Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

wax applicators

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wax applicators

how many applicator pads are needed for waxing one vehicle? I was gonna just purchase one red and one orange from griots to use on the porter cable, but will one be enough or should I get an extra of each?
Old 06-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
One of each is enough.
I am still on the same red one (for application of wax) and I have used it about 6 times already on the Runner.

Same with the orange one (for application of polishes) which has been used once on Todd's '88 4Runner.

When you get done using them, store them back in the ziplock bags they come in with the bag open so they can breathe.

Before you use it next time, turn it upside down outside and pat the crap out of it.
The old dried wax and polish will fall out.

I would still buy two though, you know why?
Once your neighbors see how easy it is you are doing your rig, they will want to borrow your Porter Cable or at least have you help them do their rig.

I used a different red one on Todd's rig, as I did not know how much oxidation he had in his paint, and I did not want to use the same one on my rig in the future.

Have fun man,
Old 06-24-2002, 09:16 PM

Hey Data and Corey,
I also only have one orange/red pad. Since the polish/wax is water soluble, it washes right of the pads. I hang them for a day or so to make sure they are completely dry before storing them in plastic baggies.

Hey, do you guys just get a kick at how freakin' nice your runner looks after detailing it. After I get done detailing mine, I grab a couple of beers and set my camping chair in front of my runner and just sit there admiring it..... huh.....or is that just me and Im weird!

Im purchasing another set of pads for my other car. There are times when want to do both cars one day. I don't want to use the used pads on the other car due the pads may get build up of grime (damn is that anal or what).
Old 06-24-2002, 09:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah, once I use a certain wax on one, I don't mix it with another.
I still have one from when I used Meguair's Cleaner/Wax and then the Zymol a few years back.
But nothing but the Best Of Show goes on my current red pad.

Sit back & admire? He he he...I am guilty as charged. I washed my rig again Friday, and since it was just waxed in May, it is still blinding to look at.

Also since we are having a streak of good weather here, I am out there nightly wiping the brake dust off the wheels and using my California Duster on the whole rig to get the days surface dust off.

I was out there about 7:30 tonight and I had to shield my eyes when I was doing it because of the reflection in the white paint.
Even the manager here told me tonight my paint hurts her eyes to look at it.
I guess that's a good thing
Man, I need a smilie like the violin one but holding a Porter Cable instead.
That would rock!
Corey
Old 06-25-2002, 10:38 PM

Just wondering.....

I should be getting my Griot's wax and polish pads tomorrow and just bought my P/C yesterday. I was wondering how much wax do i apply to the pads in order to wax my Taco DC? The book says to apply to the whole pad and spread it evenly like on a pancake. Is this one application enough for the entire truck or after doing one section do I need to apply more wax tot he pad? Just wondering. This will be the first time using this P/C and i dont want to mess anything up!!!

Thanks

Slo:pig:
Old 06-25-2002, 11:13 PM

Hey Glenn. Corey's wax page probably has the 'details'...Setting on CoreyCable is 4. Good average vibe. I usually put a 50 cent sized squirt dead center on the pad. Puting light pressure on the pad, turn the switch on. Run the PC front to back or circular. This amount is good for a door, a fender or 1/2 a hood. Always keep the pad on the body when your turn it off and don't lift up until motor has stopped! :confused: Polish dots will fly everywhere if you lift before it stops. Corey can tell you all about the Griots stuff. One day I'll use up all my wax and convert. Good luck and have fun...it's easy.
butnut
Old 06-26-2002, 04:21 AM

what do ya do around the emblems and such places that are hard to get? You do those parts by hand I assume?
Old 06-26-2002, 05:13 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi SloMo, I just dribble a few drops about as much as Brian suggested onto the pad.
Then I take the pad with the unit turned off and squish it over a few places.
Here is a video of me from my detail page applying it to give you an idea of how I apply it to my rig.

Data, I use to wax the hard parts by hand, but now since I have used the PC quite a bit I can do everything with just the Porter Cable.
I wax right over the emblems with the Griot's pads.
When wiping it off, I just have to get the rag in there a little more to ge tthe dried wax off.
Also a toothbrush works good for getting the dried wax from between the emblems too.
Corey
Old 06-26-2002, 09:27 AM

ah i see. thanks for the tips!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 12:19 PM

Corey and Brian thanks for your tips. Well the UPS man just delivered the Griot's goods and I will use the old lady's car as the test lab this weekend. Her car is in terrible condition. Ok, so a .50 cent spot is good for the half the hood and then keep applying the same amount until the entire car is done. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2002, 12:28 PM

Hey Glenn. You're really gonna appreciate how easy it is to wax yer rigs. You can adjust the amount of wax on the pad as you don't want too much wax build up. If your pad still has wax, keep going. The Zymol I use is a PITA...I can only do 1 panel and wipe off. If I wait too long, I bust my butt wiping off. It kills me doing the roof in 6 sections:mad: ...I'd rather wax the entire rig and wipe off.
butnut
Old 06-26-2002, 12:51 PM

Newbie here. I have a '94 4Runner with 134,000 on it. I love this truck. It's the second one I've had, the first was an '87.

