Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Shoe Creek/Flagpole Rd trip PLUS The Drive By Truckers Fri Mar 28 - Richmond VA

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoe Creek/Flagpole Rd trip PLUS The Drive By Truckers Fri Mar 28 - Richmond VA

Hey ya'll,

My 4x4 & camping crew is planning a trip to the Virginia Mountains (Shoe Creek, Big Levels, Flagpole Rd) March 28-30 starting it all off by going to see the Drive By Truckers in Richomond, VA that Friday night. We plan to see the show and head up to the trail that night. If you guys don't know about the DBT go here: www.drivebytruckers.com. If you like to rawk, you'll love these guys. There are some decent pictures and videos on YouTube and if you search Google on Shoe Creek 4x4, Big Levels 4x4 etc. The main trails are fairly tame but there are tons of fun obstacles and side trails that will bend up your rocker panels if you're not protected.

Anyway, if you are interested in joining up with us, please give all holler to me here on YT. Maybe send a private message? We are a good time partying group. We ain't no "club". We don't use spotters and we are NOT "trail rated" :-)

See you out there!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:03 AM

Nope....not a Yota only trip. We are an equal opportunity wheeling group. We've got Yotas, Jeeps, some full sized Chevys, a Dodge and even an Bronco II. C'mon along.

Also...we've just decided today to do a tril to Shoe Creek the weekend of Feb 8-10. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM

yeah im down for the 8th and 10th
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by johnsenpa
yeah im down for the 8th and 10th
Vesuvius?? Wow...that's the ONLY place to get beer near Crabtree Falls or Montebello. I get beers at that little place right after the tracks on the right. Always smells like fried stuff in there. :-0

BTW---we'll be camping at the bottom (opposite end from Vesuvius) at either the 1st or 3rd water crossing. We'll probably get there between 4 and 5 pm on Friday afternoon.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 AM

right on I will see yall down there
Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 PM

Where will you'll be meeting at & around what time Sat the 9th prior to wheeling? Cause i have to work Fri night but interested on going Sat. Proberly roll down there too on the 30th of march. Ive been wanting to go there just never have. Im having problems as of now finding directions. I would be coming from Harrisonburg. Feel free to private message me giving me info on this. Thanks...

Last edited by Issues; 01-31-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Here are the directions. They are right on. I have given these to folks who have never been there before and they found it alright. We will probably stay at the first water crossing camp site (can't miss that either). We usually stay higher up but a friend is comming with his brand new v e r y l o n g Tundra. He doesn't want to ding it so we'll camp in that first spot. You'll see a black yota regualr cab, a blue regular cab Dodge and a gold Tundra.

Take 81 to 64 East

(got this part from Google maps)

Take the exit 99 for Rt 250 east (I think this is the the exit after the rest area……but I’m not sure).

Take a right on 151.

Take a RIGHT on 778 near the quad dealer.

Take a RIGHT on 666 after the moose lodge.

Take a RIGHT onto 666 again at a bridge and a church.

Take a LEFT on 827 where there should be a closed and a temp bridge.

Take a RIGHT on 745 where there is a narrow steel bridge down a hill.

Follow this road into the forest and cross one stream and you're there.

Last edited by Trail_Banger; 02-01-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the directions, planning on being there. What time Sat should i try to be there by before you all head for the trails?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 AM

And also, i havent got chains for my wheels. Will this be a problem?

Last edited by Issues; 02-02-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Nope...If you are coming from Harrisonburg you should go east on 64.

We usually start to hit the trails around 10:00am. So, you have plenty of time to get there.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:06 PM

I'm running shoe creek tonight on my way out to my buddies farm and Ill let ya know how it is, with this weather I'm not sure how necessary chains will be but definitely bring em if you got em.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 AM

Sweet!

How was the trail? Any snow? Any ice?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Count me in

Myself and 2 to 3 others will be attending the show and the weekend of wheeling and camping. Can't wait. The weekend of the 28th trip.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 AM

I wasn't able to get out there due to the fact that he came over to fire up my forge instead. However, due to the fact that this winter has provided us with a 72 degree bright sunny day. I think it will be highly unlikely to find snow or ice. Unless we get some precipitation and the temperature dives back down I think we will just be looking at wet conditions. But ya never know. Stranger things have happened.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 AM

I found the trails by accident yesterday..........I was raining/misting so the trails were a bit wet, but no snow to speak of. I just may join the crew Saturday if i can find you guys.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 AM

I know that rock well...the one in your picture. I've pulled my buddy's Rubicon off it twice going in the other direction. We'll hit slick rock while we're at Shoe Creek too. Go to www.youtube.com and search on Shoe Creek 4x4. There are a bunch of vids of guys trying to get up that big rock. BTW--the rock in the my login picture is near Harrisonburg. We may head out that way if we can get up early enough. Anyway....

We'll be at the 1st water crossing (opposite end from Crabtree). There will be a black Toyota truck, a gold Tundra, a blue Ram 1500, a green Jeep and a white F350. You can't miss us. Ask for Jim. :-)

Last edited by Trail_Banger; 02-07-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 PM

Where are the trails?

TB, where do you go exactly, I when this weekend to check it out and do some recon with my bro and a friend, and we found a good trail, but not anything like what is on utube. I followed your directions to Forest road 63 and went allthe way to were 1176 and 48 crossroad 63 but nothing like utube. Just wandering because I can't go now but my people will be in my stead, just wantyed to get them hooked up with you guys and they won't be able, i'm sure, to find you at alley cats or whereever the show is. I appreciate it dude.

Bdog
Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 AM

Little change in plans here.

I am moving soon and will not be able to lead this trip so.....I hope ya'll just go anyway.

Tear it up!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:28 AM

Beautiful weather for some wheeling

well I can be there if people want to know about a bunch of trails there. If there is an interest of people to go then I will be out there considering I just finished up grinding/hammering/priming the rear driver side quarter panel after one of my weekly night runs out at shoe creek when i tried a pretty arly line up slick rock. But I didn't work out. I was close.

Yes that is I going up the big rock that everyone goes down and that you had to pull your buddies rubicon off of. Almighty toyota
Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 AM

Rock on dude! The approach to that rock is getting pretty rutted. Have you tried slick rock/suicide rock? It's off that left side spur after ther 3rd water crossing? I can get the rear tires up on it, then my open diffs do what they were designed to do....spin.

Do a youtube search on Shoe Creek 4x4. There some cool footage of guys trying to get up. Some actually make it.

Quick Reply: Shoe Creek/Flagpole Rd trip PLUS The Drive By Truckers Fri Mar 28 - Richmond VA