Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Auto tranny acts funny ...PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto tranny acts funny ...PLEASE HELP!

got a serious problem with my tranny after it warms up. It will shift in and out of gears, bog down to the point that its about to stall, and do all sorts of wierd crap on me. i just replaced all the solenoids in it because i was getting codes. No codes are present after i changed out the solenoids. i know most of you have 5 speeds but do any of you guys have any suggestions. i replaced my temp sensor, tps and the solenoids but nothing seems to work. my shift cable is dialed in and my fluid level is correct...please help my before i sell this thing!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by toyotaoffroad91
please help my before i sell this thing!
Is that a threat of some sorts?

I doubt any real help through a text forum is possible given the vague symptoms. And the fact that you have a fairly complicated mechanism there, an automatic transmission, that you performed an amateur DIY job on.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

and what is this tranny in that might help
Old 04-17-2005, 09:39 AM

a340f...i will add the the tranny ran sick for a month after the solenoids were replaced. i was getting a 62 and 64. no codes are currently present.until this started. toyota says just a drain and refill the tranny only hold 1.8 quarts.this cant be right becaus 1.8 isnt even showing on my di[stick. im thinking my torque converter is suckin some air in it but im not sure.......and 4runner who are you calling an amateur exactly?

Last edited by toyotaoffroad91; 04-17-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:59 PM

You if you let them put 1.8 quarts of tranny oil in it as it takes 4.8 .
Old 04-17-2005, 02:10 PM

a340f...i will add the the tranny ran sick for a month after the solenoids were replaced. i was getting a 62 and 64. no codes are currently present.until this started. toyota says just a drain and refill the tranny only hold 1.8 quarts.this cant be right becaus 1.8 isnt even showing on my di[stick. im thinking my torque converter is suckin some air in it but im not sure
I'm a little unclear of the background and current situation. As I understand it, the AT started to act up, you checked the codes and read 62 and 64. You replaced the #1 and lockup solenoid? When you had the pan down, what sort of debris was in the pan and on the filter screen? There should have been several magnets throughout the pan that pickup steel particles (bearing, gear, clutch).

How are you checking the ATF? With the transmission warmed up (driven) and the engine idling on flat ground? The 4.8 quarts is more or less a guide but you need to make sure you are filling it up and reading the dipstick properly. I flushed my transmission the other day and ran 12 quarts through it...
Old 04-17-2005, 03:37 PM

tranny is really clean on the inside. just a thin layer of normal film on the magnets. What is that 1.8 quart fill for then. i just put 2.5 in an it seems better. yesterday i put around 4 in and the truck felt like a dog. it seems to rev up and go better when i have less. i replaced the lockp and the 2 shift solenoids. but the thing is i didnt use toyota ones i got aftermarket ones. i am not getting codes either. do you think i need a flush. my fluid is pretty clean
Old 04-17-2005, 04:12 PM

tranny is really clean on the inside. just a thin layer of normal film on the magnets. What is that 1.8 quart fill for then. i just put 2.5 in an it seems better. yesterday i put around 4 in and the truck felt like a dog. it seems to rev up and go better when i have less. i replaced the lockp and the 2 shift solenoids. but the thing is i didnt use toyota ones i got aftermarket ones. i am not getting codes either. do you think i need a flush. my fluid is pretty clean
I am getting the impression that you are adding fluid without really checking fluid level properly. In either case, not enough fluid or too much fluid will cause problems. You have to make sure the trans is filled properly, this means you have to check the fluid level in the correct manner. The trans should be up to operating temp, and on level ground. Shift it through the gears several times, and leave it idling in park. The fluid level should be at the 'HOT' mark on the dip stick. Pull the stick, wipe it clean with a dry cloth, and then put the stick in until it seats and then pull it for final check. If it is overfull by more than 1/4", drain fluid until it is at level. If still below level, add fluid in 1/4 pint increments, checking each time, until full. If it is still acting up after fluid level is correct, then further diagnostics are needed. Also, make sure you are using the correct fluid for the trans. Toyota trans are very fussy about the fluid type. If you have mixed the incorrect type of fluid in it. You will need to have a complete flush and exchange of fluid before you go any further.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:17 PM

well i added a quart drived, added, drived, i had it at the hot mark when it was hot...maybe a tiny bit to much but then i started to smell funny things and i tiny tiny hum from my torque converter or pump as heard
Old 04-18-2005, 02:53 PM

I wouldn't worry about adding aftermarket vs. "toyota" shift solenoids. It is important to have the right fluid level. Too little or too much will probably trash all sorts of parts. I'm surprised the pan was fairly clean. I dropped my pan for the first time when I changed a couple of solenoids two years ago and had a fair amount of steel on all of the magnets (sorta like a magnetic sludge).

To reiterate what TechWrench said make sure the level is correct and you used the correct fluid (Dexron III).

If the fluid type and level is good, you probably damaged the transmission and need to have it checked by an expert. You could at least take it to a technician that is familiar with the Aisin A340 series and get their opinion on repairs.

Last edited by 89_4runner; 04-18-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:57 PM

well i got the fluid right and it seems a lot better.. the only time it shifted a little funny why when i got of the highway and i smelt something burning. nothing is leaking externally, do you think an aftermarket tranny cooler would be a good investment. hey 4rocrunner, the part you are talking about is called a valve body. very complexed contraption.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:27 AM

well i got the fluid right and it seems a lot better.. the only time it shifted a little funny why when i got of the highway and i smelt something burning. nothing is leaking externally, do you think an aftermarket tranny cooler would be a good investment.
Hopefully the main issue was fluid level and maybe nothing got damaged.

I've never had issues with my transmission running hot, but several folks on the board have talked about adding them. I think it's more important to change the fluid every 30k miles. If the tranny is running hot I guess you could add a cooler, but I would think something else is probably wrong if there's a temperature problem.

Don't assume that if you smell something burning that it's the transmission fluid. Maybe some fluid dripped on the exhaust or engine when filling, maybe it's oil, etc. You can pull the dipstick and check the color and smell of the ATF. The fluid should be red and not smell burned. I just drained my transmission and transfer case and both still had nice red fluid after 35k miles.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:46 PM

added the tranny cooler today and i must say i am impressed. seem to make it shift smoother in to o/d on the highway also. i think im just smelling fuems made by the engine being that a always rev it out so much