YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance & Repair Archives (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Fun times @ Jiffy Lube (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f16/fun-times-jiffy-lube-22583/)

Yoter 12-13-2003 12:02 PM

Fun times @ Jiffy Lube

I dont know why I subject myself to letting Jiffy Lube piss me off everytime I decide not to change my own oil. Every time I go to them for a quick 10 minute LOF I sit there for 20 minutes wondering why. Well my last visit was my LAST visit. I get there & the guy is all quick to get to my drivers door to see what kind of service I wanted. I told him a basic LOF with Castrol GTX 1030 & that I really do not need all of the cleaning of windows and vacuuming. So I go in and sit down in the waiting area and first thing one of the guys starts to do is wash my windows & vacuum. I step out and reinform them I do not want that. The reason is cuz its like an extra $5 on my bill. Next thing they do is take forever to finish down below so the top tard can fill it with oil. When the time comes for top tard to fill the oil he starts to pump in Penzoil 1030. Once again I step out to reinform him being the guy I told I want GTX 1030. He says "oh yeah". I go back in and once again sit down. He gets done putting GTX in and starts it then rechecks the oil. He has this look of "uhhhhh". So I start really watching and he goes to tard #2 up top and shows him. Then I see him go and grab another quart of GTX. So I am guessing he put in 5 quarts and thinks it takes more. He gets it all done and tard 2 comes in to ring me up as he called it. They wanted $38 for a basic LOF. I didnt argue I just paid. I asked how many quarts it took and he said um five why, should it take more or less". I said well I guess we will see. Next he's doing his little upsale thing telling me my boxes are dirty. I said well thats funny cuz I changed the front and rear a month ago. He said "oh well I mean the transfer case" So I said ok well I will have to check it out. The next day while filling up at the pumps I checked my oil expecting it to be nearly a quart over. Well surprizingly enough it was right on. That tells me that top tard 1 put 4 frikkin quarts in and frikkin started it. That would have been a reason for his "uhhhhhh" face. I am going to just start doing it myself again. Damn Jiffy Tards!:bang:

amusement 12-13-2003 12:28 PM

I have had similiar problems with Jiffy Lube, Oil Can Henry's and Walmart.

Funny story:

I dropped off my 95 Taco at Jiffy Lube and came back 30 minutes later. The crew of "tards" says the truck rear end is a making noises. The Manager gets in my face and says its not there problem. The "tards" say i need to ring and pinon gears and bearings. The "tards" even say where this work should be done.

Too bad the "tards" are so ignorant. They don't know what a locking differtial is or a lock-rite locker is either.

I drove off with the same clicking noise that I know and love.

Oh yah, Jiffy Lube charts say Toyota 6 cyl takes 5 quarts. It's actually 5.4 or a little more.

Must be oil needed to fill the filter.
Any how, everytime they start the motor and recheck, the engine always needs a little more oil.

You got to be careful with you mess with the "tards". They will break the oil pan drain crush washer or torque the drain bolt so hard it strips when its taken off.

:pissed: :pop: :mad1:

Yoter 12-13-2003 12:49 PM

Thats secretly been one reason ive gone to Jiffy Lube. In hopes that the screw ups will screw up. If they leave the plug loose and it loses its loi and the engine blows they owe me. I keep every one of my reciepts from them as if it were gold. I mean I dont want my engine to go but if it were to I would want it to go on their dime, their $5,000 dime. I was pissed the time before when I went. It was summer still and I had just got my brand new alloy skid plate. After the oil change and I got home I saw oil stains all over it. I was pissed. But I got most of it off and blew it off as an oh well. Oh and yeah its about 5.5 that I put in mine to. I know because every time I do my own LOF I have half a quart left in a bottle to top off between LOF's. I just hate it when tards try to tell me something about my rig that is just not true. The money I put into having these shops do my LOF's should be invested into better oil changing containers, a stock of OEM oil filters and GTX oil that toy loves to death. Seriously, it only costs me $11.40 for my oil, $3.50 for my oil filter totaling $15.90 compared to $38.00 Jiffys tards tinker under my hood.

amusement 12-13-2003 12:55 PM

Jiffy stripped one of my bolts holding the shield. During another visit, simply lost one (both times I discovered the problem).

It's a fact that they will pay for a engine or transmission. I have second hand knowledge from a Folsom, CA Jiffy lube.

Mike06 12-13-2003 04:38 PM

I have never had any problems with Firestone, $10 and I am done.

maverick14213 12-13-2003 04:43 PM

My god, why would you torture your precious toy by taking it to one of them places :nono: . Just goes to show how lovely those places are. One things for certain, noone but me will ever touch mine, im too anal about it and i admit it. Things i cant do will be done by a dealer where i have somewhat faith that they have training to do it. I figure i payed enough money for my baby, its gonna be taken care of right.

