. Hopefully he will post some pictures of the exhaust routing here on yotatech.

I have to say something about sat4soris's swap. Very nice! And very well documented! He has 3-4 full binders on every single aspect of his swap as well as extra information that is very helpful for making certain decisions (supercharger, headers, etc.), and a compilation of other threads (including Dales I think). He also did the wiring harness himself and has the spreadsheet with the pin connections. And he has information on getting the thing smog legal in California which is something I have yet to do. All this information I think is in pdf format. He mentioned he might post this awesome resource on the forums too.

So after talking yota for a while sat4soris kindly invited me and my girlfriend to stay the night at his house instead of going to the Walmart parking lot like I was planning. Awesome after sleeping in the back of a pickup for 2 weeks. You meet some great people on this forum!

Later,
Marge
Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

I thought a lot about putting headers on mine ('02 Taco donor), but when I saw that the system had 2 cats on it, I decided to go with the ORS crossover.

I figured that mine had been designed to run with 2 cats, and that I should keep that, both because I like clean air, and that it would be closer to spec that way. I just did not see a reasonable way to do headers, crossover, o2 sensors, 2 cats and a muffler under the truck.

Headers would be nice, but I really can't complain about my 3.4 - It's been a hell of an engine, so far!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Okay guys, I think I have run up against another issue. While on my last road trip I was in pretty hot weather (~100 fahrenheit), I was running the A/C, and going up hill and the engine started heating up. It actually got all the way to 233 fahrenheit (still within acceptable but at the upper end) before the hill ended. I also noticed the heat would climb pretty good when the A/C was on and I was driving over 60 mph in the flats. I am currently using the stock 3.0L radiator with about 100K miles on it. Since I am leaving for Vegas on Sunday I decided to buy a 3.4L 1998 4Runner radiator from www.radiatorbarn.com. The 4Runner radiator is bigger than the Tacoma radiator and though not as thick as my 3.0L radiator it is wider. I am not really sure this will fit where the existing radiator is...but we'll see. I am supposed to get it tomorrow so I will try installing it then. I will update this thread with more info.

Later,
Marge
Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marge
Okay guys, I think I have run up against another issue. While on my last road trip I was in pretty hot weather (~100 fahrenheit), I was running the A/C, and going up hill and the engine started heating up. It actually got all the way to 233 fahrenheit (still within acceptable but at the upper end) before the hill ended. I also noticed the heat would climb pretty good when the A/C was on and I was driving over 60 mph in the flats. I am currently using the stock 3.0L radiator with about 100K miles on it.
Marge
Yep yep, that's pretty much what I'm experiencing too and I'm looking hard for an answer. BTW what was your factory temp gauge reading when you were at 233 deg F?

Originally Posted by Marge
Since I am leaving for Vegas on Sunday I decided to buy a 3.4L 1998 4Runner radiator from www.radiatorbarn.com. The 4Runner radiator is bigger than the Tacoma radiator and though not as thick as my 3.0L radiator it is wider. I am not really sure this will fit where the existing radiator is...but we'll see. I am supposed to get it tomorrow so I will try installing it then. I will update this thread with more info.

Later,
Marge
Yes please let us know how you do with that. I've got a 2001 Taco radiator sitting around and I've looked at the front clip a few times dreaming about putting the bigger radiator in place of the 3.0 rad. From what I've seen it looks like you would have to relocate the overflow bottle and do away with or relocate the washer bottle. But the biggest obstacle looks to be the IFS steering gear. That of course isn't on the newer trucks with rack & pinion steering but on our trucks it sits right in the way of a wider rad.

Here's a couple threads that you may want to read if you can't make the bigger rad fit:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/evans-npg-waterless-coolant-114994/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...4+swap+started
Old 06-27-2007, 11:56 AM

Hiya Dale,

When I was at 233F (or at least that is what the live data on my OBDII said) I was at the upper limit of the white line on the temp gauge (gauge has while line, then a small gap and then a red line).

IFS steering gear!? I forgot about that. I am going to try to make it work though. If I can get it to fit I will take pics and post em.

Later,
Marge
Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 PM

mad props to you guys who worked that swap!!
i want to ...will do this swap as funds become available and all my parts are gathered.
great job guys.
oh and dale, your write is stellar!!
-aaron
Old 06-30-2007, 06:14 AM

I wonder if having the fan shroud on would help. I haven't put the fan shroud on yet, (original one broke while I was taking it off) but then I haven't had a problem with the engine temp going up. Even on hot days with the A/C running.

On another note: It was a real treat to meet "Marge" and compare swaps. As he was coming down the street the first thing I looked for was the cookie sheet on the hood. We had a great visit and he is one pretty cool dude.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Okay, so the 98 4Runner radiator didn't fit. As Dale said the steering gear is in the way. I ordered the standard 3.0L radiator thinking that mine was shot and the flow is a bit low. It didn't arrive before I left for Vegas though. So I picked up a fan shroud (as sit4soris recommended) and put that on along with my 3.0L fan. I am in Vegas now. I drove through 120 degree weather 2 days ago in Blythe, CA. The truck heats up to about 212 and stays there with the A/C running and as long as I keep it under 60 mph there is no problem. I would love to be able to drive in 120 with the A/C on and about 70. So if anyone has any ideas I am all ears.

Thanks guys,
Marge
Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 AM

This has been another good read for me. Subscribed ...

Oh, and should this be moved to the new 3.4 Swap area?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 PM

wow i love the swap, everyday i read more and more about it and I am def. gonna do it as soon as i towe down my truck in Sac. YEPPE!
Mt goat, Dale: Im not sure if your from Fresno but as I grew up in Fresno, I met a guy at an Old work place who had Mountain Goat Patrol labeled on the rear of his truck. I wouldnt be suprise if that was you. though your hometown is nowhere near CA. hehe.

Last edited by GBK_2slow; 06-23-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GBK_2slow
wow i love the swap, everyday i read more and more about it and I am def. gonna do it as soon as i towe down my truck in Sac. YEPPE!
Mt goat, Dale: Im not sure if your from Fresno but as I grew up in Fresno, I met a guy at an Old work place who had Mountain Goat Patrol labeled on the rear of his truck. I wouldnt be suprise if that was you. though your hometown is nowhere near CA. hehe.
Nope, it wasn't me. Sounds like an idea though