Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

eastern washington trail ride aug 19th

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eastern washington trail ride aug 19th

paul yelk from wattora is planning this exploratory ride up in the colville national forest. jsut thought id post it up over here to see if anyone here is interested also . heres a copy of his email he sent me

This posting replaces, supersedes, obsoletes, etc. all previous postings on this subject!

On Saturday August 19th, an 'exploratory' trail ride in the Colville Nat'l Forest will occur.

Meeting place and time: 8:00 AM - Rosauer's at the "Y" in Spokane (about one-half block north of the "Y"; easily accessible from either US 2 or US 395).
If you are coming from the central or western part of the state and want to meet us in Kettle Falls, please e-mail me in advance!

We will then convoy up to Kettle Falls - approximately 75 miles. The trails begin approximately 12 miles west of Kettle Falls.

I have been advised by the Ranger that these trails are a 3 with a couple of places a 3-1/2 based upon the following scale:
1: All weather road; 4WD not needed.
1-1/2: Graded road; 4WD may be needed in poor weather.
2: Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required.
2-1/2: Road rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, low gears often needed, with some extra care and a bit of driving experience useful.
3: Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, and low gears essential, with some driving skill and daring required.
3-1/2: Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill and daring needed.
4: Trail either never bladed or badly eroded. Stock vehicles are in jeopardy. Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed.
4 +: Not much concerned with vehicle durability or personal safety. It is common to have as many as 10 percent of the vehicles experience major mechanical failures (gears, axles, drive shafts) on these trails.
Since I have not been on these trails, I can not verify if this is correct or not. And the mileages I have compiled for the various portions of this trail ride may not be correct - we'll have to see! Additionally, if it is rainy, the scale will probably advance from a 3 / 3-1/2 to a 4 / 4+!

I have also been advised that "... the run can be handled by any stock 4x4. Longer vehicles will have to make a few multi-point turns and those with open diffs might have to make a couple of attempts in a couple of spots."

Please review the list of WATTORA standard equipment on the following web page:

http://www.wattora.com/requiredequipment/

This list was developed after numerous WATTORA trail rides. It is considered "standard" so that all of the rigs in attendance will be prepared for the worst. It is the responsibility of the driver (not WATTORA) to have the needed equipment to tow/pull/repair their rig to get it out of the trail. Bottom line, if you do not have the gear to get out, it is your problem. WATTORA will help as much as we can, though.

If you have not completed a WATTORA liability waiver (required of all participants, not just drivers!), I will have them available for you to sign!

If you are planning on participating, please RSVP via the following web page:

http://www.dog-walker.us/WATTORA Trails/2006-08-19.htm

According to the ranger, if you have a street legal vehicle, no special permits or passes are required.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at paulp575 AT dog-walker DOT us

Here's looking for a good turnout,

Paul