Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Engine shampoo ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine shampoo ?

I would like to clean the engine .I have some simple green form a local shop .Is there anything better ?
Old 01-03-2004, 04:34 PM

Better get the dandruff control & make sure you scrub real good. Kiddin. I need to do this also but always forget to ask what works best. I will listen in.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

I've always heard Simple Green is pretty good...but when I looked for it they had what was called an "All-Purpose Cleaner"...not just a degreaser or anything...I will be listening in as well.

Fink
Old 01-04-2004, 03:17 AM

I had my simple green with me tonight and thought I was gonna wash my eng. but the frikkin car wash looks like an ice cavern. The walls and control dials were covered in ice. I kinda said uh forget that and will do it later. Who knows maybe there is a better product out there. I will keep listening. I bet Corey has some good eng. detailing tips for us. Corey?
Old 01-04-2004, 04:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I simply use Gunk Engine Foamy Brite.
It's in a spray can, and comes out like heavy suds.

I spray it on and let it sit for a bit, then rince.
I repeat it once more.

There are some very excellent posts here on this if the database is fully restored.

A lot use this stuff called CRT I think, which includes the cleaner, and a bottle of spray dressing you put back on afterwards.
However the dressing may attract dirt more if you take it off road, I am not sure.

Contact Jason B on that stuff, as he uses it and has before/after pictures of it.

Here's my dirty engine bay from last year or so.
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/e...ash/dirty1.jpg

After using the Gunk stuff.
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/e...ash/clean2.jpg
Old 01-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

WOW! That's a big improvement. Now I would be interested to hear somebody compare the two...Simple Green and Gunk to see which one is better. Corey, should that Gunk be at just a local auto supply store or did you have to order it? Thanks man.

Fink
Old 01-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Any good Auto store that is worthy should carry it.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Which electrical components do I need to cover or look out for before cleaning the engine?
Old 01-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

re

ive used oven cleaner in the past, just drove to the store to get it, then sprayed it one while its hot, let set for a few, then hosed it off, looked pretty good,
Old 01-04-2004, 02:36 PM

Did the engine compartement today .

As per the intructions I wet the engine. Sprayed the Simple Green on and left it for a few minutes .It rinsed off with out a problem.

One thing that I have learned about shampooing engines is NEVER USE A PRESSURE WASHER .

Most electical parts are covered from regular moisture and water .High pressure water will get passed these covers .
Old 01-04-2004, 03:01 PM

I ran into turboale's site and saw his before and after pics of his engine after using Simple Green. I just had to try it after seeing the difference... well it worked great for me.

I didn't take pics of mine but here are pics from turboale's site... hope he doesn't mind:

http://homepage.mac.com/turboale/Engine.htm
Old 01-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

So judging by turboale's pics all you need to cover is the battery?

I'll go to the store and get some Simple Green or Gunk and see what I can do with it!

Fink
Old 01-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

I would also cover the alarm horn (if you have one) it takes a few days for it to dry out if you get water inside and sound terrible during that time.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:04 AM

Mean Green

My wife turned me on to some stuff called "Mean Green" that you can buy at the Dollar store or Dollar General and it's super cheap. I was cleaning the grease form our grill on the patio and when i sprayed it on the grease just ran off like it was water. I was so amazed i trued on my muzzle loaders and it desolved the grease and pwder the same way. Then i sprayed the engine and let it sit for a bit, sprayed it off with a hose and the thing sparkled.
Try it sometime. You will be glad you did. Mike
Old 01-05-2004, 06:22 PM

Gunk and most other engine cleaners have a petroleum base.
I have used them and they do clean well. And I do rinse very well. But your vehicle smells like kerosene for several days afterwards.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by humanoid
Which electrical components do I need to cover or look out for before cleaning the engine?
If you look around in your engine and see any electrical component that is questionable, cover it and clean it via brush/damp terry towel and hand. Battery, alternator, alarm horn, horn, ECU, Mass Airflow Sensor, Fan Relays, fuse box, etc, etc. Foil works well as it conforms to the component.

Originally posted by hatcoleman
Gunk and most other engine cleaners have a petroleum base.
I have used them and they do clean well. And I do rinse very well. But your vehicle smells like kerosene for several days afterwards.
Petroleum-based engine cleaners are also really hard on belts, vacuum hoses and the like. If you are to use a petroleum-based cleaner (for ease of the procedure) I would suggest getting a very good rubber and vinyl dressing like 303 Aerospace Protectant and using it well. Citrus based cleaners like Eimann Fabriks Citrus Engine Degreaser are much easier on rubber, aluminum, the paint in your compartment and don't smell bad at all.

A round brush like the type you find for stenciling and a bunch of foam "q-tips" and you're set. Use low pressure on your hose. I would rather scrub for an hour than have to spray my engine a few times to clean it up. I think that just ups your chances of screwing something up. If you start with a slightly warm engine the grime will be easier to remove.

That's what I do.

-Stu.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by hungryStu
If you look around in your engine and see any electrical component that is questionable, cover it and clean it via brush/damp terry towel and hand. Battery, alternator, alarm horn, horn, ECU, Mass Airflow Sensor, Fan Relays, fuse box, etc, etc. Foil works well as it conforms to the component.

Petroleum-based engine cleaners are also really hard on belts, vacuum hoses and the like. If you are to use a petroleum-based cleaner (for ease of the procedure) I would suggest getting a very good rubber and vinyl dressing like 303 Aerospace Protectant and using it well. Citrus based cleaners like Eimann Fabriks Citrus Engine Degreaser are much easier on rubber, aluminum, the paint in your compartment and don't smell bad at all.

A round brush like the type you find for stenciling and a bunch of foam "q-tips" and you're set. Use low pressure on your hose. I would rather scrub for an hour than have to spray my engine a few times to clean it up. I think that just ups your chances of screwing something up. If you start with a slightly warm engine the grime will be easier to remove.

That's what I do.

-Stu.
Sounds like a plan... thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

I used simple green a little while ago.
I didn't cover up the battery or alternator but didn't spray them directly with the hose. No pressure though - just regular hose. Everything came out pretty clean

I did make it a point to start the engine right after I was done and take a spin around the block to make sure it all worked fine
Old 01-15-2004, 10:55 AM
funglenn

Also you need to be careful, some states/towns have out lawed the use of some of this stuff. If you live next to a busy body neighbor check before you start. But I have used Gunk, it works great, but I think it is now illegal in California.

My two cts...

Old 01-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by funglenn
Also you need to be careful, some states/towns have out lawed the use of some of this stuff. If you live next to a busy body neighbor check before you start. But I have used Gunk, it works great, but I think it is now illegal in California.

My two cts...
Everything is illegal in California, heck even farting will cost ya

Quick Reply: Engine shampoo ?