Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

f150 5.0 in 95 runner-lots of q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
f150 5.0 in 95 runner-lots of q's

i have a 95 runner with a 3.0 and automatic . engine getting ready to explode catastrophically. lo and behold a buddy of mine has a 95 f150 4x4. 5.0 manual trans . he just lacks the skills to drive standard. so i'm getting it cheap. how hard should it be to swap motor and trans. i know the transfercase is on wrong side. that can be solved with a waggy 44 sas that can happen at same time. i have done several carbed engine swaps, never a efi. i just need to find out how hard the wiring would be . can i just separate the entire harness and run just a few wires from the ecu to the truck? is there any way to get a schematic for this engine harness? and i did search but no one goes into detail on their swaps.i know i'll need mounts for engine and trans , i can weld or fabricate most of the things i need. i just lack any experience with efi. once i can figure out this harness thing it will be under way. much help and much thanks.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:38 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a semi popular swap, you will need an advanced adapter to connect to your trucks t-case unless you plan on making the fords work.

The big swap is usually a chevy 350 or 4.3L as they tend to fit better.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've done a couple 350's and a 327. just want to try something different. always been a chevy/yota guy. but lately ford 5.0's have been catching my eye and i just got offered 1
Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can run the engine by just giving the power to the comp and starter. You dont need to wire anything from the dash if you dont want to. You basically have the comp to control the EFI. youll need the ignition to start it and have that power go to the comp while in that process.

I would get the schematics for both exact yr/m/m of trucks and go from there on what you need to wire to the dash/ ignition to the engine harness.

You can get the schematics for the toyota from them or techinfo.toyota.com as for the ford I dont know but I would go to ford and ask for them.. Toyota has printed me copies many times.

If you dont know wiring very well this may prove to be pretty difficult but if you take the time and learn about it it becomes quit simple.

Good luck
Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4bytruckin
i just need to find out how hard the wiring would be . can i just separate the entire harness and run just a few wires from the ecu to the truck? is there any way to get a schematic for this engine harness?
Painless Wiring makes a complete wiring harness for that engine but it's not all that difficult to recover the engine wiring from the donor truck. A whole lot cheaper, too. Just work one wire at a time. Not engine related? Remove it. Engine related? Trace to the destination and label it. After a while, you get the ECM and all the wiring hanging over the fender with nothing connected between the running engine and the donor truck. Then just pluck it out of the Ford and drop it into the Toyota just like that.

A factory service manual for the Ford will have the schematics you want, but you can probably find copies on the web that will be enough. I needed diagrams for my truck and the Chevy TPI V8 and found both online for free.

Hey - I swapped an automatic in place of an original 5-speed. You're going the other way? Interested in trading pedal assemblies? Master cylinder and reservoir included.