Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Fun times @ Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that's crappy. ^

Changing oil is probably the easiest maintenance you can do yourself. Takes about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it. The money you save adds up, and plus you know it's being done right.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Zetoe
Takes about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.
You obviously dont own a 3rd gen!
Old 12-20-2003, 11:48 AM

No I don't. How long does it take on a third gen? I can change most oil in 10 minutes. Is there a skid plate/plastic cover thingy? Those things suck! My friend did his G35 which has the fancy zero aero package thing. Gotta take off a whole bunch of covers.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Mine always takes more than 10 mins but thats because I'm always doing other things while the oil is draining. And the only time I take mine in to have the oil changed is when its friken cold outside and I can't find a buddies garage to borrow. When I do I take mine in its to walmart or valvoline and watch them like a hawk.

Last edited by Krash; 12-20-2003 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

I almost always do my own work, including oil changes, except when I'm on a long road trip and need to change it before I get back home. The past two years I've had the guys at the Quaker State place in Moab do an oil change for me, and they are so used to having 4x4s in there that I'm fairly relaxed about it. Not sure I would trust anywhere else to do it unless I could sit there and watch them work, and even then I would worry. The only hard part about doing an oil change is finding out where to get rid of the used oil. No reason everyone shouldn't be doing their own changes and learning a little more about their vehicles.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:36 PM

Those damn lube techs! Just use my shop next time. Bring the parts and it's all yours.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:47 PM

I have always done my own oil changes on my trucks, but cars I take elsewhere. I had my accord in at jiffy lube once. It was a nice day, so I sat outside. I happened to be sitting on the curb where I could see my car. I watched the oil draining from the pan, a nice solid stream of dark oil. Then all of a sudden the genius below caps it. In mid freakin stream! I waited until they were finished and wanted their money. I told the manager that I saw them cap off the oil in mid stream. You would think I was speaking another language, the woman did nothing. I left and called their corporate number thinking I would get some help. It turns out all jiffy lubes are franchises. I got a call back from another manager at the jiffy lube after they heard from corporate. They wouldn't give me my money back, so I went back and got them to redo it.

It has been a few years so I thought I would try another one as I really needed my oil changed in the honda. Well never again, they must have done the same thing as the oil on my dipstick does not look like the same Mobil1 I put in the Runner. New Mobil1 is not that dark.

I guess it is time to buy a lift and jack stands or lift the accord and put on 32s
Old 12-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

the PO of my toyota got a new hood and the truck repainted because of JL. one of the JL punks wanted to listen to the stereo in it, and accidentally bumped the key too far. since the truck starts in gear, i bet you can guess what happened. truck started, drove itself over the end of the lift, hit a pole, and knocked a bunch of crap on the hood/cowl. i could only imagine the look on the kids face when the customers truck started to drive away and hit a pole. JL tried to blame him, because the truck starts in gear. so do all other old trucks. i have several buddy's with old chevvys and fords that do the same thing. the PO took the money, invested in a new hood, and had the rest of the truck repainted. it still has the dented bumper and cowl, but at least all the paint matches now( it was blue with a white bed). i guess they are good for something.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:34 PM

Mikey made it onto YT

Originally posted by miket223
Those damn lube techs! Just use my shop next time. Bring the parts and it's all yours.
Rock on! Glad to see you made it onto YT. I was reading your post and glanced at city and was like whoa another Wenatchee person. I think we are the only "active" wenatchee members on YT. A lube tech is a far cry from what were talking about IMO. When I say lube tech I mean someone that knows what they are doing like some one that works for the stealership or a quality shop. Its these frikkin loser techs that I have issues with. I know ladeedadada I was one at one time but I WAS one and now know how dumb I must have looked to customers like myself. We cheated so many people with our tricks just to make a quick buck and its embarassing to admit I was a loser tech. Moving up into the stealerships was the best thing for me though being I became an honest hard working lube tech and then somehow a security guard. The things we all do. But back onto topic, glad your on YT!
Old 12-23-2003, 05:48 PM

Angry Similar incident when I worked @ a Kwik Lube

Originally posted by joez
the PO of my toyota got a new hood and the truck repainted because of JL. one of the JL punks wanted to listen to the stereo in it, and accidentally bumped the key too far. since the truck starts in gear, i bet you can guess what happened. truck started, drove itself over the end of the lift, hit a pole, and knocked a bunch of crap on the hood/cowl. i could only imagine the look on the kids face when the customers truck started to drive away and hit a pole. JL tried to blame him, because the truck starts in gear. so do all other old trucks. i have several buddy's with old chevvys and fords that do the same thing. the PO took the money, invested in a new hood, and had the rest of the truck repainted. it still has the dented bumper and cowl, but at least all the paint matches now( it was blue with a white bed). i guess they are good for something.
One of the IDGETS finished under the hood and was ready for a start up. I was washing windows and went from the pass side to the dr. side as idget was reaching in to start it up. I had just passed across the front of the truck when screeeeeech BOOM. It kicked over good enough to send the truck driving through our wood & glass bay door. This all happened right in front of the customer that was sitting in the waiting room that is five feet to the right of when the truck crashed at. He was so frikkin pissed off! Guess who was the lucky guy to try to calm him down, me! That was the worst part of working there was covering up things when idget screwed up. :pat: