Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Pure Power Lubricants

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pure Power Lubricants

Hello everyone, hope this is acceptable to post here, wanted to get everyones thoughts...

PURE POWER makes some lifetime oil filters and called me today to see if I was interested in selling them.

Do any of you have any experience with this product? At $199 a pop would that be something that any of you would be interested in?

I placed the LINK to their site in case you wanted to take a look.

Anyhow, if anyone would be interested or has anything to share, could you please let me know!!

Heck if there is a lot of interest I would be happy to do a group buy.

Thanks as always, talk to you all soon!

Mike
Old 02-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Skeptical.

Here they claim that Indpendent tests show the filter is 90% more efficient in filtering out 30 micron particles, while here they claim that it is 10 micron particles. They tout their use of 6061 T6 Billet Aluminum and T304 Stainless Steel, without mentioning anything about ANSI ISO 4548 (which is Methods of test for full-flow lubricating oil filters for internal combustion engines - you'd think that'd be kinda important). They have 5 links to NASCAR pages (2 of which are to the same car, so one assumes that one car uses their products, though that claim is never actually made), but not to a NASCAR driver's endorsement of their product (to be fair, they do have an endorsement by an NHRA driver. It's strange though that his endorsement is actually hosted on their website, whereas all the other pages under RACING are links). Although just because it works well for a race vehicle that has its engine rebuilt after every race and every part inspected for wear/damage that is running at or near redline for a couple hours doesn't mean that it is appropriate or suitable for our vehicles. Cross-drilled rotors, anyone?

Besides, even if it is legit, it's hard to justify the economics. $200 for a filter? OEM filters are only $5 a pop, so that'd buy 40 filters. I use Mobil-1 and change my oil every 5000 miles. So, I'd have to drive 200,000 miles before the 'savings' of using this reusable oil filter pays for itself. Even if you change your oil every 3000 miles, you're still looking at 120,000 miles before you make your money back. And that's 40 times that you're going to have to take the filter off, clean it (no mention of how easy or difficult that is - if you look at the exploded view of the internals of the filter it looks like it would take a bit of time) and put it back on. Adds a lot of time to how long it takes you to do an oil change. Where do you clean it? Their website suggests that you use soap and water to clean the filter - so do you clean it in your kitchen sink? What about the residual oil that's left in the filter when you start to clean it? That's going down the sink! So, unless you set up a special cleaning bin for the filter, the 'helps protect the environment' claim kinda falls out the window. At least with a disposable filter you can take it to Autozone and they'll (hopefully) dispose of it properly.

I'd also imagine it'd be tricky to have the oil changed at a shop. Can you imagine your mechanic's face/reaction when you tell them that they need to 'clean' the oil filter? If you're lucky, they'll just put it back on. If you're not, they'll throw away your $200 filter and slap a FRAM on their. Even for those of us who change our own oil, there are times that you have to have it done at a shop (because of time constraints, or whatever).

I wish there were more independent information on their products. Google doesn't show much, other than dealers. The only other things I could find were the typical 'glowing endorsement' by people who bought the $200 filter and have to justify it to themselves and everyone else (and there was only 1 of these that I could quickly find). Well, there a couple of people who endorsed their lubricants, but that's a something for another day.

~Bill
Old 02-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Bill very excellent response, this is kinda what I was looking for.

I must admit, the $200 price tag through me as like you said, at $5 a pop you are looking at a lot of oil changed before you see the cost benefit.

Is there a benefit to the product, sure maybe for a motor that is rebuilt before every race...anyhow, thanks so much for taking the time, very well written!