Where can i get my hands on the Porter Cable and these wax pads? I so tired of doing it by hand.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:03 PM

Just order all this!!! Porter Cable should be in soon also!!!!

You can get the porter cable from http://www.planetportercable.com/tools/randomorbit.html

11102 Car Wash 16 Ounces $7.95
10222 Sheepskin Mit $15.95
11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel $26.95
11161 Polish 1 $12.95
10631 Paint Cleaning Clay Pad $19.95
11204 Elastic Backed Pad Holder $5.95
10629 Mini Red Wax Pad Holder $10.95
10625C 6” backplate for buffer $24.50

11119A Machine Polish & Wax Kit
Comes with Orange and Red Pad
Polish 3 & BOS Wax
Clay and Speedshine $80.00
Old 06-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi TPG, welcome to the board.
Look in my sig file below too for my detail section.
It has all the stuff that Data just listed, and tips on how to use all the stuff.

I have been using the Porter Cable system now for a few years and quite simply can't thing of why I would ever want to try anything else after the look I get and the protection of the wax.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:37 PM

TPG:

If you have a Lowe's Hardware close to you I would go there. I just got my P/C from them for 109.00.

Old 06-26-2002, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Corey, I am curious about something regarding the PC Buffer as stated in Griots catalog. They stress to "beware of other companies selling the Random Orbital we offer with a cheaper backing plate that's made of plastic. Their mounting plate is molded into the plastic allowing the transfer of heat from the machine, through the screw and plastic, into the pad and to your paint." If one was to purchase the PC7336 from somewhere other than Griots to save about $90 would it really be any different. Does your have a plastic or rubber mounting plate?
Old 06-26-2002, 05:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

What they are talking about is the Meguiar's backing plate that I have. It is maroon colored plastic.

The Griot's one has holes in it to allow cooling.
That is all they are talking about.
It's more hype probably to get you to buy their backing plate which is about $8 more than the one I have.

I may switch over later to the Griot's one, but for now I don't really see a reason too.
The Meguiar's one works just fine.
I had bought the Meguiar's one before I even heard of Griot's.

So the Meguiar's backing plate is as they described. Plastic with rubber on it with Velcro to hold the pads.
You can't see it in the picture I have here though, but both plates mount the same way.
Corey

PS, here is a vid I shot a few days ago helping Glassjaw to understand how he was suppose to mount the pads to the buffer.
You can see the Meguiar's backing plate in the vid.
I goofed! I said my unit was a 7335, when it is really a 7336.
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/v...rter_cable.mpg
Old 06-26-2002, 07:47 PM

Corey when you wash your ride at the house do you use a small pressure washer or the good ole water hose? :confused:

Also after applying the clay, will I need to wash off my car once more or do I just go ahead and polish then. So the steps will go like so.

1. Wash Car really good
2. Clay the car
3. Apply needed polish
4. Wipe polish off
5. Apply BOS WAX
6. Wipe Off
7. Sit outside and admire the shiny car w\ a nice cold one

Also what would you recommend for replinishing leather. I've tried the meguires stuff and its ok. I've been looking into griots also. :confused:

Last edited by data; 06-26-2002 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Data, I use just a regular hose with a squeeze trigger nozzle on the end of it.
I have eyeballed that expensive nozzle Griot's sells, but I am not to sure about parting with $80 for a nozzle

Nope, you won't have to wash the rig after the clay. When you wipe off the Speed Shine after you have clayed, it comes off easy.
You don't have to buff hard to wipe it off.

You might want to wash your rig with Dawn Dish soap first.
That will get off all the synthetic wax that may be on there from previous waxes you have used.
The BOS wax is Carnauba, and contains no synthetics I believe.

All the steps you have listed there is the way to do it.
Go easy on the BOS. I still put it on a little too thick, and it's harder to wipe off if you put it on to thick.

For leather I hear the Lexol rocks. I have the conditioner which I use on my leather WheelSkin's steering wheel cover.
I believe Jason is a big fan of the Lexol Cleaner & Conditioner.

I'm sure the Griot's is good too, as all of their stuff does what they say it does, but the Lexol is really great stuff.
Corey
Old 06-26-2002, 09:12 PM

A pad heating up? With a random orbiter...:confused: hmmmm. There may be some friction heat, but I can't see much harm in that. I have a solid rubber pad on my PC...works great. Fancy toys are sweet...like my ninja sword.
butnut

Quick Reply: wax applicators