Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

4.3 chevy to 87 toyota pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.3 chevy to 87 toyota pickup

Hello everyone. I know that there is countless threads out there on swapping these engines into a Toyota. However most of them are for fuel injected engines and really don't give much help or advice. So I'm going to start a new thread here and hopefully you guys can help me with all your information.

Okay here's the verdict.......
I have a 1987 Toyota pickup. Factory 22R carbureted engine along with a 5 speed tranny.
I also have a complete 4.3 engine from a 91 2wd Chevy S10 with only 41000 original miles.

I want to swap my 22R for the 4.3. I do not want to change trannys so a adapter will be purchased. The 4.3 will also be swapped over to carb instead of throttle body. As far as motor mounts they will be purchased as well. So basically I know exactly what I'm doing and what I need so this is we're my thread gets important.

I have no lift on my truck except for 2" balljoint spacers. I refuse to install a body lift. I do not have a diff drop kit either. So is this going to be a problem?

Wiring shouldn't be no problem considering that I'm sticking with carb. All gauges should work with splicing the wires to the new connectors. My truck has no tach so that won't be a problem either.

Cooling: this here may be a problem. Will there be enough clearance between core support and engine for a new radiator and electric fan since I'm using stock drivetrain in its stock location.

Okay that pretty much sums it up, now for the hard part...... MONEY....... I'm not on too much of a limited budget however when I do this swap I need it to be done kinda quick so money will be a little tight at first. So we're is the best place to get the things I need.
Advance Adapters is the only place that I'm aware of. They carry a complete swap kit but its a little pricy. Is there any other places out there that also carry swap kits that may be a little more price competitive.

All tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated. This here is not going to be a swap that I'm doing here within the next month. It will be awhile before I do it. I will need to get everything together before I start because this is my everyday driver. Besides my little 22R runs like a champ. (Lots of engine work done to get it there)
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 PM

This should've been started under domestic swap. I never even thought about that. If a admin would like to move it that's fine and thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok well , where to start ....

Advanced adapter's price's are usually more than where they sell elsewhere.
Look around . Now might be a good time to buy " holiday discount ".

Search around for info alot .

If your 22r's running great are you sure you want to swap it out , why not work on other thing's?
I swapped in a 94 gm 4.3 cpi . It's great, lot's of power , super easy to work on but....
It's cost's more than i thought it would , took a long time to do " I wanted it to look factory " and i get 13 mpg .
My friend did a swap with a " 4.3 tbi " and gets 11 mpg .
A truck might get a little better mpg .

What if you need to move motor and tranny back ?
Can you weld or fab ?
Exhaust " y pipe " needs to be custom made .
Thought about auto tranny ? Now would be the time . I did and i dont think i will ever go back to stick.
Doing a swap was a lot work . But it was really fun and i learned alot.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Fabrication is no problem to me. I'm a wv certified welder an I also have plenty of resources here for other tools that I do not have. I'd really like to do the swap although I want everything to go as smoothly as possible that's why I'm turning to you guys. I will not be using a y pipe as I'm going to use the conversion headers that AA has then duals from there. But like I ask I want all tips and so on before I start. Then once I start I will keep everyone informed as I go. But thanks a lot for responding
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM

I have a 90 tbi 4.3 that I really want to swap into my 92 extended cab.
I'll be watching this thread closely.
I did'nt realize the gas milage would be that bad, guess there are no free rides.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM

Like to see how it goes. i have a summit alum radiator with a 16" puller fan and it clears my 350 and i didnt cut my firewall for the distributor so my engine sets a little foreword. I did cut out my core support and move my radiator foreward then built a new support from 1" square tube, but i would think you should be ok for radiator clearance with the 4.3. Subscribed.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM

I am about to order a 4.3 to go into my 86 toyota pickup, I need all the help and advice I can get. Planning to stick with toyota 5 speed and use the advanced adapter setup. Do I really need a suspension lift? And can I get away with using the stock radiator?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Yes you can use the stock radiator . Don't know about lift cause i have a soa.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Still deciding if im going to go with a carbureted engine or battle the wire with the fuel injection. Id like to get halfway decent mileage when I pull my 18 ft bowfishing boat
Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM

I have a 94 p/u ifs with an 89 tbi 700r4 trans and toy t-case. T-case in stock position. Bought the nwor pan to clear the diff. raised the body 1" used stock toy radiator, hoses are kind of a mess and I haven't found a fan yet (live in maine and don't wheel). bought block hugger headers. Stock toy fuel pump. used stock toy alternator. Need a thinner front driveshaft to clear tranny pan. Some of these problems you will not have using stock tranny. My truck looks the same as it did stock, just sounds better and smokes a 3.slo. Overall pretty easy swap. Wiring required a little thinking but you are running carb so its a no brainer. Also I see 14-16 Mpg with 31's if I drive like a ˟˟˟˟˟. I rebuilt my TBI so thats the best I will see.

Last edited by Joeyota509; 02-13-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to add MPG
Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM

I'm a newb, just throwing that out there so there isn't any confusion on my silly questions...I have a 1984 Toy Ext 4x4, swapping out the 22r for the 4.3 w/carb as well...Had a few mechanics try and fail on the 22r to switch it to fuel injected(long story), but they destroyed my wiring harness and ecm.

So, my question is do I have to get another wiring harness and ecm to splice into for anything? Are all my gauges going to work? The 4x4 light? etc? And then if I need one, I am having a tough time finding out which ecm to get? I'm really at a loss, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM

I guess another question...what does the ECM control? Can I go without it?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 AM

ECM is for your motor efi control . The truck electrical does not need it. If your 4.3 is carburated then it does not need a computer. Yes you can hook up all your gauges. You need to buy a factory Toyota electrical manual for your truck . Try eBay .