Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Looking to buy my friend Toyota EVER!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy my friend Toyota EVER!!

Hey guys and gals, nice site

Im needing a lil truck as a everyday driver and have been considering a 1986 toyota pick up. I dont know anything about these trucks, and im wanting to get some personal opinions and info as to these make good drivers, are parts expensive ect ect. I found a 1986 Pick up on craigs list with a 4cyl 4 speed with the carb 22r i believe. The cab is in great shape with a nice wooden flat bed for $1400 obo. any feed back would be great thanks

Marty from Kentucky

Last edited by MartyMar502; 10-18-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech, Marty!

Well, .... 86 in regards to Pick Ups is as good a year as many.... but not 'any' in many opinions. Depends on what you like, body style, etc. It also varies, largely, pertaining to what you like as far as EFI/CARB, too.(I'd go EFI, personally, if I was going for a pick up/older rig).

1400$ isn't HIGH, ..... as long as it's in really good shape and low miles(under 180K or so?) Not likely with a flat bed, as it's likely been a work truck... Which also brings into the discussion, "How HARD did it work?"

There are MANY tests you can perform(ones that I would, including compression, test driving the drive-train and even doing some stationary testing of the steering/suspension components.

Check the brakes as well. I always look under the dash for leaking master cylinders/check the calipers & wheel cylinders as well....

On the test drive, test the brakes well and listen close for any wheel bearing/trans/driveshaft/u-joints issues, too.

Let it run for 20 minutes or so, also.... let it idle to see if it overheats, .......if the HG is starting to go, etc.

Listen up front for waterpump or otherwise noises going on.

Look in the radiator for heavy clogging up of the rods, etc.

I've seen 94 or so Pick ups for around 2G's, pretty clean, lower miles, not work trucks, with the bed pretty clean of massive wear, etc.(I check to see if the rear suspension is somewhat shot out).

I'm not saying that's a bad deal..... but I'd shop around, personally, before I bit the bullet, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-18-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to YotaTech my friend! Chef ya beat me to the punch, lol! There are some good people here and very informative reading to boot. First off, pics would be best to help you determine the condition, but for the basics, hows the frame, is it rusty, leaks, you know all the norm. How many miles? What will you have to put into it? I own an 86' 4runner and have had a 95' runner for nearly 7 years now and going from a more luxurious v6 4door to the 4 cylinder 2 door there are no complaints. I love my toys and will never let them go. Not a powerhouse by any means though just so you are aware. Get some decent tires, keep good lubricant/proper maintenance and you should never have a problem with her. Other than that, $1,400 is not bad at all for a decent rig, I paid $1,500 myself and after a new heart transplant and some much needed love she is simply amazing! Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I would be happy to help if I can. Happy buying

Last edited by dubbsbetty; 10-18-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys :)

Hey thanks for the quick replys heres the link on craigslist http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/2651635963.html
I didnt catch it before but it says it has a new 22r with decent miles on it, and ive been talking to the owner via text and sent me a pic of the interior and its lookin to be pretty clean, and I actually think I could get it for $1200! And im not looking for a hard core trail rig,just something to get back and forth to work with,and maybe the occassion light trail driving at dirty turtle off road park. Are parts expensive,and where do I go for parts I know you can build jeeps from a book, I have a WWII Willys MB I can buy anything for, but not sure about toys.

Oh one more thing its carberated, which I kinda dig carbs over EFI, im one of the WD40 Duct Tape guys..lol I hate electronics..unless it plays tunes..or its a hot chic with big boobs on a I phone..lmfao

Last edited by MartyMar502; 10-18-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Welllllllll now! lol..... "4X4" CHANGES LOTS! Lol. I thought for some reason it was a "pick up/2wd".... in which case '1400$' MIGHT have been questionable. Seeing that it's 4wd and 'rust free'(verify that, PLEASE?), .... that changes things. What really changes things is the "VERY NEGOTIABLE" portion of his add.

Got take a look, drive it as long as he'll let you(freeway too!) and then make him an offer. I would start at 1000$ just to see what he says... then work up to 1200 from there. He might still want more, but at least you've started at a 'fairly' respectable low that most likely wont get you a "Maw..........get the rifle!", right? hahaha.

Funny reply, btw, lol.