Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Cleaning the interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning the interior

Hey all,

What recommendations do you have for cleaning/shining the interior (dash/gear shift area/etc)? Do any of you use Armor All or anything at all?
Old 08-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
No Armor All for me, I quit using it several years ago.
All I use is that Tuff Stuff I mention on my detail site.

It comes in a yellow pump spray bottle. I clean the whole inside with it about every 3 weeks or so.
It can be used on carpets, vinyl dash, speedo cluster, vinyl doors, gear shift & console, etc.

It leave no shiny or slippery residue when it dries. It just leaves the surface clean.
In between interior wash downs, I use the California Dash Duster.
It too gets used on the whole interior, and in less than 5 minutes, all the dust that settles on stuff is gone.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/mod37f.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/mod37e.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/mod37g.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/mod37j.jpg

They also make it in a spray can that foams so you can do your fabric seats or carpet with it.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:55 AM

303 Protectant and Tuff-Stuff does just about everything.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

I third nominate Tuff stuff, amour-all ate up my steering wheel on my old 4Runner.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

where is a good place to get tuff-stuff? Wally world?
Old 08-27-2002, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Wally World? Sounds like a cheezy used car lot...hehe!

Try your local Kragen, Chuck's, or something else they call themselves. Any parts store should have the "stuff".
Old 08-28-2002, 01:36 PM

I use Armor-All, but it sounds as if this Tuff Stuff is great stuff. What is the benefits of using it over AA? I might want to switch... :fireman:
Old 08-28-2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
I use Armor-All, but it sounds as if this Tuff Stuff is great stuff. What is the benefits of using it over AA? I might want to switch... :fireman:
AA is like Vaseline on your hair while Tuff Stuff is like shampoo. One is not a replacement for the other; one adds a film while the other cleans the surface.

AA puts a greasy shine on the vinyl that GREATLY adds to window filming and a slimy (to me, at least) feel to the vinyl.

The replacement for the AA that I prefer is the 303 Protectant. It leaves a dry, satiny finish that doesn't outgas so it doesn't add film to the windows and doesn't attract dust.

Do a search for 303 Protectant. There are many uses and it's highly recommended as a protectant by a number of vinyl product manufacturers.

BTW, I don't remember ever getting anything on my carpet that Tuff Stuff wouldn't remove.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

BTW, I don't remember ever getting anything on my carpet that Tuff Stuff wouldn't remove.
Thats awesome, cause I got some major cleaning that needs to be done to this truck when I get it saturday and the carpet is one of the biggest things.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:09 AM

konarske, so you are saying that the Tuff stuff is only a cleaner and does not put a finish on the vehicle? I mean in that case, what do you use to protect everything? Is that what you mean about the 303? I should first clean it with Tuff Stuff and then add a protectant? :fireman:
Old 08-29-2002, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
konarske, so you are saying that the Tuff stuff is only a cleaner and does not put a finish on the vehicle? I mean in that case, what do you use to protect everything? Is that what you mean about the 303? I should first clean it with Tuff Stuff and then add a protectant? :fireman:
Yup. The TS makes a very clean, matte finish on the dash, etc., that looks much like brand new vinyl. If you want a very soft shine add the 303.

Not everyone uses a protectant; it just depends how you want it to look when you're done.

BTW, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who's used either product say it didn't exceed their expectations.

One other point: I've found that TS works on our vinyl pool liner as well or better than anything else I've tried. Not perfect, but better and cheaper than anything else.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:58 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ryan, I only use the Tuff Stuff, and I don't put any protectant on afterwards on anything.

Take note my rigs sits out in the direct sun all day, and the stuff alone keeps my dash soft and I have no cracks or fading on it.
The stuff really does work.
It's all I use inside.
Corey
Old 08-29-2002, 07:16 AM

WOW - I have out-Grioted Corey!

I am using the Griots Vinyl & Rubber Dressing and I am very pleased with the results. I like the fact it is biodegradable (or that it claims to be). However, I do not like the price $29.95 :eek:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1006&SKU=11169

Fortunately, you don't need to use a lot of this or any interior protectant/cleaner etc, so that bottle will go a long way. Griots also sells a cleaner, and I used that to take off the remaining Armor All that was on both my vehicles. It did a really nice job.

Note - I used Armor All exclusively on my old truck and never had a problem in the nine years I owned it.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:46 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he, I have seen their cleaner in the catalogs.
Have been tempted to try it, but the Tuff Stuff works so well for me, there is no need to switch.

Reminds me, gotta do the clay, and wax before too long. Probably in late September, and that will be the last wax job until next April or May.
Corey
Old 08-30-2002, 04:38 PM

Thx for the info! I will try out Tuff Stuff & 303 Protectant as soon as I find the products. Things aren't always as easily accessible here in Canada.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i just bought some tuff stuff at wal-mart. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow when I'm deep cleaning this truck.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Corey
Ryan, I only use the Tuff Stuff, and I don't put any protectant on afterwards on anything.

Take note my rigs sits out in the direct sun all day, and the stuff alone keeps my dash soft and I have no cracks or fading on it.
The stuff really does work.
It's all I use inside.
Corey
So where can you pick up something like this? I am interested in trying it and what is the brand name? Is it Tuff Stuff? Also, so you just put it on and wipe it off? Thanks! :fireman:
Old 08-30-2002, 06:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/tuff_stuff.jpg

Just spray on a rag, then buff it in. Just like you would normaly wash the interior.
The stuff really works, and is all you really need.

Do you have Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen's, Walmart, ect?
They all carry it.

Also comes in a pressurized foam can for carpet cleaning, and seats.
Though it's the same exact stuff as this.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Foam tuff-stuff at walmart - 2.44$ I need more bottles of it or go rent a steam cleaner, i've already went through one bottle of the foam stuff in less than half an hour this morning.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Krash
Foam tuff-stuff at walmart - 2.44$ I need more bottles of it or go rent a steam cleaner, i've already went through one bottle of the foam stuff in less than half an hour this morning.
Howzit working for you?

Quick Reply: Cleaning the interior