Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Looking to SAS in Albuquerque, NM

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to SAS in Albuquerque, NM

Hey guys. Not sure if im in the right forum here. Im in Albuquerque, NM and recently picked up a solid front axle for my 93 ext cab pickup. Just curious if there is anyone near me that has done a SAS, coils or leafs? Also, did you do the work yourself or have a local shop do it? Thanks for any help guys.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:59 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can't do it, it's gonna be EXPENSIVE.

First - are you sure you really need a SAS? Are you locked and geared and seriously can't do trails because of lack of articulation or excessive breakage? Have you tried removing the front swaybar?

Of course, it's your truck, you're welcome to do as you please, I just don't like to see people spend thousands of dollars they don't have to. I've run some of the hardest trails in CO and some of the harder in Farmington, and my lack of willingness to accept body damage has limited me MUCH more than the front suspension design.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There isn't anyone within a million miles of Alb that will do it. Just drop the axle off at my house, forget about this silly SAS notion and consider yourself wiser for having dodged the proverbial bullet. I'll take care of that darn axle for you and you won't ever have to worry about it again.

I honestly don't know of anyone around here that does that sort of thing. You may talk to the guys over a desert rat offroad and they might know someone.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 PM

TC i appreciate your opinion. I do agree that it is expensive. I understand that. But right now, Im going to need to replace the cv axles soon and I would like to do a locker up front as well, and the shocks are in need of replacement soon too. I am at stock height also, and the cost of a lift kit is up there. I figure that with all these things needing to be done, I might as well go for the SAS, being as I am sure it will cost close to that in the end for all those other parts. And have a much better system.

Junkers, Im sure youll take the axle off my hands. If I decide to let it go, you will be the first to know. haha. I will talk to desert rat and 4wheel parts guys and see what they know. I know there is a guy in fort collins, co that will do it....just kinda far. Im sure I can do the prep work very easily. My only thing is that I have never welded before and dont trust that I could weld something safe. On a side note, is your truck a daily driver? How does it perform with the aussie on and off road? I really want to go with an aussie in the rear axle but wanna make sure that it will still be road worthy. Thanks man. Once I have enough confidence in my truck, youll have to show me around the local trails.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try Marlin Crawlers forum or TTORA. They both have a whole section loaded with info on Solid Axle swaps. If you bought a Trail Gear kit don't go to Marlin's site you'll get flamed.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36
Old 10-17-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah my rig is a DD. The Aussie in the rear does really well although you will have to learn how to drive with it in there. It'll lock up in a turn if you're on the skinny pedal and the inside tire will chirp a little, other than that it's pretty much plug and play.

I haven't been to one single trail here in Albuquerque. Every time I think I've got a weekend free to do some wheeling something comes up. Usually military related...... or work...... dang it. The last time I was out on a trail was out near Gallup (sort of) with Jeeps West and the New Mexico 4 Wheelers Assoc. The Aussie did great and I went a lot of places that I really thought I couldn't go. Of course the Jeep guys picked on me a little since I was the only Toy in the group and the only one on smaller than 35" tires, still followed them all over the place.

I've got to say that the Aussie is the best dang thing that I've done to the rig so far. And it went in in less time than you think it would take. As far as you wanting to go SAS and me wanting that axle....... yeah I was kidding. So far I haven't found anything that is so hard to climb that my front IFS was the limiting factor. I'll stick with the factory stuff and add a little lift and run with it. Good luck on your SAS quest and be sure and post up some pictures of before and after.

Laters.

Last edited by Junkers88; 10-17-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wancosc356
TC i appreciate your opinion. I do agree that it is expensive. I understand that. But right now, Im going to need to replace the cv axles soon and I would like to do a locker up front as well, and the shocks are in need of replacement soon too. I am at stock height also, and the cost of a lift kit is up there. I figure that with all these things needing to be done, I might as well go for the SAS, being as I am sure it will cost close to that in the end for all those other parts. And have a much better system.
OK, lets add up some rough numbers:

Fix what you got:
CV's (2) - $140 with lifetime warranty from Autozone, Advance, etc
Locker - $200 lunchbox style (Aussie, Lockright, etc)
Shocks (4) - $160 several different versions of ProComp or Rancho
TOTAL: $500 - you can do all this labor yourself EASY

SAS:
Axle - $250
Locker - $200 lunchbox, as above
SAS Kit - $1100
Rear lift - $600 to match the new height
Longfields - $665 (Because you're fooling yourself if you don't do them)
Install - $2000 (three days at an average shop rate of $85/hr)
Wheels/tires - $1000
TOTAL: $5815
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM

^You forgot gears.