Sorry to hear about your horror stories guys but sometimes lessons best learned are hard ones.

Stock02 12-13-2003 06:41 PM

I'm with maverick do your own and rest easy.
;)

X-AWDriver 12-14-2003 05:57 AM

I have a friend who manages a JL so I never have problems and I get the "buddy" discount.

david in germany 12-14-2003 09:33 PM

david lube

I go to david lube..... pick the oil out the day before. run to Toyota for a filter and drain change refill and take the old oil to the recycling center.... deed done. trucks happy wifes is angry about the oily jeans and coupple spots on the driveway..
life is good....
:D
David

Los Gatos? 12-15-2003 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Stock02
I'm with maverick do your own and rest easy.
;)

Yeah but if you mess it up yourself you have to pay for your OWN new engine. :(

SteveO 12-15-2003 06:35 PM

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
I have a friend who manages a JL so I never have problems and I get the "buddy" discount.
Hey....not fair, the buddy discount....:(

Has anybody had any experiences with their automatic transmission flush. It seems they are the only ones that run the flush to truly flush and replace all the oil in the automatics.

Stock02 12-17-2003 03:00 AM

How the heck can ya mess up an oil change?
Even with me being mechanically challenged I have yet to screw one up in my 23 yrs of driving. Gosh that means I'm almost 40!:pat:

Beartracker 12-17-2003 08:11 AM

Wal Mart and happy

When i switched to Mobile1 syn 5-30 i went to Wal mart. They flushed the engine the and changed the filter, checked the tires , washed the windows and greased for $30.00. The same price the last 3 times i had it done there,lol. I watched them do it so i know they put in Mobile 1 syn 5-30. as they got it off the shelf in the automotive dept.
The Mobile 1 and filter cost more than $30.00 but I'm not about to argue with them. They treat me great and i pay and smile as i drive away. Never had a problem with them but i always watch them and they know it. Mike:laugh:

3.4v6 12-18-2003 08:03 AM

i would not recomend jiffy lube to any one especially if your a lady. when i first got my truck my mom took it in for an oil change because i was gone for 2 weeks and she wanted to use my truck. i asked her if she could just do me a favor and get the oil changed. she took it to jiffy lube and they charged her $75.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eeek:FOR MOBILE 1 SYNTHETIC OIL. i highly doubt they would charge me that if i was there, those a**holes

SteveO 12-18-2003 08:16 AM

Has anybody had any experiences with their automatic transmission flush. It seems they are the only ones that run the flush to truly flush and replace all the oil in the automatics.

Toyminator 12-18-2003 08:46 AM

^ Dejavoo?

tuckeraustin 12-18-2003 10:05 AM

Ok now that you have me scared. im never going to take any of my vehicles to any garage except to get new tires. :barf:

phosho 12-18-2003 11:02 AM

ATF flush

They charge 85.00 including fluid. I would bring my own quality fluid and negotiate a price. I hear this is a recommended service
unless you have hade previous tranny problems(overheating),lack of maintenance or high miles. Some times when all is not in order the full flush has a reputation of causing major issues while resolving none. I believe there is some insight on this topic at Gadgets site. My primary concern is that at the same time the flush is done via machine the pan should be dropped cleaned and filter replaced with a new gasket . I cant trust those teenage punks to put my oil cap back on none the less play with my tranny! I sound like a cranky old man already and I'm not even 30 yet :laugh: Hope this helps

http://www.gadgetonline.com/4Run.htm

rimpainter.com 12-18-2003 11:09 AM

I went to change the oil on my friends CRX when he decides to tell me, "oh just so you know, I had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube last time." Oh great. Well little did I know, Jiffy Lube had Arnold screw on the oil filter, which in turn caused the oil seal to bond itself to the block.

So, I go to put on the new oil filter, and fail to realize there are now two seals on the new oil filter. After starting it up and watching 3 quarts of oil leak on to the garage floor, I realized there was a problem.

What can you expect from high school dudes making $5.75/hour?

Yoter 12-18-2003 04:36 PM

You should lube the oil filter gasket. If you dont that dry on dry will bond that filter even tighter being you know they wrench your oil filter on. I swear they tighten them so tight that when you use a wrench to get them off some times you can put quite the twist job on a filter sometimes even splittingi t open. They are simply just flat out idiots. But I to was one of those idiots. I use to run a Kwik Lube or be in charge of the other idiots. I have so many horror stories to tell about them not me. I guarentee I was on the ball knowing what I was doing. They are the chittiest places to work. The one I worked for only payed us once a month and @ minimum wage. We got spiffs being $5 & $10 for upselling crap even if the person didnt need it. Serp belts were the best ones. They actually charged up to $50 for a serpentine belt on some rigs. I was brainwashed into telling people they needed chit they really didnt need. It was all on the name of making myself a good paycheck. I look back and feel so evil for doing what I did but it was a way to make my money. Crappy huh.