Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Should I buy a Dodge Stealth??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a Dodge Stealth??

What do you guys think.. I am going to sell my Jeep for $3000.. (I just bought it about 2 months ago for $1000) I also just sold my T-Bird.. Now that gives me a nice $3500 wad of cash. I have a car I am looking at. My brother in law has a early 90's Dodge Stealth ES in his driveway (a good friend of his owns it..) I can buy it for $1500.. It could use a fender (door hit the edge, but I think I can still repair it if they are $$) It needs a set of seat covers and a shift boot but it is in nice shape.. Red on black leather. 112,000 miles.. What do ya think?? I have heard very little good or bad about these cars.. They just seem to be there, Ya know what I mean??
I will still have my 4Runner don't worry.. But I just can not drive the Runner all day 100-200 miles a day.. Also, I can not buy expensve cars.. I do about 50k a year, Cheap cars are where it's at.. My 87 T-Bird, I loved driving that car! I paid $700 for it, put 35k on it and sold it for $500.. The Heep? Paid $1000 for it, put 6k on it.. and got $3000 for it
Old 07-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

All I know about it is that it shares the same platform as the Mitsubishi 3000GT. That means it may be expensive to repair if something major goes on it.

I personally will not buy anything made by Chrysler again. But for $1500 it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.

BTW, that's a pretty nice return on the Heep.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:42 PM

Buy a mid 90's Corolla for that cash and drive it into the ground, if you can
Old 07-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

You got me really excited there for a sec, I thought it was going to be an R/T. These cars were overlooked, for a while there, they were Dodge's fastest production car out, then the Viper came along and suddenly hu? what? what is a stealth?? anyway. Its basicly a mitsubishi 3000gt. I haven't heard any bad things about these cars except for the fact that they are extremely heavy. Though, that could only be partaining to the R/T / VR4 varriants as they both had awd. Overall, I think you will be happy with the car as long as it hasn't been abused. Sounds like its been out in the sun a bit if the apulstry is going. How is the paint? Have you driven it? Take it to a mechanic you trust, and see what they say. Anyhoo, good luck finding your new wheels!
Old 07-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Yea the twin turbo RT is one fast SOB.. I have driven a Viper and the Twin Turbo.. and I gotta tell you, I think the Twin Turbo seemed quicker.. (maybe not faster, but quicker)

This is also the same motor they put in their flag ship Diamainte and may be the same that is in the Eclipse (I am not sure).

I think I may go for it unless I find something whacked tomorow.. As for a Corolla?? WTF?? Why don't ya cut my nuts off too?? I don't think so my friend.. there is no way I will buy a "eco-box" no matter how good on gas it is.. Give me a car under my butt..
Old 07-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
As for a Corolla?? WTF?? Why don't ya cut my nuts off too?? I don't think so my friend.. there is no way I will buy a "eco-box" no matter how good on gas it is.. Give me a car under my butt..
Priceless! Although I admit when we were looking for a 2nd car, a Corolla sure was looking good with that 40 MPG.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:41 PM

Stealth - 3000GT , same cars. Not sure how tall you are , but I am 6-2 and drove both of these cars in the early 90s. I always felt like a bullet being shoved in the chamber of a rifle when getting in the seat !! Dont plan on using the backseat for anything but looks either. Too bad it's not an R/T. Boost is cool. You could find a nice 3rd gen N/A Supra for that money , and still have Toyota quality , plus a nice ride.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Ah Bugger.. My sister just called and told me the kid is going to be putting it on the road as a del buying a truck fell through.. Oh well.. Ya win some, ya lose some..

Maybe I will pop-rivet a patch in the floor of the Heep tomorow..
Old 07-19-2003, 07:30 AM

As Crappy as Eco-boxes are, Ive had to drive my wifes 02' corolla while my 'runner has been in the collision center the last month + a week, and its pretty speedy thing... and it sure is saving me gas money.... of course my wife is tired of me mentioning things like "hey honey, this thing would sure rock with rims and some small sidewalled tires..." or "This thing could sure use an air intake" hehe... she wont let me touch her car... she says I have my own truck, to not touch hers...

(but between you and me... that car is in my name... but I wont bring that up )
Old 07-19-2003, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dads friend has one. It is a really nice and fast car! The car is way cool! You should buy it.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:42 AM

Oh yea and an addition, I used to be a DSM owner and follower before my 4runner (until my friend jowie took me out with Rob and Gene offroading) they converted me...

Anyways I had a 98 Mitsu Eclipse GSX (AWD turbo) and that thing was speedy... heh turbos sound good spooling...

and if your going for a 3000gt/stealth... you want to make sure you get the 3000gt Vr4 or stealth r/t never get a non-turbo'd or AWD, sure it might be more, but it will be cheaper in the long run than converting a non to a turbo...

Before I got my eclipse me and jowie test drove a stealth r/t and the stealership was trying to hawk a bad car, I think it was stolen, there were wires cut all over.. and we took it out for a test drive.. it sure was fun... the suspension button was interesting too... but when we got back due to the engine making ticking noises we decided we should keep looking =)
Old 07-19-2003, 12:27 PM
TOR

Dodge Stealth

Dodge sucks, nuff said!

Todd
Old 07-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

My mother in law had one of those and I didn't think it drove or rode very nice. A lot of stuff broke also - I'd stay away
Old 07-21-2003, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

OMG, I wanted one of those soooooo bad when I was in high school!! I would have done just about anything to own one.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:18 AM

My partner at work has one. I LOVE to drive it. The Stealth is made by Mit and is very similar to the 3000GT except fot the front/rear bumper. Kind of like the difference between a Camaro and Firebird. He has not had any problems with his except for replacing the ABS pickup assembly on the rear of the car. I think it was a recall so it was free. The car is unbelievebly fast and because of the AWD its hard to spin the tires, even with 325 HP. It handles excellently. The car also has 4 wheel steering. He researched these cars a lot before buying and they seem to have a very good record. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will ask him when he gets to work.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:55 AM

I owned a Stealth R/T non-turbo for 5 years before trading it in for the 4Runner. I miss that car like you wouldn't believe. I'm a sports car guy at heart, but the Stealth was getting old and I needed something more *practical*.
Reliability wasn't too bad. The only serious problem I had with the car was the tranny blew a carrier bearing @80K miles. That could have been my fault though, because I had a centerforce clutch...the extra grip from that clutch put more strain on the tranny.
The big thing about Stealths & 3000GT's is to make sure the 60K &/or 120K service has been done. The waterpumps have a tendency to fail and if your timing belt breaks you're screwed. Like any car, if you take care of it and do the routine maintenance it will last a long time. I hope to buy another some day
For more info check out http://www.3si.org

Last edited by The Silent Man; 07-21-2003 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
of course spammers dig up really old threads

Last edited by Elton; 11-13-2011 at 01:03 AM.