And you don't need longs. Just carry extra birfs with you

I need to buy my longs already... My stockpile of birfs is dwindling by the weekend!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Why would you spend $600 for the rear lift when you can get the springs from TG for half that?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I am running my second V8 Toy with a SFA and have yet to break a birf. I guess it just depends on how you drive and/or abuse your rig!!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 PM

I hear you TC. I guess Im just the type to go ahead and get it done while im down there. And if Im gonna invest the money, it might as well go towards what I want for the long haul. I actually found a place that would do the front and rear, running out the door for under 3k. That doesnt include birfs, gears or lockers...but it seems to be a good deal considering. And I will get all of that too while its getting done.

The $500 sure will help out towards the goal
Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Wow. It's your truck and your money...

All I'm sayin' is if I had $2500 burning a hole in my pocket, I could think of better ways to spend it that would increase the offroad capability of the rig FAR more than a SAS will.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 PM

^You're right. Definitely 4-link it
Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 PM

But anyways, the smart frugal thing to do is build up your current setup, upgrade, and sell your old stuff. You jack up the front a little bit with balljoint spacers and whatnot, and either get longer shackles or blocks or add-a-leaf's or lift springs or chevy springs, find yourself a good deal on whatever tires you want (sell your old), regear if needed (sell your old), buy a lockers, armor up, then sas it (sell your front 3rd locker and spacers), then bobby long everything, then hydro the front, then link the rear (sell your old lift), then link the front (sell what you can salvage off the front), then buy dana60s and gear and lock em (sell your toy axles), then buy bigger tires, then chromo the 60s out, then find some deuce.5's and link em up (sell the d60s), and then you're just about done. With the suspension that is. Then you can have fun with the frame and body...

Oh and somewhere in between there, a 2nd mortgage may be required. Unless you got more money than I want to hear about, then you can just skip ahead to whichever step you want. lol
Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 PM

wow. i never thought that I would catch this much negative appeal towards doing a sas. Im not made of money but I just thought that sas was the way to go. is there anyone out there that thinks I should go for the sas? im not in a hurry to do this, nor do i have the money yet. I dunno
Old 10-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Hell, I'm all for the SAS. There aint a thing in the world wrong with buying all the parts you need piece by piece over time, if that's what you wanna do. Most folks around here prefer to wheel what they have to the maximum potential, then upgrade bit by bit. Where I'm content to let it sit in the garage for a month or two until I save the funds to do what I want to it.

I'm like you, I'd rather have it all at one time. I'd probably never have done any project if I just bought it piece by piece. I just add up what I want will cost, save the beer money towards that end, call up the company, and sit there staring in awe at my bank statement wondering what the hell I just spent 3 grand on because I forgot I ordered a new truck from the frame down and it hasn't arrived yet.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm of the mindset that you take what you have and make it work. When you find it doesn't work for what you want to do, then you think about re-engineering it.
Until then... you may find you end up perfectly happy with just some peaks and tweaks to what you have.
But if you go all out from the get go, you may find that you've done more than you needed or wanted and aren't happy with how things turned out.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah im with you brother.. i have a stock ifs trail rig which i love.. but nothing beats the look and the preformance ive seen of some s.a.s yotas on chebbies around here... THATS the truck i want... albeit with a cruiser axle cuz i like the width more...

do what makes you happy..
buy it peice by peice and when you have it all and money have up take it to aplace they can weld all the hanger on while your ifs is on...

then take it home break out the sawzall and grinder and have atr.... then bolt on your s.a.s

it is true that most people who s.a.s dont need it.. but that there problem.

if your gonna wheel the snot outta your rig i would s.a.s armor lock cage and just crush it every weeekend if you have the money ALL THE POWER TOO YOU!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wancosc356
wow. i never thought that I would catch this much negative appeal towards doing a sas. Im not made of money but I just thought that sas was the way to go. is there anyone out there that thinks I should go for the sas? im not in a hurry to do this, nor do i have the money yet. I dunno
Once again, it's YOUR truck. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate a bit and presenting the other side.

Originally Posted by SwampThing
^You're right. Definitely 4-link it
If something is BROKE, I am all for upgrading it while you're in there. I wouldn't consider worn out CV's broke.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah the boot is torn its not a snapped a xle shaft!! and with your 2 jack trick it takes no time!

Quick Reply: Looking to SAS in Albuquerque, NM